Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Sanity Check

I have a 2011 RT. Had a brake failure code (think it was C1284 (low brake pressure)). I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to BUDS and couldn't clear the code. They are telling me that they cleaned the pistons of the front calipers and that has seemed to fix it. They rode it 10 miles and deemed it fixed. They plan on taking it out again tomorrow to verify that it is still good. I asked them if this is a common occurrence, and they led me to believe that it was a shot in the dark.

Does anyone have experience with this issue, and could this be the root cause of my code?

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure

That cleaning the pistons on the front brakes is the solution. If they also bled the system including the computer controled section or flushed the system if it had not been done in some time I would be more comfrotable. If you felt no change or the fluid was not low it may not have been the problem. Usually low pressure would be air in the lines or water in the fluid. Hope they did check it all and if the warning is gone and does not return you will be fine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyjhuber View Post
    I have a 2011 RT. Had a brake failure code (think it was C1284 (low brake pressure)). I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to BUDS and couldn't clear the code. They are telling me that they cleaned the pistons of the front calipers and that has seemed to fix it. They rode it 10 miles and deemed it fixed. They plan on taking it out again tomorrow to verify that it is still good. I asked them if this is a common occurrence, and they led me to believe that it was a shot in the dark.

Does anyone have experience with this issue, and could this be the root cause of my code?
    My advice is .................................. RUN FROM THIS DEALER .......... everyone I know or have ever heard about Adds a tablespoon of Brake fluid and this fixes the problem .............. good luck .... mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My advice is .................................. RUN FROM THIS DEALER .......... everyone I know or have ever heard about Adds a tablespoon of Brake fluid and this fixes the problem .............. good luck .... mike
    x 2. A simple fix and if that is the situation it will save you money. The fluid level is sensitive. Usually, if you get off level as in, either up or down a steep hill, it can rear its ugly head. My first time was going down a steep mountain pass. I pulled over and found that my brakes were still sufficient. When I got down to level--thirteen miles later, all was well. It needed about a tablespoon of fluid when I got home.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not true Mike, sometimes it takes 4 to 6 tablespoons!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tried that before I took it to the dealer. No luck!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

[QUOTE=Buckeye Bleau;1310062]Not true Mike, sometimes it takes 4 to 6 tablespoons!

Joe[/QUOTE]......... Yep you added a lot more .......... But since you didn't check to see if the code CLEARED with only One TBLS , ..... we'll never know ....... No biggy, it would take quite a bit to over-fill it ...... The NANNY generally triggers long before it actually gets dangerously LOW ...... PS I discovered all the messages and PICS you sent to my Phone ............... PPS on texting reply messages I can't find the space icon ( for between words ) ???? PPPS we need to start planning for NEXT year ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

I know I'm bucking the trend here and really, there isn't enough information to make a solid judgment. But I'd say a dealer that will admit they are taking a 'Shot In The Dark' means at least they are being honest. Keeping the Spyder overnight and going for a 2nd test ride is also in their favor in my book. Add to this that the OP says he added fluid before taking it to the dealer and we may be coming to a negative judgement prematurely.

I'm as skeptical about dealerships as the next guy. I've had customers get taken to the cleaners with bogus 'Fix' stories. And I have too. But there are some good people out there and I want to be careful not to down them until I'm pretty sure they need it.

Let's hope for the best and that the OP gets this fixed with a minimum of cost and time. If not. I'm ready to jump into the pond with the others on this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Code C1284 has nothing to do with fluid level in the reservoir. Adding fluid for this code is a waste of effort. C1284 is a low pressure fault. That means the brake pedal traveled too far before building brake fluid pressure. Happens after a brake pad change by pumping the brakes up with the key on. Instead of pumping them up first. Also because there is a leak in the system. Could be external but also internal, faulty master cylinder. Most common cause is contaminated brake fluid.

I have no idea what cleaning the pistons was suppose to do. But it sounds like they would have bled the brakes to do that. That would maybe have fixed it.

Code C1284 is resettable in BUDS. There is a whole section in the service manual on how to do that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure

Anytime you remove the brake resivor caps make sure there put on properly or you will lose fluid again slowly an the Failure light will reappear. There is a raised bar on the cap that must face the rear of the bike to allow air to escape w/o loss of fluid.