Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So Thornolis recommended 18psi originally for the Yokos, Tehrlich?

Pete
    That's just where he set them initially. We've recently spoken about this, and he did not discourage me with my psi increase. I don't want to mistake his intentions, so I won't give details of our discussion. He can answer if he wishes.

But, he doesn't have his set at 18 either.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

To me its a different strokes kind of thing unless there is something really unsafe going on. Not really the case here.

Yes, I generally start folks off at 18 and 24 on the Yokos if they have never had them before.

I run 26 to 28 in the front and 24 or so in the rear. Took me a while to get where I was most comfortable with them. I also ride a much lighter F3S compared to tehrlich's RT and our riding styles are obviously different. Does not make either really wrong. Does it really matter if the tires get every last mile they are capable of if the rider LIKES and is more confident with a slightly different pressure that is still well within the allowable range?

I will say the higher pressures in the front do not seem to make the yokos balloon and wear in the center. They still wear even. The rear is a little more effected by the pressure on the wear pattern.

I will also say that after a few thousand miles of Colorado twisties on the set of 3 yokos, they are a BIG step up from the Kenda's

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I spent the entire day running different psi's for my front Yokohamas S Avid 34.. I kept the rear at 26psi to keep a variable out of the equation. Didn't hit any highways, and maybe got to 50 on a straight stretch once.

Texas has great roads in general, and it was warm (80's F,) and dry.

There is no way in God's green earth I could run 17psi on the fronts. It is way too low in my opinion for the Yokohamas. On initial start up and turning (like maneuvering through a driveway,) you have to really wrench the wheels around to get it to turn. That's because the rolling resistance is higher. Then, on more aggressive turns, initiation of the turn is easy, but to continue the turn was much more difficult. As the centrifugal force engaged the outside tire, it made it more difficult to continue turning. A lot more muscle was needed to get it to finish the turn.

At 25 psi's, a turn at initial movement is a lot easier. It doesn't feel like the front end is in quick sand. Night and day difference for a fast turn as well. It easily starts the turn, and less effort is required to finish the turn. It is easier to feather the radius of the turn, or finish it faster.

I'm 6'3" and about 230lbs. I rarely rarely ride two up. 26psi for me upfront.

While I was experimenting with the psi, I made a video of where I was riding. It's short.

2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE EXPERT ???????

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I spent the entire day running different psi's for my front Yokohamas S Avid 34.. I kept the rear at 26psi to keep a variable out of the equation. Didn't hit any highways, and maybe got to 50 on a straight stretch once.

Texas has great roads in general, and it was warm (80's F,) and dry.

There is no way in God's green earth I could run 17psi on the fronts. It is way too low in my opinion for the Yokohamas. On initial start up and turning (like maneuvering through a driveway,) you have to really wrench the wheels around to get it to turn. That's because the rolling resistance is higher. Then, on more aggressive turns, initiation of the turn is easy, but to continue the turn was much more difficult. As the centrifugal force engaged the outside tire, it made it more difficult to continue turning. A lot more muscle was needed to get it to finish the turn.

At 25 psi's, a turn at initial movement is a lot easier. It doesn't feel like the front end is in quick sand. Night and day difference for a fast turn as well. It easily starts the turn, and less effort is required to finish the turn. It is easier to feather the radius of the turn, or finish it faster.

I'm 6'3" and about 230lbs. I rarely rarely ride two up. 26psi for me upfront.

While I was experimenting with the psi, I made a video of where I was riding. It's short.

Warning ... to all NEWBIE's the above statements are .... Scientifically ... " FALSE "... if you want to believe what someone's Butt is saying ... you are putting yourself and any passengers in peril ..... Why this poster pursues this mis-information and appears to want others to follow His lead is beyond my comprehension .... Over-inflating car tires on a Spyder is a dangerous thing to do. The psi the manufactures list for CAR tires are based on vehicle weights above 3500lbs .... what does your Spyder weigh - 975 to 1150lbs .. so why would anyone use a psi meant for a veh. weighing 3 to 4 times as much..... I'm not saying this to upset anyone ... To me this is a Safety issue ... Over-inflated tires will lose traction much sooner than ones that are pressured for the vehicles weight, especially if it's wet ... Many here already know my credentials .... but for those that don't - I received Expert training in what tires do when in contact with pavement - wet or dry or other variations ... so beware of " well my Butt says " opinions. None of what I just said applies to KENDA tires .... Good luck, ride safe - ride happy ......... Mike ................PS, I'm not on an EGO trip about this topic, .. I am concerned about the Safety of all who are on this forum and will continue speak out when Anyone starts telling people something BAD is Good !!!!!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-18-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Here we go again. More yelling. Fire and brimstone.

