Spyder Garage

Default DIY tire replacement

Has anyone had first hand experience using a Harbor Freight manual tire changer to remove and replace tires on their Spyder wheels? If so, did you have any problems? Thanks.

H2O

Spyder Garage

Default Take in to the professionals

I have a Harbor Freight changer, and a $500 dollar manual changer from another company that I don't remember the brand. I change tons of tires all year as I own a lawnmower dealership. I would NEVER change my Spyder tires on either of the 2 tire changers I own. WAY to damaging to the rims! I would HIGHLY recommend taking it into a dealership that has very nice automatic tire changers.

Just my experiences, and thoughts though.

Good luck, if you try! I would love to hear how it works out if you do decide to go for it

Spyder Garage

I use two tire irons and rim protectors. Works fine. Use lots of soap to lube the bead.

For the number of tires you will change, the machines will just take up space most of the time.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We bought the HF bead breaker and the spin balancer. That, and a couple of tire irons worked well for me. They even sold the wheel weights. A fellow ryder gave me a tip on doing that yesterday. He said to cut up a milk carton. It is thin and the wax make it smoother with no rim damage.
    On the bead breaker, I will make a better rest point for the rim though.

btw: I removed the rotor and the rear sprocket. For balance purposes I marked the orientation of how they came off so that I could put them back in the same spot.

I also suggest not using the tire changer either. The bead breaker was all I needed.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    We bought the HF bead breaker and the spin balancer. That, and a couple of tire irons worked well for me. They even sold the wheel weights. A fellow ryder gave me a tip on doing that yesterday. He said to cut up a milk carton. It is thin and the wax make it smoother with no rim damage.

btw: I removed the rotor and the rear sprocket. For balance purposes I marked the orientation of how they came off so that I could put them back in the same spot.

I also suggest not using the tire changer either. The bead breaker was all I needed.
    as for balancing, marking the tire & rim to put back in same position died out on steel wheels in the late 70's since it never
    correctly worked for aluminum and was never that accurate for steel either.

Spyder Garage

Default Tyre removal.

Here is a tip for tyre removal from a Gold Wing site.
    1. Break the bead on both sides.
    2. Feed a large zip-tie under both beads and join over the tread.
    3. Pull tight until both beads are tight together.
    4. Repeat every 6 inches, right around the tyre.
    5.Push one part of tyre bead(s) into the centre well of the wheel and the other side of the tyre will slip over the rim.
    Hope this may help somebody.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS TIRE CHANGER

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    They appear really nice ....... but they are for motorcycle wheels ........... and are tires are on CAR WHEELS !!!!!! .............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    They appear really nice ....... but they are for motorcycle wheels ........... and are tires are on CAR WHEELS !!!!!! .............. Mike
    They work on car wheels too..I have another brand that is similar to the link and replaced the fronts and rears on the spyder. I even done the TRIGLIDE rears when I had that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGR2-X8gHmE

Spyder Garage

Default I have....

used them but have found that they are not cost effective unless your in the business of changing a lot of tires. You do need a lot of care and there are a lot of protective add ons. I find that most tire shops will do this for you for a fair price (wheel only) and are equiped to do it. Around here ten bucks and a bit more if they balance it as well. Just mount the new tire correctly with the markings at the stem and balancing is a breeze ( yellow dot should go at the valve stem)...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 06-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire shops in my area are like butchers. They just throw around the wheels and tires like meat.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the HF changer and the add-on for doing motorcycle tires. Haven't attempted spyder wheels yet but it works for the two-wheeler.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    They work on car wheels too..I have another brand that is similar to the link and replaced the fronts and rears on the spyder. I even done the TRIGLIDE rears when I had that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGR2-X8gHmE
    WOW Thanks for the post on this changer. I'm going to look into one for my shop! Like I stated in the 2nd post none of the 2 changers I have work like this one. Totally different style changer this one appears to be more like an automatic style design, but manual.

I do nothing but when I use mine (well at least 1 out of 5 times anyways).

Its getting to the point I need to change 20 tires a day to be profitable on the amount of money I already have tied up into the 2 that I have. But I'm willing to spend more money if it actually works like the video you posted

Spyder Garage

I've looked repeatedly at buying one of the No-Mar changers for my shop. But no matter how you slice and dice it, its getting close to a grand for the changer and all the add ons for aluminum rims, delivered and set up in my shop. Discount charges $10 a tire to mount. $16 to mount and balance. Yes it MIGHT save time with the reduction of trips to Discount Tire but I just cannot justify. And if I damage ONE rim, any thought of ever breaking even on cost is a pipe dream. For now, I suck it up, toss the tire and rim in the Excursion and head off to Discount. If they ever start fussing about Spyder wheels, this may all change.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post

How do you get the tire off and on without the changer and just an iron? I only have 2 hands and with aluminum wheels, easily damaged.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    WOW Thanks for the post on this changer. I'm going to look into one for my shop! Like I stated in the 2nd post none of the 2 changers I have work like this one. Totally different style changer this one appears to be more like an automatic style design, but manual.

I do nothing but when I use mine (well at least 1 out of 5 times anyways).

Its getting to the point I need to change 20 tires a day to be profitable on the amount of money I already have tied up into the 2 that I have. But I'm willing to spend more money if it actually works like the video you posted
    Go on youtube many more videos on these changers

I spent more time driving and wasting time getting tires mounted,, I fiqure my labor is not cheap and I can do it at home anytime

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments. I already have the HF tire changer with the motorcycle adapter and some homemade mojo blocks and have used it in the past to change out some old Bushtec trailer tires and tubes. I have ordered a No Mar bar and I think everything will be OK. If I were doing this every day, I would look at a much better quality unit like the No Mar tire changers.

H2O

Spyder Garage

Nice tip....

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Here is a tip for tyre removal from a Gold Wing site.
    1. Break the bead on both sides.
    2. Feed a large zip-tie under both beads and join over the tread.
    3. Pull tight until both beads are tight together.
    4. Repeat every 6 inches, right around the tyre.
    5.Push one part of tyre bead(s) into the centre well of the wheel and the other side of the tyre will slip over the rim.
    Hope this may help somebody.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought a No-Mar changer late last year. I did the hitch mount setup and have probably done about a dozen various tires and wheels...including the Spyder. It is worth every penny. Tire shops around here are more likely to damage wheels and could care less. The people at No-Mar are also fantastic and always willing to help/give advice.

I wouldn't even think of putting a Spyder wheel, or any other wheel I cared about in the harbour freight changer....maybe lawn tractor or trailer wheels.