Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner in IL - couple of questions.

Hello everyone,

I've been browsing this board for a while now, and last week I finally became the owner of a 2014 RTL. I've learned a lot about Spyders from all of you already, and I'm looking forward to learning a great deal more. I definitely hope to see you all out on the road in the very near future.

I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I still need to get my motorcycle license here in Illinois. I'm going to take the written exam today, which will provide me with a permit. My first question is, what am I allowed to do with that permit. The Secretary of State website says that you need to be under the supervision of another person with a motorcycle license, but I'm not sure what that means. Does that person have to ride with me, along side me, or what?

Also, has anyone take the skills (riding) portion of the test on their Spyder? If so, what was that experience like, and would you recommend doing that?

Thanks everyone.

Mello

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took the Motorcycle Rider Program offered by the University of Illinois, http://www.mrp.uiuc.edu. The one I took was for two wheels but it has a lot of valuable info for riding any type of motorcycle. You can also take a course just for trikes but I believe it may be less widely offered. Upon successful completion of the course you will get a card that you take to the DMV and receive your Class M license because the written and skills tests are part of the course. Plus, many insurance companies will give you a discount for the course.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The supervising licensed rider has to be present nearby but NOT on the same machine.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

How long after you get your permit can you go for the license...? guess it varies with the state. What is the states requirements as to autos, do you have to have a licensed driver in the car with you at all times..? If I remember correcty my daughter could only drive daylight hours with no passenger or licenced passengers only. This was CT a long time ago. State DMV site should have all that information....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloMe View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been browsing this board for a while now, and last week I finally became the owner of a 2014 RTL. I've learned a lot about Spyders from all of you already, and I'm looking forward to learning a great deal more. I definitely hope to see you all out on the road in the very near future.

I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I still need to get my motorcycle license here in Illinois. I'm going to take the written exam today, which will provide me with a permit. My first question is, what am I allowed to do with that permit. The Secretary of State website says that you need to be under the supervision of another person with a motorcycle license, but I'm not sure what that means. Does that person have to ride with me, along side me, or what?

Also, has anyone take the skills (riding) portion of the test on their Spyder? If so, what was that experience like, and would you recommend doing that?

Thanks everyone.

Mello
    Hi, Welcome to Spyder Lovers
    I am from IL as well, far north suburbs just a few miles from beautiful Wisconsin with roads begging to go riding every day

With a drivers permit you can ride with someone who already has a driver's license for Motorcycles. I mean that person needs to be somewhere close on their own bike/spyder. Are you planning to do full license soon? I would recommend to go to state classes organised by colleges, i am not sure where you live exactly so i don't know what to recommend. I took a class at College of DuPage years ago but i know there is a lot of them all over IL. This is link to Harper College for example: http://goforward.harpercollege.edu/ce/mse/ . Here is a general link to those classes : http://www.startseeingmotorcycles.or...e_courses.aspx

Basically you pay $20 to register but you can get it back, plus if you complete this course and pass you get your M license and discount of Motorcycle Insurance
    Also if you see that there are no empty spots - just go to the first meeting they have - usually they take a few walk-ins

Have fun riding your Spyder - I know i love mine
    Let me know if you have any more questions
    Last edited by Marta919; 05-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    ---Marta ----

2017 Spyder F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 "BumbleBee"
    2007 Honda 919
    2012 Spyder RS-S SM5 angry orange

Spyder Garage

I cannot help with the DL information for IL. Just a and a

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I took the written test this afternoon and passed, so now I just have to pass the skills test. I'm going to get some practice in first, so I'll probably take it next week. None of my friends that ride motorcycles live near me, so its going to be hard to have a licensed rider with me when I practice. I'm going to just stay in the neighborhood and practice at some near by lots, and hope that I don't get stopped by any police. The last thing I need is a ticket.

Thanks again, and I appreciate the welcome.

Mello

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None of my friends that ride motorcycles live near me, so its going to be hard to have a licensed rider with me when I practice.
    BEFORE you go down to take the skills test........call the DMV and ask them about getting your ride to the testing station LEGALLY.
    They used to be real strict about that. A long time ago one of my friends was threatened with a ticket for riding to the office with only a permit.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new ryde!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None of my friends that ride motorcycles live near me, so its going to be hard to have a licensed rider with me when I practice. I'm going to just stay in the neighborhood and practice at some near by lots, and hope that I don't get stopped by any police. The last thing I need is a ticket.

