Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryde your Spyder and get fit!

Last week I got a Fitbit so I can see how much activity I get. I don't really need a gadget to tell me that I have turned into a sloth, but my new company is encouraging us to get fit by giving us a $50/month cut in our health insurance premium if we do certain things, so I figured what the heck.

I was getting a few thousand steps a day, far short of the ten thousand steps a day goal, but then I went on a ryde, and the magic happened!

In only seventy short miles, I walked over eight thousand steps, and as a bonus, I climbed thirty-six flights of stairs! And all I had to do was ryde a nice, twisty road with some bumps.

I love my Spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keeping your Spyder fit: PRICELESS!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Last week I got a Fitbit so I can see how much activity I get. I don't really need a gadget to tell me that I have turned into a sloth, but my new company is encouraging us to get fit by giving us a $50/month cut in our health insurance premium if we do certain things, so I figured what the heck.

I was getting a few thousand steps a day, far short of the ten thousand steps a day goal, but then I went on a ryde, and the magic happened!

In only seventy short miles, I walked over eight thousand steps, and as a bonus, I climbed thirty-six flights of stairs! And all I had to do was ryde a nice, twisty road with some bumps.

I love my Spyder!
    I wondered if anyone else had this to happen. I tend to gain about 1000 steps for every 20-25 miles that I ride my spyder. Suppose to be in the mid 60's here today, so I may go out and try to get some exercise done. On the spyder of course.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anybody tried hooking one of those "watches", to the A-arms?

Spyder Garage

My Garmin VivoSmart needs to find a pulse or it doesn't count steps, & I believe the Fitbits are the same...... so Bob, no matter how you might treat your Spyder or what you might call it, or even whatever mystical abilities you might attribute to yours, I still don't think our Spyders actually have a pulse!

However, my Spyder isn't anywhere near as much 'exercise' as my rally prepared Suzuki SX4!! A whole day of 'spirited ryding' on the Spyder, even on the local rough & twisty roads, only seems to gather a few thousand 'steps' (maybe that's because I try to practice ryding smoothly as well as fast?!) but if I spend just an hour or so of 'spirited driving' in the SX4 on the same roads, I'll miraculously pick up at least a couple of 'Tens of Thousand' steps!! And yet I'd swear that an hour of 'spirited ryding' on the Spyder is actually a far better workout than an hour of 'spirited driving' in the SX4!!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Has anybody tried hooking one of those "watches", to the A-arms?
    Not the A-arm, but I did think if putting one on my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter. She is so hype, that I would get my 10k steps in no time.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

When I ride, my activity tracker thinks I'm on a bicycle and congratulates me on the workout.

Sent telepathically

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FITBIT ??????

On the other side of this is ...... this may prove the info from the " FITBIT " isn't VALID, I doubt riding your Spyder - no matter how spirited - is in someway equal to jogging, running, bicycling, or climbing stairs. So to those who think they can drive their Spyder to better health may be deluding themselves........ jmho ... Mike

Spyder Garage

This is why my doctor always makes me get blood work done... and I fail. Damn.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love my Spyder!
    Thanks for this, I'm forwarding it to my wife and taking a copy to the Doctor.

Also, try it a few more times and post the results. Since you are wearing it the Fitbit must be registering your heartbeat.
    Last edited by Habib; 01-18-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    My Garmin VivoSmart needs to find a pulse or it doesn't count steps, & I believe the Fitbits are the same...... so Bob, no matter how you might treat your Spyder or what you might call it, or even whatever mystical abilities you might attribute to yours, I still don't think our Spyders actually have a pulse!
    Yesterday I put my Fitbit in the glove compartment during my commute, and the magic didn't happen. No extra steps, no stairs climbed. I won't make that mistake again!

As far as driving yourself to better health, why not? Sure, it doesn't have the aerobic properties of running, or the strength-building properties of kettlebells, but the mental health benefit of these wonderful machines has got to be way up there. There's a lot to be said for putting a smile on your face!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Does and doesn't

Have to agree...some nervous white knuckle ryder would score high on these trackers while the calm enjoy the sights types would seem to be standing still...It's more of a heart healthy machine than an excersise machine. It does give you a good amount of it but not like running, jogging or bycycling. I do get somewhat beat after a 600 to 800 mile ryde and do a bit isometric excersise as I ryde....still way better that watching TV, reading etc...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When I saw the results on my Fitbit I called Fitbit and asked about it. Customer service read what she thought was a good answer for my question which did not come close. She finally gave me an email address for the tech design folks. They confirmed what a couple of people have said - the Fitbit algorithms are fooled by the foot and arm movement as well heart rate. Getting a little exercise but no where near what the Fitbit says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesterday I put my Fitbit in the glove compartment during my commute, and the magic didn't happen. No extra steps, no stairs climbed. I won't make that mistake again!

As far as driving yourself to better health, why not? Sure, it doesn't have the aerobic properties of running, or the strength-building properties of kettlebells, but the mental health benefit of these wonderful machines has got to be way up there. There's a lot to be said for putting a smile on your face!

Wind is Cheap.jpg

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Now I wont have to do as much PT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes you will...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On the other side of this is ...... this may prove the info from the " FITBIT " isn't VALID, I doubt riding your Spyder - no matter how spirited - is in someway equal to jogging, running, bicycling, or climbing stairs. So to those who think they can drive their Spyder to better health may be deluding themselves........ jmho ... Mike
    Has anyone ever seen the Grinch and Mike together in the same room? Bloody spoil sport.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

With all the bitching and sniping on here, I can't see how there is that much time for smiling. Read the parking thread, and you might wonder how many on here have the health benefit of high blood pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

However, my Spyder isn't anywhere near as much 'exercise' as my rally prepared Suzuki SX4!! A whole day of 'spirited ryding' on the Spyder, even on the local rough & twisty roads, only seems to gather a few thousand 'steps' (maybe that's because I try to practice ryding smoothly as well as fast?!) but if I spend just an hour or so of 'spirited driving' in the SX4 on the same roads, I'll miraculously pick up at least a couple of 'Tens of Thousand' steps!! And yet I'd swear that an hour of 'spirited ryding' on the Spyder is actually a far better workout than an hour of 'spirited driving' in the SX4!!
    Actually the lower end Fitbits only read on vibration. When I was using those an hour or so on the bike or the Spyder would get me my 10,000,steps every time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Has anyone ever seen the Grinch and Mike together in the same room? Bloody spoil sport.

Pete
    grinchsmile.jpgDSCF2120.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wink

I have the new Charge 2 Fitbit, which also has a barometric sensor. It detects changes in altitude in order to measure flights of stairs climbed.

For the record, the OP was intended as satire.
    I think a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji would be very useful, as it would tip off readers to not take the post seriously.

Sheesh.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought it was funny...
    But I sometimes get a chuckle or two out of the Obituary Section!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The reason I wasn't smiling in that Pic was ..... I had just lost my " FRUNK " somewhere and Machingunner was kind enough to point that out ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember all of that...
    I think that you were looking over at MY bike, and wondering if I'd notice, if my Frunk disappeared!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe wears his Fitbit on his dominant arm so he logs steps when riding, I wear mine on my left arm and it doesn't register any extra movement for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622