Thread: NHTSA

Spyder Garage

Post NHTSA

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17V318
    Manufacturer : Bombardier Recreational Products Inc.
    Subject : Low Beam may Shine Too High/FMVSS 108
    Make Model Model Years
    CAN-AM SPYDER RT 2017

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This isn't a problem: it's just an easy adjustment...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile

You forgot to blame it on the dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As part of the PDI: they should take note of where the lights are pointing...

Spyder Garage

It's not an easy adjustment. It requires replacement with new headlights as per BRPCare posting a week or 2 ago.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Talking Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's not an easy adjustment. It requires replacement with new headlights as per BRPCare posting a week or 2 ago.
    But, that's not what Bob said.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

The bulletin says the headlight assembly was improperly assembled. I can see how an optic issue can cause this to happen and an adjustment will not cure it. When you adjust the headlight adjustment, it affects both the high and low beam.

So if you adjust the low beam to compensate, then the high beam will be too low. I have intimate knowledge about the headlights and modified, mine. I was very unhappy with the low beam on my RTL. It was way too low, adjusting the low beam where I like it put the high beam in the trees!

So I shimmed the shutter slightly with a plastic shim, so more of the low beam is exposed. This also stops the annoying moving of the shutter while riding over bumps.

Too bad BRP did not have an adjustment to adjust the shutter independent of the optics, they would not have had to perform a recall.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Nissan cars had the same problem way back when. turned out that the company that made their headlights had to make good for the recall. and all the headlights had to be changed on that year cars
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks....

Thanks for the info. Know we have had several postings about headlights being off. Now I know why and those with the problem know what to do...sure even the dealers tried the whole adjustment thing and found it did not fix the problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Jerbear,

Re: NHTSA Recall

This is indicative of a Quality Program that is not functioning properly. If it were, they would have caught this upon incoming inspection.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Jerbear,

Re: NHTSA Recall

This is indicative of a Quality Program that is not functioning properly. If it were, they would have caught this upon incoming inspection.

Jerry Baumchen
    Well I have to disagree with that assumption. I worked for a while in the motor vehicle lighting OE parts industry. No vehicle manufacturer tests headlights or any lights for that matter to see if they conform to FMVSS 108 standard. They just do not have the equipment or the expertise. All they likely do on the line is confirm they come on and aim only one of the beams. I will assume that Hella is still their headlight manufacturer and they should have caught the problem. Inspecting parts at incoming is a concept that for the most part went away in the 1980s.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi Billy,

Re: Inspecting parts at incoming is a concept that for the most part went away in the 1980s.

Let me say it again: This is indicative of a Quality Program that is not functioning properly.

If that is in fact the case, then why have a Quality Program at all?

Part of my work in Contract Management for the the federal gov't over a 30-yr period was to determine if Quality Programs were properly implemented.

No incoming inspection => no approved Quality Program.

I also own a parachute design & manufacturing business. I can assure you, if I did not have incoming inspection as part of my Quality Program I would lose my certification(s).

Looks like BRP is merely trying save a few bucks at someone else's expense.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also own a parachute design & manufacturing business. I can assure you, if I did not have incoming inspection as part of my Quality Program I would lose my certification(s).
    It's worse than that: you'd also be losing your customers!

Spyder Garage

It looks like I picked a good time to get some new LED headlights to replace the burned out OEM. At least, the current seem to be aimed in the right direction on my 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi Billy,

Re: Inspecting parts at incoming is a concept that for the most part went away in the 1980s.

Let me say it again: This is indicative of a Quality Program that is not functioning properly.

If that is in fact the case, then why have a Quality Program at all?

Part of my work in Contract Management for the the federal gov't over a 30-yr period was to determine if Quality Programs were properly implemented.

No incoming inspection => no approved Quality Program.

Looks like BRP is merely trying save a few bucks at someone else's expense.

Jerry Baumchen
    The recall only affects approx 92 spyders total. So I guess their quality control is working.

here is article about recall
    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...-rt-headlight/
    Last edited by Marker; 05-29-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It looks like I picked a good time to get some new LED headlights to replace the burned out OEM. At least, the current seem to be aimed in the right direction on my 2014.
    Which ones did you get?
    Foglights too?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's worse than that: you'd also be losing your customers!
    Weeell, not really Bob, he'd likely only be losing the Repeat customers.... there probably wouldn't be too many of them coming back after a canopy failure!! They'd just be too depressed to bother!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Which ones did you get?
    Foglights too?
    I got the bulbs for my headlights from TriCled. They are shipping them along with the stick on mirrors that I ordered for both . I looked at the others offered, and these seemed less hassle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Weeell, not really Bob, he'd likely only be losing the Repeat customers.... there probably wouldn't be too many of them coming back after a canopy failure!! They'd just be too depressed to bother!
    That's what I meant...

