Thread: Rear tire wear

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire wear

Had a new rear tire installed about 1000 miles ago. Old tire was worn down, but evenly. Roughly 19,000 on a factory tire. The tire I had mounted and installed was a Vee Arachnid. Trailered the bike to Comfort, Texas from home. Rode The Three Twisted Sisters on Saturday and then some. Put over 400 miles on the bike. Inspecting the bike Sunday and my rear tire is worn to cord. But only on the right side. No scuffing. Like the tire is running primarily on the right side. 'Leaning' is the best description I can come up with. Not visible to the eye, but wear indicates this. Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

A lot of people here don't think much of the Arachnid tire. Not much better than the stock Kendas but at only 1000 miles you shouldn't have that kind of wear yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not visible to the eye but wear indicates this." Check the air pressure to make sure it's correct. And I'd contact the shop that installed it and ask them what's up.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While running mine I found it would wear on once side more than the other but also seen they were never even from new. At 400 miles you should not be down to the cord. Or are you referring to the wear line?

Have any pics you can share?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default V - RUBBER TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by altonforbus View Post
    Had a new rear tire installed about 1000 miles ago. Old tire was worn down, but evenly. Roughly 19,000 on a factory tire. The tire I had mounted and installed was a Vee Arachnid. Trailered the bike to Comfort, Texas from home. Rode The Three Twisted Sisters on Saturday and then some. Put over 400 miles on the bike. Inspecting the bike Sunday and my rear tire is worn to cord. But only on the right side. No scuffing. Like the tire is running primarily on the right side. 'Leaning' is the best description I can come up with. Not visible to the eye, but wear indicates this. Any ideas?
    Not to diss you , but I see you have been here since 2015 ..... but I guess you don't read / follow what's discussed on this Forum ....... otherwise you have learned that the Vee Arachnid is a much WORSE tire than the Kenda ( which is a very poor tire ) .... plus that company is a nightmare to deal with ....... try and get your money back and buy a General Altimax RT43 in 215/60-15 and get 30,000 + happy - safe miles at a minimum ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

No, it is to the cloth cord. I run the tire at 28 psi. Left side of the tire looks new. Is it possible awheel bearing is the cause?

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

it would seem you have a defective tire or there is something wrong with the installation and alignment. I ran two sets of Kendas with great results, may be the only one that has here, and read reviews on the Vee Arachnid but still wanted to try it myself. So far it has performed well with the only noticeable difference in that it breaks loose under hard acceleration more than the Kenda. Must be a harder compound. I would go back and show them the tire and the mileage and hope they will make it right...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well if its down to the cord then there is a problem someplace.. You should not be down to the cord at 400 miles. I have contacted Vee Rubber in the past and received a response from them.. May want to try your luck and contact them about the tire..

Spyder Garage

A picture of the tire would better. Like the old saying, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Agreed. Tire pressure in my opinion can't cause this wear. Skeptical about the tire itself doing it. My opinion is an alignment issue of some sort. Front to back alignment would cause scuffing. None present. Only the right side tread. Wreaks of more contact on that side. Just got home from Kerrville. Seven hour drive. Going to tear it apart this week and find the problem. Will take pictures when I do.

Spyder Garage

If you check back thru the other threads on these tires, it seems that the tires they make for Spyder rear ends do have a tendency to wear out on just the one side, & all without any alignment problems or leaning issues.....

So it's probably not worth wasting any time or effort trying to track down a likely non-existent problem, just see if you can get your $$ back on the tire & as others have said, move on to something better!

Spyder Garage

you have to run 30PSI with v rubber rear tire. or the edges will wear before the center . Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Good info guys. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran 30 PSI on mine and the edges wore before the middle.. But I also got 8k before I replaced to a car tire. Still had some life left in the tire but was taking a trip at the time..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As others have said the Vee Rubber tires are crap. I ran 3 of them, paid for one and was given the other 2 to test, all of them wore on the outer edges regardless of what tire pressure I ran. Vee Rubber has such a bad reputation that my local motorcycle tire store will not mount any tire made by them.

Sorry you wasted your money but the best thing you can do is throw it out and buy a car tire.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the belt riding in the same place on the pulleys, that it has in the past?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I did the same!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    it would seem you have a defective tire or there is something wrong with the installation and alignment. I ran two sets of Kendas with great results, may be the only one that has here, and read reviews on the Vee Arachnid but still wanted to try it myself. So far it has performed well with the only noticeable difference in that it breaks loose under hard acceleration more than the Kenda. Must be a harder compound. I would go back and show them the tire and the mileage and hope they will make it right...
    I also have done 2 sets of the Kenda's, I do not ride that hard anymore & got almost 20K on the first set. The back tire wore nice and even all the way across. Fronts wore because of poor factory/dealer alignment.
    The 2nd set has less than 8K miles and the rear is wore down through the wear bands in the CENTER only. You would think the tire has been over inflated, but it is cupped in the center like an under inflated tire. I ride 2up 95% of the time & keep it at 25psi.

I think the tire is just so weak in the tread area that it expands like a dragster;s rear tire under acceleration, not sure but that's all I can think of that would cause this type wear so soon.

The roads here in Southern Florida are quite course and I am sure that lends to the problem.

I just ordered the General Altimax RT43.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who replaced the tire for you? Was it a Spyder shop? If not, then perhaps they did not reinstall the wheel correctly.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the rubber compound on one side is a lot softer than the other side. I know Pirrelli makes soft tires but even those don't wear out in 400 miles.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Got it apart. Bearings smooth as silk. Belt alignment was spot on. Everything but the tire looks great. The Vee tire was installed at a dealer. Have a General Altimax coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Crap tire

Spyder Garage

Default YEP!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Crap tire

Spyder Garage

If you got 19,000 on the factory rear tire why would you not go with another just like it? My first factory tire on my "14 RTS barely made 5,000 miles. the second is slick and needs replacing with just under 14,000 total on the bike. So the second one has made it about 9,000. If I could get 19,000 on one I'd be tickled to death. Does anyone else get that kind of high mileage on a factory tire?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    If you got 19,000 on the factory rear tire why would you not go with another just like it? My first factory tire on my "14 RTS barely made 5,000 miles. the second is slick and needs replacing with just under 14,000 total on the bike. So the second one has made it about 9,000. If I could get 19,000 on one I'd be tickled to death. Does anyone else get that kind of high mileage on a factory tire?
    I consistently run 12K to 15K on the OEM Kenda rear tires. The only exception was the soft rubber compound that came on the 2014. I only got 8.9K on that one.

My front Kenda's get over 20K. Just replaced the fronts at 23K on the 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think I was unclear. The 19,000 miles was on two Kendas before I tried the Vee. As I said, I have a General coming. Will try that and see what happens. Thanks for all the input folks.