Warning! NEVER ever tweak (not twerk) ANYTHING you may ride, drive, or sail! IT IS DANGEROUS to your butt.

But it is more dangerous to overbearing know-it-alls because they may be WRONG! Just do what he says! He has more posts than me and that really matters!

There is a RANGE of performance levels with air pressure in ANY tire: car, motorcycle, Spyder, and little red wagons. Everyone reading this KNOWS this. You don't have to be an expert witness or won first prize in a sanctioned drag race to inherently KNOW this. (I'll still race you with your soft shoes on, BTW.)

I honestly spent one hour going through roads like in the video at 17psi on the fronts. The machine was sluggish and less responsive than at 25psi! If a deer jumps out of the bushes, I'll be glad to have a MORE RESPONSIVE tire to avoid it!

I also did hard stops (on a safe stretch of road) with the 17psi vs. the 25psi. I found stopping distance about the same, BUT with the lower air pressure, I found it SQUIRRLEY as it stopped. We are riding a machine with TWO WHEELS upfront, and the physics of stopping will put a huge amount of vector force right on top of them! That's why they stop so well, NOT because of an 8psi difference in the tires.

Readers should just try for themselves, and find out what they experience.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    To me its a different strokes kind of thing unless there is something really unsafe going on. Not really the case here.

Yes, I generally start folks off at 18 and 24 on the Yokos if they have never had them before.

I run 26 to 28 in the front and 24 or so in the rear. Took me a while to get where I was most comfortable with them. I also ride a much lighter F3S compared to tehrlich's RT and our riding styles are obviously different. Does not make either really wrong. Does it really matter if the tires get every last mile they are capable of if the rider LIKES and is more confident with a slightly different pressure that is still well within the allowable range?

I will say the higher pressures in the front do not seem to make the yokos balloon and wear in the center. They still wear even. The rear is a little more effected by the pressure on the wear pattern.

I will also say that after a few thousand miles of Colorado twisties on the set of 3 yokos, they are a BIG step up from the Kenda's
    Exactly. NEWBIES.... just read this from Jim.

Go to his website. Get work done by him. Understand that he knows a lot about Spyders, and physics.

But, as far as I know, he has not won a sanctioned drag race. Readers can decide.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default another choice

The time has come for me to replace the rear tire on our 2014 RT Limited. I have read every post in this thread as well as some in other threads. I have also done considerable research on tires in general. Based on all of that (especially input from some of the more experience folks here), I have decided to listen to the beat of a different drummer. But the beat is only slightly different. I've ordered a Yokohama Envigor in 205/65R15. That's the "slightly different" part as there seems to be a lot of folks liking the Yokohamas but I have yet to see any mention of the Envigor. I also chose that particular size because of some feedback I got through private messages about correcting the speedometer error when using the Gerneral Altimax RT43 in 215/60. If I have calculated correctly, the 205/65 should have the speedo of an RT spot on at 70mph. The choice in that particular tread pattern was made based on several things like water-shedding design, UTQG rating (stickiness/softness) and size availability to name just a few.

I'm hoping the tire will be here soon enough for me to get it mounted before Thanksgiving. If not, OH WELL. I do plan on reporting back here once I have a few thousand miles on it and maybe 10000 mile updates as they occur.

ride safe & smart everyone!
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Exactly. NEWBIES.... just read this from Jim.

Go to his website. Get work done by him. Understand that he knows a lot about Spyders, and physics.

But, as far as I know, he has not won a sanctioned drag race. Readers can decide.
    Got me there. Been in a few drag races but.....well, that's for another day.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Got me there. Been in a few drag races but.....well, that's for another day.
    Would you consider drag racing more dangerous than running your tires at higher PSI's on a daily basis? LOL.

I rode about an hour last night on Highway 71 towards Llano, Texas. Good road. Dry. About 59-62F.

Did two stops to measure heat across our "over-inflated" tires with infrared . There was virtually no difference of temperature from the edges to the corners on the FRONT Yokohoma's at 26psi. Maybe 1 degree up or down. Depended on weather my measurement was on a groove or not.

Ironically, the REAR Yokohama tire had the difference at 28psi. The CORNERS were actually about 8-9 degrees hotter than the center. Go figure. With everything I've read, I've been dangerously ballooning the tires.

Granted, I need to do a longer and harder ride, and more measurements, but this was interesting. Will do more soon, and I did calibrate the emissivity for hard rubber.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I did a longer ride of 139 miles today and measured the psi and heat readings of each tire along the way. Ambient temperature was 75F and dropped to 65F the last 30 minutes of my ride because the sun went down. Dry conditions.

