Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Interference

2016 F3 Limited.

Great radio reception with engine NOT running.

Start engine, radio reception goes to hell...solid static.

Replaced OEM antenna with stubby antenna from Lamonster Garage...no change.

Suggestions as to what to check for potential fix?

Thanks.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are still under warranty, the DEALER should be fixing this, even if they have to enlist the factory for help.
    This assumes, of course, that it is the OEM radio.

This is often caused by bad grounds......antenna shield, radio chassis or even elsewhere on the bike.
    Could even be a bad power filter inside the radio or nearby depending on the design.

Whether the noise is "clicking" or a whine can be a good clue.

YOU should NOT bear the burden of getting this fixed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    2016 F3 Limited.

Great radio reception with engine NOT running.

Start engine, radio reception goes to hell...solid static.

Replaced OEM antenna with stubby antenna from Lamonster Garage...no change.

Suggestions as to what to check for potential fix?

Thanks.
    SpyRyd,

I went through the very same thing with my BMW R1200RT. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

YMMV, but in my case, it was a set of cheap Chinese ballasts that were running my HID headlights. If you have any ballasts running any lights, I'd take a look at them.

Also, I've heard people have the same issue with LEDs. Especially Clearwater brand. The rheostat causes a tremendous amount of RFI.

Changed out the ballasts to ones that were "shielded" and the static went away. Took me over six months, and NUMEROUS entries on forums to come that
    solution.

Just a data point to consider.

Spyder Garage

This seems to be a hit or miss issue with the OEM radio on the RT and F3T/Limited. Antenna change helps on some and not on others. I put a short stubby 5" antenna on my F3T and the radio works better than stock antenna or the short antenna that some are using. The fix seems to be different depending which way the wind is blowing. Good luck.
    SpYderman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If you are still under warranty, the DEALER should be fixing this, even if they have to enlist the factory for help.
    This assumes, of course, that it is the OEM radio.

This is often caused by bad grounds......antenna shield, radio chassis or even elsewhere on the bike.
    Could even be a bad power filter inside the radio or nearby depending on the design.

Whether the noise is "clicking" or a whine can be a good clue.

YOU should NOT bear the burden of getting this fixed.
    Yep still under warranty. Been working with BRP Cares and dealer on a fix. Latest BRP recommended fix is to install an amplified antenna. That should happen next week...hope it fixes problem.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMule View Post
    SpyRyd,

I went through the very same thing with my BMW R1200RT. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

YMMV, but in my case, it was a set of cheap Chinese ballasts that were running my HID headlights. If you have any ballasts running any lights, I'd take a look at them.

Also, I've heard people have the same issue with LEDs. Especially Clearwater brand. The rheostat causes a tremendous amount of RFI.

Changed out the ballasts to ones that were "shielded" and the static went away. Took me over six months, and NUMEROUS entries on forums to come that
    solution.

Just a data point to consider.
    No ballasts and installed LEDs are from TricLED or Custom Dynamics. All LEDs come on with key on and engine not running. Thanks for the info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep still under warranty. Been working with BRP Cares and dealer on a fix. Latest BRP recommended fix is to install an amplified antenna. That should happen next week...hope it fixes problem.
    x
    Good luck with that.
    In my experience, that will just amplify the noise too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No ballasts and installed LEDs are from TricLED or Custom Dynamics. All LEDs come on with key on and engine not running. Thanks for the info.
    x
    I know that tends to indicate that the added lights are not the problem BUT......this computer controlled CAN buss can be VERY tricky.
    If it is relatively easy to disconnect ALL of your added electrical gear, I suggest that you do that once just to be sure.

Others have been amazed that added LEDs can cause things to happen that should not happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

x
    Good luck with that.
    In my experience, that will just amplify the noise too.
    Thinking you may be right, but gotta go through with BRPs "fix" before moving on to the next step, whatever that might be.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my 2015 RT 2015 SE6 model I had several LED's fitted by the dealer this included fender indicator LED's Rear fender running/brake lights, the High mounting Brake light and the rear saddlebags running/brake lights
    All these were from established Spyder Led suppliers
    When I used the brake the Radio would cut out and only static could be heard
    (foot off brake radio returned to normal)
    The dealer tried to shield the antenna but the problem continued after disconnecting each of the LED's and testing the problem was resolved by only having the saddlebags Led's as running lights removing the braking function of the LED's, it was that breaking function that somehow caused the interference

Simce then my Radio has been fine

Not sure if it will help but it may be worth considering having the dealer investigate it
    Let us know what resolves your problem as we all benefit from the knowledge of others
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Please post update on the "amplified antenna". Who is supplying it? BRP told my dealer to tell me to find one. Haven't been able to. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Please post update on the "amplified antenna". Who is supplying it? BRP told my dealer to tell me to find one. Haven't been able to. Tom
    BRP covering cost and installation of amplified antenna. I informed dealer that I wanted them to source the antenna in case it didn't solve the problem. Understand the antenna the dealer is to install on Wednesday, 26 Apr, will be totally hidden under the Tupperware somewhere. My current stubby antenna will be left in place but will be a "dummy".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    On my 2015 RT 2015 SE6 model I had several LED's fitted by the dealer this included fender indicator LED's Rear fender running/brake lights, the High mounting Brake light and the rear saddlebags running/brake lights
    All these were from established Spyder Led suppliers
    When I used the brake the Radio would cut out and only static could be heard
    (foot off brake radio returned to normal)
    The dealer tried to shield the antenna but the problem continued after disconnecting each of the LED's and testing the problem was resolved by only having the saddlebags Led's as running lights removing the braking function of the LED's, it was that breaking function that somehow caused the interference

Simce then my Radio has been fine

Not sure if it will help but it may be worth considering having the dealer investigate it
    Let us know what resolves your problem as we all benefit from the knowledge of others
    Thanks for the info, Eddie. The dealer hard wired a Backoff brake light modulator when they assembled my bike and I thought perhaps that might be the culprit. However, with the key on and engine off the radio reception is unaffected when the brake peddle is pushed.

