Thread: vibration

Spyder Garage

Default vibration

There probably is a thread somewhere on this subject and if so direct me. I have a 2015 RT Special Series with 10k miles I have had it for 2 months, bought from a friend with 8500 on it. At 55 to 70 there was an extreme vibration, I could only describe as wheels out of balance. I put beads in the front tires, and no change. I took it to my dealer and told them I had beads, they then removed the wheel weight on all three tires, and adjusted the belt and said that solved the problem.. I went on a 400 mile ride yesterday, and that didnt solve the problem. It is better, but the shaking now seems to be coming from the rear. As I note the vibration, the front wheels don't seem to be shaking, just the rest of the bike. Is this something that a belt tensioner would resolve, or what might your thoughts be.. The rear tire did not have beads in it when the dealer removed the weights, I have since put them in the rear tire as well. (This was before my ride yesterday) I knew the weights needed to be removed if installing beads, but I couldn't see any. Guess I just missed them. You would think a machine close to 30k would have a smoother ride than I am getting. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    There probably is a thread somewhere on this subject and if so direct me. I have a 2015 RT Special Series with 10k miles I have had it for 2 months, bought from a friend with 8500 on it. At 55 to 70 there was an extreme vibration, I could only describe as wheels out of balance. I put beads in the front tires, and no change. I took it to my dealer and told them I had beads, they then removed the wheel weight on all three tires, and adjusted the belt and said that solved the problem.. I went on a 400 mile ride yesterday, and that didnt solve the problem. It is better, but the shaking now seems to be coming from the rear. As I note the vibration, the front wheels don't seem to be shaking, just the rest of the bike. Is this something that a belt tensioner would resolve, or what might your thoughts be.. The rear tire did not have beads in it when the dealer removed the weights, I have since put them in the rear tire as well. (This was before my ride yesterday) I knew the weights needed to be removed if installing beads, but I couldn't see any. Guess I just missed them. You would think a machine close to 30k would have a smoother ride than I am getting. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
    I had a bad vibration on my 2014 and I put on doc damper on the belt stop my vibration totally

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found the beads didn't work on the front wheels for my spyder..And needed a proper balance.

Are the handlebars shaking ?

If its the rear you think have the beads removed and rebalanced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I found the beads didn't work on the front wheels for my spyder..And needed a proper balance.

Are the handlebars shaking ?

If its the rear you think have the beads removed and rebalanced.
    My dealer said they balance the rear wheel with beads. I guess that's easier than removing the wheel. and yes the handlebars are shaking. But I don't see any shaking on the fenders of the front wheels like before removing the wheel weights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

so you have hit the Harmonic "sweet spot " for the drive belt.
    A tensioner WILL help. Otherwise, learn to drive through it.
    Lot's of times I will just unload , the throttle a bit, (trail throttle) and it will go away.
    You are barely acquainted with you Ryde. You will figure this and some the other
    "quirkery" as you go. Stay safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based upon the speed at which the vibration occurs: this is a harmonic belt vibration.
    Call Doc Humphrey; he'll fix you up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If that's the case the belt tension can be adjusted to help with some of that vibration

Spyder Garage

Default vibration

I just had it to the dealer, they said probably belt adjustment, which they did, better but still there. will go the tensioner route in future, after I get some other quirks figured out. Only have so much play money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So many farkles: so little cash...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black