Before I left, I measured and put all three YOKOHAMA tires at 26psi and measured the infrared heat from the corners and the center of the tire. I always measured the right front tire first, the left front tire second, and the rear as last. In all the measurements during the ride, I tried to get off the Spyder and measure the heat signatures quickly. (The other day when measuring the heat, I noticed that the temperatures can drop quickly.) Initially, the rear tire was warmer than the fronts because it was sitting in the sun in my garage.
    IMG_2064.jpg
    I rode 62 miles through the Texas hill country on Highway 12 through Wimberley and over to Blanco. Stopped at Blanco and did the first reading. Probably averaged around 50mph with various roads, towns, stoplights, etc. The psi in the front tires went to 28psi and the rear to 28.5psi. This was the HIGHEST that I registered for the ride. Granted, a bit here and there was lost during measurement, but I tried to register all psi's as fast as I could. Temperatures were also the HIGHEST that I registered for the trip. The right front tire was a bit hotter than the left front tire, but this was probably due to the time it took to measure the first. (Temperatures drop quickly once stopped.) The rear tire was about 10F hotter than the fronts (103.0F.) All three had less than 2F differences across the surfaces: corners and middle.

The second leg of the ride was straight up Highway 281 and west on Highway 71 just south of Marble Falls. This highway is most 4 lanes and divided occasionally. Easy to hit 85mph. The next round of 45 miles was probably averaged at 65-70mph. On that measurement interval, the psi's of all three tires went to 27.5psi. Temps of fronts were consistent across their surface. The middle of the rear raised by one degree (104.0F) from the prior reading, and the corners went down about one degree F.

The third leg of the ride to my home was 32 miles through windy farm roads, cattle guards, and dry low water crossings. It finished with about 10 minutes of 75mph on Highway 71 into Spicewood. My wife was blocking the driveway with her car and it took me a few minutes to coax her along her way so I could take the measurements in my garage. Psi's dropped on all three and temperatures were consistent about 2 degrees across. The rear had the center drop more than the corners! The entire tire dropped in temperature 7-10F from the prior reading.

I finished the measurements and steamed some tamales from the grocery store. In Texas, even grocery store (HEB) has great generic Mexican food. Then sat down to write this up with a freshly poured Guinness! Multicultural evening!
    IMG_2065.jpg

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

In summary, the entire 139 miles and most of a tank of gas had 2psi change at the most for the fronts, 2.5 psi for the rear. Plus, this was at only one reading. The rest of the ride had a lower change from the baseline psi.

Temperatures across the tire were not that much different for the fronts, and minimal on the rear.

Tamales and Guinness are a great combination.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default testing to learn ---- what ????

Would you consider drag racing more dangerous than running your tires at higher PSI's on a daily basis? LOL.

I rode about an hour last night on Highway 71 towards Llano, Texas. Good road. Dry. About 59-62F.

Did two stops to measure heat across our "over-inflated" tires with infrared . There was virtually no difference of temperature from the edges to the corners on the FRONT Yokohoma's at 26psi. Maybe 1 degree up or down. Depended on weather my measurement was on a groove or not.

Ironically, the REAR Yokohama tire had the difference at 28psi. The CORNERS were actually about 8-9 degrees hotter than the center. Go figure. With everything I've read, I've been dangerously ballooning the tires.

Granted, I need to do a longer and harder ride, and more measurements, but this was interesting. Will do more soon, and I did calibrate the emissivity for hard rubber.
    Whoever coined the phrase " Ignorance is BLISS " had someone on this post in mind ........ I'm not the one though ... ......... and instead of thinking up cute Attack verbiage, take the basic course in " Accident Investigation " .... and if you pass it ....take the " Advanced Investigation " course and if pass that, you & I can have an " Intelligent " discussion about tire pressures..... But if you take these courses you will understand and also agree with me on what I have been recommending...... However I'm SURE you will have something less than enlightening to comment about this post ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Whoever coined the phrase " Ignorance is BLISS " had someone on this post in mind ........ I'm not the one though ... ......... and instead of thinking up cute Attack verbiage, take the basic course in " Accident Investigation " .... and if you pass it ....take the " Advanced Investigation " course and if pass that, you & I can have an " Intelligent " discussion about tire pressures..... But if you take these courses you will understand and also agree with me on what I have been recommending...... However I'm SURE you will have something less than enlightening to comment about this post ....... Mike

So, the mantra of SpyderLovers.com is to just believe only what you say? How does anyone feel comfortable with posting next to your red font, over use of emoji's, and self-aggrandizement?