Spyder Garage

ok i didn't read all the posts, but i would think the bulbs them selves have been tested to see if the light. the molds for the plastic injection of the housing for the headlamp is done and looked at. then all is assembled. at that point it is assembled and shipped to BRP. when a bike is on the assembly line. it reaches the section where the headlights are installed and they are screwed in and the bike moves on. i would think it is all set up so they don't need to be aligned, and that one mistake can lead to many before it is figured out. DO I MAKE ANY SENSE
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    ok i didn't read all the posts, but i would think the bulbs them selves have been tested to see if the light. the molds for the plastic injection of the housing for the headlamp is done and looked at. then all is assembled. at that point it is assembled and shipped to BRP. when a bike is on the assembly line. it reaches the section where the headlights are installed and they are screwed in and the bike moves on. i would think it is all set up so they don't need to be aligned, and that one mistake can lead to many before it is figured out. DO I MAKE ANY SENSE
    As much as you ever do John. But all kidding aside, I think you are exactly right. I guess in the overall scope of things, 92 Spyders is really not that many. Unless one of them is yours. (Not yours, John). Now, does anyone think that BRP will be proactive in finding the owners of these 92 Spyders, having their dealer notify them, send the parts to the dealer, have the dealer call the owner when they have the parts, schedule an appointment (quickly) and get the Spyder back to it's owner? Or will it be the usual - owner finds out on his own that his/her particular Spyder is part of the recall, calls the dealer multiple times (As I have had to do) and ask them to order parts and make an appointment, dealer either says they have no idea what the owner is talking about or that they can't order parts until BRP says they can do so. (This also has happened to me with the 2013 RT recall). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    As much as you ever do John. But all kidding aside, I think you are exactly right. I guess in the overall scope of things, 92 Spyders is really not that many. Unless one of them is yours. (Not yours, John). Now, does anyone think that BRP will be proactive in finding the owners of these 92 Spyders, having their dealer notify them, send the parts to the dealer, have the dealer call the owner when they have the parts, schedule an appointment (quickly) and get the Spyder back to it's owner? Or will it be the usual - owner finds out on his own that his/her particular Spyder is part of the recall, calls the dealer multiple times (As I have had to do) and ask them to order parts and make an appointment, dealer either says they have no idea what the owner is talking about or that they can't order parts until BRP says they can do so. (This also has happened to me with the 2013 RT recall). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

From the Asphalt and Rubber report.

BRP will notify affected owners, and Can-Am dealers will replace the defective headlights, free of charge.

BRP has not yet provided a notification schedule for this recall, but concerned Spyder RT owners may contact BRP customer service at 1-888-272-9222.

As always, the NHTSA is also available at 1-888-327-4236 and safercar.gov.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    From the Asphalt and Rubber report.

BRP will notify affected owners, and Can-Am dealers will replace the defective headlights, free of charge.

BRP has not yet provided a notification schedule for this recall, but concerned Spyder RT owners may contact BRP customer service at 1-888-272-9222.

As always, the NHTSA is also available at 1-888-327-4236 and safercar.gov.

I'm thinking that your post is from the NHTSA site. So, I'm guessing that even the pre-recall letters from BRP have not yet gone out. You know, the one you get that tells you a recall is coming, but no idea when. At least this time, they are divulging what the fix will be.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Safety Recall 2017-002/3 : Headlight Replacement

Hi everyone,

Just so you know, the Warranty Bulletin posted previously is now considered a Safety Recall. For more information, please click here.

Ryde Safe!

Sandra - BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    As much as you ever do John. But all kidding aside, I think you are exactly right. I guess in the overall scope of things, 92 Spyders is really not that many. Unless one of them is yours. (Not yours, John).

Now, does anyone think that BRP will be proactive in finding the owners of these 92 Spyders, having their dealer notify them, send the parts to the dealer, have the dealer call the owner when they have the parts, schedule an appointment (quickly) and get the Spyder back to it's owner? Or will it be the usual
    - owner finds out on his own that his/her particular Spyder is part of the recall,

calls the dealer multiple times (As I have had to do) and ask them to order parts and make an appointment, dealer either says they have no idea what the owner is talking about or that they can't order parts until BRP says they can do so. (This also has happened to me with the 2013 RT recall). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Your question has been answered.

Just so you know, the Warranty Bulletin for Possible Headlights Replacement - #2017-0002/3 posted previously is now considered a Safety Recall.

Name of the recall : Non-Compliance: Headlight replacement - Headlights may Shine Too High
    Number of the recall : 2017–0002/3

It concerns certain model year 2017 Can-Am Spyder RT roadsters. Please check with your dealer to see if your Spyder is affected.

Ryde Safe!

Sandra - BRPcare