Mello
    , and on getting the process started!
    You do NOT want to get stopped without having a licensed motorcyclist nearby!
    I know that the chances are slim... is it worth the problems that it WILL cause?
    How far away are you riding buddies? If necessary: leave the bike at one of their houses, and meet over there for your instructional riding!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dad just took his retest on his spyder and passed/ You don't get your drivers license right away. They have to do a background check before they give you a permanent license.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    My dad just took his retest on his spyder and passed/ You don't get your drivers license right away. They have to do a background check before they give you a permanent license.

trikermutha - This is in Illinois? I've never heard about having to do a background check to get a motorcycle license, or even a driver's license for that matter. Is this something new?

Spyder Garage

Default Take a Spyder course

I've been driving bikes since I was approx 12 years old , licensed at 16 . I took a Spyder course at Georgian college in Barrie ( Canada) mostly for the insurance discount involved, and found there was a LOT I did not know about these unique machines . Some of the people that took the course had never driven any Spyders before and many had never driven a motorcycle at all ( a few were quite obvious) . But by the end of the 2 day course all had a good basic knowledge of the Spyders and the most intimidated Ryder's had much more confidence . Not sure about the U.S. but in Canada you can get licensed by passing the courses as well .
    Good luck and happy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

trikermutha - This is in Illinois? I've never heard about having to do a background check to get a motorcycle license, or even a driver's license for that matter. Is this something new?
    yep in Chicago area too. They just started the background check last year I believe. Yes it is new. when you renew your license they do a extensive background check now..

Spyder Garage

Default That's insane.

Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone.

Mello
    That sounds pretty ludicrous to me. I seem to recall way back, Washington state law said the same thing. Now in order to obtain a permit you just need to be over 18 and have a valid Washington state drivers license. I mean really, how are you expected to find someone with a valid motorcycle license to be available to go out on a ride with you when ever you want to go out on a practice riding? According to one Illinois web site I looked at, it said you had to be accompanied by a license rider. That's crazy.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Holy Moly

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    yep in Chicago area too. They just started the background check last year I believe. Yes it is new. when you renew your license they do a extensive background check now..
    They do a background check on you just to get a drivers license? That's insane. I wonder what exactly they are looking for. Criminal convictions, showing up on a No Fly list, cheating on free popcorn refills at the movies? Illinois is pretty strange state.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    They do a background check on you just to get a drivers license? That's insane. I wonder what exactly they are looking for. Criminal convictions, showing up on a No Fly list, cheating on free popcorn refills at the movies? Illinois is pretty strange state.
    Pretty much everything.. Don't forget they want to know your shoe size too

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I took the written test this afternoon and passed, so now I just have to pass the skills test. I'm going to get some practice in first, so I'll probably take it next week. None of my friends that ride motorcycles live near me, so its going to be hard to have a licensed rider with me when I practice. I'm going to just stay in the neighborhood and practice at some near by lots, and hope that I don't get stopped by any police. The last thing I need is a ticket.

Mello
    Mello, don't know where you are but I am in the far West suburbs and am always looking for someone to ride with (not on your bike) if, let me know if I can help you practice.

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

I'm going to have to find one of those classes around where we live. My wife would love to get more experience on her bike.

Spyder Garage

Default getting to the test

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    BEFORE you go down to take the skills test........call the DMV and ask them about getting your ride to the testing station LEGALLY.
    They used to be real strict about that. A long time ago one of my friends was threatened with a ticket for riding to the office with only a permit.
    When I was in the Army (way back in 1971) a buddy needed to get his Motorcycle License. We got permission to use one of the Army's trucks to transport the bike to the San Francisco DMV and when it was time to take the test, we unloaded the bike form the back of the truck. The tester said that we were the first people he had seen unloading a bike for the test, and it had never occurred to him to wonder how the other riders had gotten their bikes there. He thought it was funny. But it's a different world now and they are probably far more anal about things like that today.

Spyder Garage

and &

I can not help you with your IL permit/ or License.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Background Check

I wonder if the background check, to get a drivers license, has anything to do with the enhanced ID, so you can use the license to board a plane.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you could be correct

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    I wonder if the background check, to get a drivers license, has anything to do with the enhanced ID, so you can use the license to board a plane.
    Yes absolutely.

The "enhanced ID" has been phased in over the past few years; I think it had to be finished nation-wide sometime last year.