Do the moderators of this forum not WANT discussion? Surely, this is not the first time for someone to complain of this treatment.

Newbies: just do what he says. He has more posts than me and has won a sanctioned drag race with a Spyder. I've never questioned his "training," whatever that may be. But, it is impossible to have an opinion as long as it is not the same as his.

But, when someone is actually trying to show that the tire pressures that I have set, and others have set, actually work FOR US, I get the RED FONT treatment and emoji explosion.

Peter Aawan.... do you not agree that tire temperature readings matter regarding inflation?

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I am not an expert on tire pressures, but I can read recommendations from expert organizations. I just read the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association free publication titled, "Care and Service of Passenger and Light Truck Tires."

Excellent information! You can find it here.

I did NOT realize how concerned they are about UNDER inflated tires! You will read for yourself in multiple locations where they WARN of under inflated tires and the potential of internal damage from HEAT build up.

There are WARNING boxes through out the article like this:
    Warning Tire Pressure.jpg

Woah! It seems to me that if the US Tire Manufacture Association goes THIS FAR to make a consumer awareness article, they would say EXACTLY what they are concerned MOST with! In MANY locations it discusses how under-inflated tires is a great concern. Even in the big WARNING box above it says that! The warning box says over inflated tires can have higher chance of puncture. Hmmm.... What the heck?

Why would they have not listed traction control with higher pressurized tires in that warning box? (Maybe that isn't their primary concern!)

How does anyone truly KNOW if 14psi is NOT TOO low for these CAR tires on our MOTORCYCLES? Where does that number come from? Studies? Repeated cross-sectional analysis of rubber (natural, synthetic and filler)degradation and tire ply distortion? Or, somebody on an internet forum?

Wow. Now that I've read this entire article, I'm very concerned that too many of us may be under inflating our car tires on our motorcycle. I have no idea, but the US Tire Manufacturer Association has great concerns!

Warning Tire Pressure under inflation.jpg

ANOTHER big warning box in the same article! It focuses on three things:
    1. Underinflation. Don't do it!
    2. Over loading the vehicle. That's unlikely with our Spyders.
    3. Consult the vehicle placard. Um.... we are using tires that BRP does NOT recommend! So, that makes it invalid, right?

Down below is the only reference that I found in the entire 54 page publication that mentions over inflation of a tire leading to reduced traction. BUT, how do we know what pressure these CAR TIRES have become OVER INFLATED on our MOTORCYCLE? Are we guessing, assuming, postulating, or examining? My guess is that it is a guess from some individuals on this forum. Granted, it can be an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. Do you know the measurements for "traction" are done in a stopping straight line and NOT in cornering! Things that make you go hhmmmmm...

Improper Tire Inflation
    For optimum service, use the inflation pressures specifiedby the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle tire placard,certification label or owner’s manual. Under inflation mayresult in rapid and/or abnormal tread wear, improper vehiclehandling and decreased fuel economy. Over inflation canalso result in rapid and/or abnormal tread wear, decreasedtraction and premature wear of suspension components.Improper tire inflation may cause a tire failure, includingtread/belt separation, even at a later date, which can leadto an accident and serious personal injury or death. Checkand adjust tire pressure (including the spare) at least onceper month with a pressure gauge (see “Proper Tire Inflation”on p. 11).

"Improper vehicle handling!"
    Wow... That's exactly what my butt felt when I tried putting my Yokohamas at 17psi. I even described it with what happened during a turn in an earlier post. It seems that the US Tire Manufactures Association may agree with my butt. LOL.

There was NO reference in the article (that I found) that warns over inflated tires cause heating and internal damage. Just toughness to puncture, and one reference to reduced traction. But, again, how do we know our psi's are putting the tire in an "over inflated" state?

Well, someone will postulate that the recommended tire pressures by the manufacturer should be followed. Um, OK. the manufacturer doesn't put these tires on our vehicles, AND there are plenty of reasons why that recommended inflation amount MAY NOT be the optimal tire pressure. They can be influenced by other things besides performance. That's another easy internet search away for those that want to read.

So, my take on reading this article is that LOW PSI tire users should REALLY monitor their heat build-up. It can degrade the tire components internally, and you may not realize it.
    Last edited by tehrlich; 11-27-2017 at 11:33 PM.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default USEFUL INFORMATION

I am not an expert on tire pressures, but I can read recommendations from expert organizations. I just read the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association free publication titled, "Care and Service of Passenger and Light Truck Tires."

