Spyder Garage

Default Mirror Vibration Fix

Our F3 had a terrible vibration in the mirrors. More so on the right. We used 3M double sided sticky tape in the gap between the mirror and the body. It worked great. Hopefully I can get the pics to load. The tape is gray in color. Blends in. Not overly noticable. Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know....

Love the problem solution posts.... be nice if the tape came in black....but great solution seeing as you don't have to remove them to get into anything...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Love the problem solution posts.... be nice if the tape came in black....but great solution seeing as you don't have to remove them to get into anything...

Thanks Gene. We are trying to think of a way to touch up the tape without dissolving the stickiness. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Default Tape

Black sharpie.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Black sharpie.
    thanks. Tom

Spyder Garage

Default VHB tape - be careful....

I noticed it's VHB (Very High Bond) tape....did it stick to both surfaces? You can leave the liner on one side if that's a "gap filler" for your mirrors. VHB can become permanent over time and would hate to have your mirrors stuck on without the ability to pull them off. It is used in many applications to fasten things together without use of bolts, screws, pop rivets, etc....

FYI.....hope this helps! And ...yes, I'm a retired "3M'er"......

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/982115O/vhb-rpf.pdf

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Adhesives-Tapes/Industrial-Adhesives-and-Tapes/Double-Sided-Bonding-Tapes/3M-VHB-Tapes/?N=5002385+8710676+8710815+8710960+8711017+8713604 +3294857497&rt=r3
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-23-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Our F3 had a terrible vibration in the mirrors. More so on the right. We used 3M double sided sticky tape in the gap between the mirror and the body. It worked great. Hopefully I can get the pics to load. The tape is gray in color. Blends in. Not overly noticable. Tom
    Excellent idea!
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Black sharpie.

Wife is afraid to use the sharpie thinking it may dissolve the glue. She is thinking water based paint. Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I noticed it's VHB (Very High Bond) tape....did it stick to both surfaces? You can leave the liner on one side if that's a "gap filler" for your mirrors. VHB can become permanent over time and would hate to have your mirrors stuck on without the ability to pull them off. It is used in many applications to fasten things together without use of bolts, screws, pop rivets, etc....

FYI.....hope this helps! And ...yes, I'm a retired "3M'er"......

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/982115O/vhb-rpf.pdf

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Adhesives-Tapes/Industrial-Adhesives-and-Tapes/Double-Sided-Bonding-Tapes/3M-VHB-Tapes/?N=5002385+8710676+8710815+8710960+8711017+8713604 +3294857497&rt=r3
    Jim thanks for the warning. I hope we don't have to try to remove it. It sure has solved the vibration problem. They do not move at all. Tom

Spyder Garage

Thanks Tom......amazingly, I did exactly the same thing yesterday, except my tape was too thin. I tried both the previous fixes of adding tape behind the mirrors and also tried padding out the pins, but neither worked. It was then that I realised just where the problem lay. Even the "too thin" tape had some effect so I'm off to buy some just like yours (but not VHB).

Great minds think alike........well......maybe your "great mind" and my "not so great mind".

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-23-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Actually Tom.......looking closely at your solution, it is subtly different to mine. I actually removed the mirror cover, took out the one torx screw holding the mirror in, and put the tape horizontally on the ledge, leaving the top of the tape still with its plastic coating. I then put the mirror assembly back over the top of the ledge/tape and refastened it. It works a treat, and you can't see as much tape as your method. If it is still a bit loose, you just add another layer of tape. It has the added advantage of being able to remove the mirror assembly easily.

As you can see, I could only get green double sided tape .....however, you could easily put a black electrical tape layer over it....

Pete
    IMG_0575.jpgIMG_0576.jpg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks Tom......amazingly, I did exactly the same thing yesterday, except my tape was too thin. I tried both the previous fixes of adding tape behind the mirrors and also tried padding out the pins, but neither worked. It was then that I realised just where the problem lay. Even the "too thin" tape had some effect so I'm off to buy some just like yours (but not VHB).

Great minds think alike........well......maybe your "great mind" and my "not so great mind".

Pete

Pete she took the tape and rolled it. Then stuffed it in. It's rock solid. Keep it on the black of the mirror housing. Tom

Spyder Garage

Pete she took the tape and rolled it. Then stuffed it in. It's rock solid. Keep it on the black of the mirror housing. Tom
    I posted an extra reply the same time you did, Tom.........see above......our solutions are slightly different....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

As long as they work. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice fix......BUT.....its pretty sad you need to do this to a $30,000+ machine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Nice fix......BUT.....its pretty sad you need to do this to a $30,000+ machine.
    Eh? I don't know about Tom, but I didn't NEED to do it, Road-Kill. I could see quite well out of the mirrors, but this just improved the experience for me by removing all vibrations. I DID need to do something similar to my Victory Vision, which was even more expensive than the Spyder....... and Victory build a quality machine. Come to think of it, I have made mods like this on ALL the bikes I have owned, aside from adding farkles, to make them a better experience for me.....so no, I don't think it's sad, but I do know where you are coming from.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Agree with both Pete and you(Road Kill). It didn't have to be done. But it sure is easier to look in the mirror now. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tom,
    This thread reminds of whena buddy of mine showed up at the office on a brand new Buell Cyclone.
    While it was sitting there idling: he asked me what I thought of it.
    I told him that it was gorgeous, and I was particularly impressed with the mirrors...
    If the y hadn't been built extra tough: the lenses would have vibrated out of them in a heartbeat!

Those things shook about like a paint can mixer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Simply saying something mildly negative causes....convulsions

These "fixes" and the soft backlash to my comment reminds me of a Consumer Reports story I read many years ago. They were discussing why owners of the Mini Cooper love their cars so much and why Mini Coopers have the highest satisfaction rating. These same owners would then rate their Mini Cooper as a horribly built car in constant need of repair. I am not saying the Spyder is horribly built, in fact I'm very happy with my purchase and have no issues to date. What I am saying is that simply saying a $30,000 plus machine should not vibrate causes the same convulsions as does Mini Cooper owners.

Do Spyder owners get on their knees and pray to the almighty Spyder God?

Spyder Garage

Did this mod last night, and rode for four hours today. No Vibration in the mirrors at all! Thanks to the OP for this great idea.HPIM1042.jpg

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Good job! Tom

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i used a little silicone to fix my problem, no vibes at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i used a little silicone to fix my problem, no vibes at all.
    Another good job. Tom