I did NOT realize how concerned they are about UNDER inflated tires! You will read for yourself in multiple locations where they WARN of under inflated tires and the potential of internal damage from HEAT build up.

Woah! It seems to me that if the US Tire Manufacture Association goes THIS FAR to make a consumer awareness article, they would say EXACTLY what they are concerned MOST with! In MANY locations it discusses how under-inflated tires is a great concern. Even in the big WARNING box above it says that! The warning box says over inflated tires can have higher chance of puncture. Hmmm.... What the heck?

Why would they have not listed traction control with higher pressurized tires in that warning box? (Maybe that isn't their primary concern!)

How does anyone truly KNOW if 14psi is NOT TOO low for these CAR tires on our MOTORCYCLES? Where does that number come from? Studies? Repeated cross-sectional analysis of rubber (natural, synthetic and filler)degradation and tire ply distortion? Or, somebody on an internet forum?

Wow. Now that I've read this entire article, I'm very concerned that too many of us may be under inflating our car tires on our motorcycle. I have no idea, but the US Tire Manufacturer Association has great concerns!

3. Consult the vehicle placard. Um.... we are using tires that BRP does NOT recommend! So, that makes it invalid, right?

Down below is the only reference that I found in the entire 54 page publication that mentions over inflation of a tire leading to reduced traction. BUT, how do we know what pressure these CAR TIRES have become OVER INFLATED on our MOTORCYCLE? Are we guessing, assuming, postulating, or examining? My guess is that it is a guess from some individuals on this forum. Granted, it can be an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. Do you know the measurements for "traction" are done in a stopping straight line and NOT in cornering! Things that make you go hhmmmmm...

Improper Tire Inflation
    For optimum service, use the inflation pressures specifiedby the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle tire placard,certification label or owner’s manual. Under inflation mayresult in rapid and/or abnormal tread wear, improper vehiclehandling and decreased fuel economy. Over inflation canalso result in rapid and/or abnormal tread wear, decreasedtraction and premature wear of suspension components.Improper tire inflation may cause a tire failure, includingtread/belt separation, even at a later date, which can leadto an accident and serious personal injury or death. Checkand adjust tire pressure (including the spare) at least onceper month with a pressure gauge (see “Proper Tire Inflation”on p. 11).

Wow... That's exactly what my butt felt when I tried putting my Yokohamas at 17psi. I even described it with what happened during a turn in an earlier post. It seems that the US Tire Manufactures Association may agree with my butt. LOL.

There was NO reference in the article (that I found) that warns over inflated tires cause heating and internal damage. Just toughness to puncture, and one reference to reduced traction. But, again, how do we know our psi's are putting the tire in an "over inflated" state?

Well, someone will postulate that the recommended tire pressures by the manufacturer should be followed. Um, OK. the manufacturer doesn't put these tires on our vehicles, AND there are plenty of reasons why that recommended inflation amount MAY NOT be the optimal tire pressure. They can be influenced by other things besides performance. That's another easy internet search away for those that want to read.

So, my take on reading this article is that LOW PSI tire users should REALLY monitor their heat build-up. It can degrade the tire components internally, and you may not realize it.
    ....Thank you for this information it is enlightening to say the least ...... I am now going to inflate my tires ( car tires ) to the Maximum recommended on the sidewalls ( about 44psi ) ........... annnnnnnnnnnnd you have convinced me that all my training from so-called Experts in this field have been throwing BS big time and I will dis-regard anything they taught me ........My big regret now is I can't undo all the Court rulings that were decided on my testimony by Juries .... I'm also contemplating returning the 10's of thousands of dollars I received in payment for my " ALLEGED " Expert testimony..... You should be VERY, VERY proud of yourself for un-covering this massive hoax that I've been perpetrating on our fellow Spyderlover's ..... I do have a question though .... In the " US Manufacturers Association's 54 page publication about Care and service of Passenger & light truck tires .... I didn't find any mention of lightweight ( or otherwise ) Can-am Spyder's ....WHY do you think they omitted that ..... your response doesn't have to be Fact based .... In your case a GUESS will do ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Question for our new tire expert....

Improper Tire Inflation

I have been wondering for a long time......why don't we have solid tires? Why do the tires manufacturers bother to publish tire inflation charts? ..... with rubber filled tires we would avoid tire flexing, overheating, tire puncture....and all the likes.!!!!

Also, another question for you, on those little, as light as possible cars called F1, why don't they inflate the tires to 35 - 40 psi. That way the tires won't heat, right. Ha darn, another question, why do they take time to do warm up laps to bring the tires up to operational temperatures.....???? just wondering.....

PLEASE HELP !!!!! save us all....!!!!

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

What happened to your red font? Has someone asked you to tone it down?

Never never once has there been a recommendation of inflating a tire to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. Good try putting words in mouths.

Self-aggrandizement once again. I think it is great that you made money! Fantastic! You are a very important person that is highly favored.

But, still no studies to back up YOUR claims either of very low tire pressures of CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES. Did you testify regarding this? Please... a case number and court date. I'll be glad to read. CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES.

The absolute FUNNIEST thing to me regarding this tire pressure thing bending you out of shape:

you are actively PROMOTING a suspension link that changes the GEOMETRY of the entire suspension system. You are doing this in your garage. People are supposed to rely on their safety because you testified in a few court cases on accident investigation?

What tests have you done on that suspension linkage? What happens if there are major problems with linkage wear or problems with the lubricated pully system? Metal fatigue analysis? If you are NOT doing studies YOU ARE GUESSING too!

Are you LEGALLY prepared to handle lawsuits regarding your tampering of a tried and true suspension developed over many years by true engineers of the field at BRP. You're a retired cop, or something, right?

You can't make this irony up.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Thank you for this information it is enlightening to say the least ...... I am now going to inflate my tires ( car tires ) to the Maximum recommended on the sidewalls ( about 44psi ) ........... annnnnnnnnnnnd you have convinced me that all my training from so-called Experts in this field have been throwing BS big time and I will dis-regard anything they taught me ........My big regret now is I can't undo all the Court rulings that were decided on my testimony by Juries .... I'm also contemplating returning the 10's of thousands of dollars I received in payment for my " ALLEGED " Expert testimony..... You should be VERY, VERY proud of yourself for un-covering this massive hoax that I've been perpetrating on our fellow Spyderlover's ..... I do have a question though .... In the " US Manufacturers Association's 54 page publication about Care and service of Passenger & light truck tires .... I didn't find any mention of lightweight ( or otherwise ) Can-am Spyder's ....WHY do you think they omitted that ..... your response doesn't have to be Fact based .... In your case a GUESS will do ........ Mike

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    I have been wondering for a long time......why don't we have solid tires? Why do the tires manufacturers bother to publish tire inflation charts? ..... with rubber filled tires we would avoid tire flexing, overheating, tire puncture....and all the likes.!!!!

Also, another question for you, on those little, as light as possible cars called F1, why don't they inflate the tires to 35 - 40 psi. That way the tires won't heat, right. Ha darn, another question, why do they take time to do warm up laps to bring the tires up to operational temperatures.....???? just wondering.....

PLEASE HELP !!!!! save us all....!!!!

LOL. Richard. The idea of not using a pneumatic tire is ridiculous, and you know it.

You analogy to F1 racing is invalid. How often do they change tires, or go through tires? One set of tires may be ripped out in one race.

I'm not trying to save anyone. I'm trying to have a discussion that low psi in our CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES may not be the only option.

Good use of multiple emojis, though.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

LOL. Richard. The idea of not using a pneumatic tire is ridiculous, and you know it.

You analogy to F1 racing is invalid. How often do they change tires, or go through tires? One set of tires may be ripped out in one race.

I'm not trying to save anyone. I'm trying to have a discussion that low psi in our CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES may not be the only option.

Good use of multiple emojis, though.
    Sorry, but the analogy to F1 is quite valid.!!! Very light vehicule on big tires. That equation means low psi.

A tire is built to be flexible. As a matter of fact, the rubber compound is built with a lubricant in it that is released by heat and flex of the sides during usage. This prevent the UV and the ozone in the air to dry up the surface of the tire, and prevent sidewalls cracking.

Flexibily is also used to absorb shocks. In your area, where the road are smooth as silk, you will not damage your Spyder. But don't come up north, where the road freezes during winter. We ride on cracks, bumps, potholes, expansion joints out of alignment. With tire hard as rocks, not absorbing the "all of the above" you will kill your suspension bushings as well as your shocks absorbers in no time. (without talking about comfort and rattles that will start to show-up)

There is a consensus in the tire industry that 4 to 6 psi increase with heat during usage is normal and required to get the tire to perform properly. So your goal should be to get to the pressure that will provide you with the wanted temperature increase. You want a proof? Why do the recommand to check tire pressure in the morning, when tire is cold and didn't roll for more than a mile.....?!?!?!

This reply is for general knowledge for peoples researching proper information. It is in no way an escalation of arguing to win the contest.

Hoping it will help Spyder lovers riders to make the right decisions......

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

LOL. I can only imagine Moms and Pops riding two up through the mountain roads with their tires set JUST LIKE F1 tires! Soft, flexible and low psi and TRYING to get them up to temperature. That would be a sight to see. That would be a FUN ride for her as she's screaming into the microphone at him for the squirrely driving and him yelling to get off of his back.

F1 cars and tires aren't used the same way like people use their Spyders.

I'm still waiting on PROOF from our so-called tire experts here that 14psi is proper inflation of a CAR WHEEL on a MOTORCYCLE. Actually, I'm not saying it is NOT, but to just throw out that any higher pressures are going to lead to ULTIMATE DEATH and PERIL is comical. "Wear your leathers!" (That comment seriously cracked me up..... like I'm racing on a BMW hpr race motorcycle... LOL. We are on a three-wheeled vehicle with monstrous wheels. It's a big reverse trike! Get real, folks! )

It's absolutely hilarious to me because the band of low-pressure merry men still have NOT shown or proven the EFFECTIVE pressure range of CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES, but they are quick to judge anyone that jumps off of their mantra on SpyderLovers. Then, it's even funnier to me when I use their recommendation for monitoring the tire heat, it still isn't good enough for them. Peter, I'll be glad to link your posts on that if you need.

I'm no tire expert. I've never over-emoji-ed and kicked and screamed like an infant to get me to listen. However, I've gone to resources to find some answers. I don't care if someone has their tires at a lower pressure than mine! But, I find it VERY condescending to say that I can't judge the way my vehicle responds with varying pressures. That's laughable to say the least when tire pressures are adjusted on every pneumatic tire in every vehicular mode of transport.

All I know is that the US Tire Manufacturer's Association has GREAT concern about LOW PRESSURIZED tires, and they give little description to what "over inflated" will do. Do you not recognize the US Tire Manufacturer's Association as a reliable resource?

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Oh, and how do you not know that my 26psi tires are NOT flexing and engaging the road? You don't.

I've at least tried and compared what the handling characteristics (that's a US Tire Manufacturer's Association term) are at various psi's. I can very much flex my tires at 26psi's. My butt can feel it! LOL... My butt can also feel the tires at 14 psi feel like they are going to come off of the rims, or be pinched at the bead.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default PSI - Tirade !!!!

LOL. I can only imagine Moms and Pops riding two up through the mountain roads with their tires set JUST LIKE F1 tires! Soft, flexible and low psi and TRYING to get them up to temperature. That would be a sight to see. That would be a FUN ride for her as she's screaming into the microphone at him for the squirrely driving and him yelling to get off of his back.

F1 cars and tires aren't used the same way like people use their Spyders.

I'm still waiting on PROOF from our so-called tire experts here that 14psi is proper inflation of a CAR WHEEL on a MOTORCYCLE. Actually, I'm not saying it is NOT, but to just throw out that any higher pressures are going to lead to ULTIMATE DEATH and PERIL is comical. "Wear your leathers!" (That comment seriously cracked me up..... like I'm racing on a BMW hpr race motorcycle... LOL. We are on a three-wheeled vehicle with monstrous wheels. It's a big reverse trike! Get real, folks! )

It's absolutely hilarious to me because the band of low-pressure merry men still have NOT shown or proven the EFFECTIVE pressure range of CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES, but they are quick to judge anyone that jumps off of their mantra on SpyderLovers. Then, it's even funnier to me when I use their recommendation for monitoring the tire heat, it still isn't good enough for them. Peter, I'll be glad to link your posts on that if you need.

I'm no tire expert. I've never over-emoji-ed and kicked and screamed like an infant to get me to listen. However, I've gone to resources to find some answers. I don't care if someone has their tires at a lower pressure than mine! But, I find it VERY condescending to say that I can't judge the way my vehicle responds with varying pressures. That's laughable to say the least when tire pressures are adjusted on every pneumatic tire in every vehicular mode of transport.

All I know is that the US Tire Manufacturer's Association has GREAT concern about LOW PRESSURIZED tires, and they give little description to what "over inflated" will do. Do you not recognize the US Tire Manufacturer's Association as a reliable resource?
    What you don't appear to have realized yet, is that about 5 posts ago I figured what type of person I was dealing with ....Since that revelation I have just be " SCREWING WITH YOUR MIND " ...... I haven't had this much amusement on this Forum in ages ...annnnnnnnnd I'd be very happy to answer all those questions and any others you can think up .......... As long as you pay my going rate for EXPERT Testimony .....When you take your Spyder for service etc . are you surprised when they give you a Bill for their work ? ? ?..... annnnnnnd you haven't answered my Question about - WHY - Spyder's weren't mentioned in your " Holy Grail " bulletin that you love to quote ???? ..... Do you know the answer ???? ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I think I've disrupted the "safe space" for some.

Sorry, not sorry.

Love my Yokohama's! They are great at 26psi with my riding style and expectations. Love the increased MPG, too.

I'm about to buy some Generals for my other set of front rims and try those out too. I've heard good things! Would be a great comparison of the Generals and Yokohamas.... I think I may just make a comparison video on that. Would be fun...

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

It is big of you to use smaller font! I know that must be very difficult. Plus! Only ONE emoji! Yes, you can do it!!!

Why don't you point to me another resource that DOES include Spyders with CAR TIRES? I couldn't find anything. I figured that the US Tire Manufacturer's Association would be a reliable source for which General and Yokohama are members.

Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you send me a link on the efficacy and safety of your new suspension link you're making in your garage, and that you're going to be selling. Would love to see that it is actually safe for me, any of my riders, and that we don't need our "leathers" while using an altered geometry of our suspension system.

Oh, and while you're at that, I'd be glad to read your trial cases that you were a paid witness on. Would be fascinating reading, I'm sure.

Oh, and in the middle of those, try to give us some studies, measurements, readings, anything you have really, on why 14 psi is the optimal tire pressure for CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES. All you've done is shout out that you're an expert. Don't experts back their statements with proof? I forgot... you won first place in a sanctioned Spyder drag race three years ago. That's good enough for me!

Oh, and you're dealing with a person that knows and recognizes internet bullying. The private messages that I've received about your history on SpyderLovers is hysterical, especially from the veterans around here.

UOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1319120]What you don't appear to have realized yet, is that about 5 posts ago I figured what type of person I was dealing with ....Since that revelation I have just be " SCREWING WITH YOUR MIND " ...... I haven't had this much amusement on this Forum in ages ...annnnnnnnnd I'd be very happy to answer all those questions and any others you can think up .......... As long as you pay my going rate for EXPERT Testimony .....When you take your Spyder for service etc . are you surprised when they give you a Bill for their work ? ? ?..... annnnnnnd you haven't answered my Question about - WHY - Spyder's weren't mentioned in your " Holy Grail " bulletin that you love to quote ???? ..... Do you know the answer ???? ....... Mike [/QUOTE]

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default LINE OF THOUGHT

It is big of you to use smaller font! I know that must be very difficult. Plus! Only ONE emoji! Yes, you can do it!!!

Why don't you point to me another resource that DOES include Spyders with CAR TIRES? I couldn't find anything. I figured that the US Tire Manufacturer's Association would be a reliable source for which General and Yokohama are members.

Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you send me a link on the efficacy and safety of your new suspension link you're making in your garage, and that you're going to be selling. Would love to see that it is actually safe for me, any of my riders, and that we don't need our "leathers" while using an altered geometry of our suspension system.

Oh, and while you're at that, I'd be glad to read your trial cases that you were a paid witness on. Would be fascinating reading, I'm sure.

Oh, and in the middle of those, try to give us some studies, measurements, readings, anything you have really, on why 14 psi is the optimal tire pressure for CAR TIRES ON MOTORCYCLES. All you've done is shout out that you're an expert. Don't experts back their statements with proof? I forgot... you won first place in a sanctioned Spyder drag race three years ago. That's good enough for me!

Oh, and you're dealing with a person that knows and recognizes internet bullying. The private messages that I've received about your history on SpyderLovers is hysterical, especially from the veterans around here.

UOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1319120]What you don't appear to have realized yet, is that about 5 posts ago I figured what type of person I was dealing with ....Since that revelation I have just be " SCREWING WITH YOUR MIND " ...... I haven't had this much amusement on this Forum in ages ...annnnnnnnnd I'd be very happy to answer all those questions and any others you can think up .......... As long as you pay my going rate for EXPERT Testimony .....When you take your Spyder for service etc . are you surprised when they give you a Bill for their work ? ? ?..... annnnnnnd you haven't answered my Question about - WHY - Spyder's weren't mentioned in your " Holy Grail " bulletin that you love to quote ???? ..... Do you know the answer ???? ....... Mike
    [/QUOTE]
    Like I said ... I'm enjoying " Playing you " ...... and on that " Internet Bullying thing " ...you have that down Pat .... most of what you have said is just loaded with " VITRIOL " , I'm surprised you haven't moved on to using Profanity , or are you saving that for a special occasion ......... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.