Spyder Garage

I am also interested in this topic. I have a 2015 F3-S, so a factory radio wasn't an option. I purchased a Sena 20s for my listening pleasure. I am experiencing the same thing you are. The radio comes in crystal clear as long as the engine is off. As soon as I fire the engine up, all static... It's very frustrating.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

BRP covering cost and installation of amplified antenna. I informed dealer that I wanted them to source the antenna in case it didn't solve the problem. Understand the antenna the dealer is to install on Wednesday, 26 Apr, will be totally hidden under the Tupperware somewhere. My current stubby antenna will be left in place but will be a "dummy".

Please post what they install so us others can get one also. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never been able to pull a decent FM signal with my RT-L...
    I've had the Technician check all of the connections, remove all of the Loc-Tite, and I've even tried one of Spyderpop's Shortee abtennas...
    Nothing has made a difference.
    We're at the point where the dealer will replace my radio!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Engine Interference Afterall

Culprit turned out to be the aftermarket LED headlights I installed. Key on, engine off, headlights off, fender tip lights off, signature light off- radio works great. Engine on, headlights on, fog lights on, fender tip lights on, signature light on- radio nothing but static. Dealer owner used kill switch to shut down engine, headlights on, fog lights on, fender tip lights on, signature light on- radio nothing but static. After about a minute or so the headlights turned off, fog lights on, fender tip lights on, signature light on- radio works great. Same results after a couple more trials.

Contacted supplier of LED headlights and reported issue. Supplier had not heard of issue prior to my phone call. Supplier going to research availability/compatibility of a plug and play isolator sometime used with HID (ballast) headlights to solve problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Please post what they install so us others can get one also. Tom
    Tom, dealer didn't install the powered/amplified antenna (see latest update). However they had purchased a Dakota Digital ANT-2000 Electronic Hidden Antenna. Their website is www.dakotadigital.com and they are located in Sioux Falls, SD. Hope that helps.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contacted supplier of LED headlights and reported issue. Supplier had not heard of issue prior to my phone call.
    Likely story.

I wish you the best of luck but these kinds of things often end badly.

My bet is that they will offer you a refund and leave you holding the bag.

Spyder Garage

Tom, dealer didn't install the powered/amplified antenna (see latest update). However they had purchased a Dakota Digital ANT-2000 Electronic Hidden Antenna. Their website is www.dakotadigital.com and they are located in Sioux Falls, SD. Hope that helps.

John

Thanks John. I thought that might be my issue as well. Have both headlights and driving lights that are LED. But we just got back from Spyderfest. The radio worked great. Go figure. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Likely story.

I wish you the best of luck but these kinds of things often end badly.

My bet is that they will offer you a refund and leave you holding the bag.
    Thanks for the well wishes. If I was a betting man I'd take you up on your bet. Supplier has shipped me two Canbus filters, one for each headlight, that I will connect between the LED headlight and the OEM wiring harness. Hopefully that will fix my radio reception issue. I'll post about the results.

I've had nothing but world class customer service from this supplier. I know him and trust him. BTW, supplier providing/shipping filters at no cost to me. He is truly interested and committed to helping. Couldn't ask for more!

Spyder Garage

Curious who paid the dealer for their time and efforts. Technically, this should not be approved as a warranty claim. If the same dealer sold and installed the problem lights, it should be on them. If someone else purchased and installed the lights, the bill should be paid by that petson, even if it is the owner. This would ultimately be paid by the led supplier since they admit the merchandise may need additional parts.

I keepreading where BRP will ask at the begining of a warranty request if additional electrical items are installed. Many times BRP mandates those devices are removed or deactivated at the owners expense, then if a problem still exists, normal warranty protocols are followed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Curious who paid the dealer for their time and efforts. Technically, this should not be approved as a warranty claim. If the same dealer sold and installed the problem lights, it should be on them. If someone else purchased and installed the lights, the bill should be paid by that petson, even if it is the owner. This would ultimately be paid by the led supplier since they admit the merchandise may need additional parts.

I keepreading where BRP will ask at the begining of a warranty request if additional electrical items are installed. Many times BRP mandates those devices are removed or deactivated at the owners expense, then if a problem still exists, normal warranty protocols are followed.
    I've been working with BRP and my dealer on my radio reception issue for the last 10 months or so via emails and phone calls. BRPs latest suggested fix was to install a powered antenna. BRP was covering the cost of the antenna and my dealers time to install it. Waited till my 9300 mile service appointment to have antenna installed. I had previously reported to my dealer that the radio reception was great when the engine was not running but went to static once the bike was started. When I arrived at my dealer for my service appointment I asked the owner to listen to my radio. He proceeded to troubleshoot the problem and sure enough the radio reception was great with just the key on but terrible when he started the engine. After several repeated starts and stops with the key he decided to shut off the engine using the kill switch. The radio static persisted until the headlights turned off then the reception was perfect.

Bottom line to this story is that BRP was willing to cover the cost of attempted fixes ranging from installing a longer antenna to installing a powered antenna. Poor radio reception on SOME F3s is not uncommon. Dealer did not charge me for anytime spent diagnosing the problem. LED supplier is providing, at no cost to me, in-line filters to potentially fix the issue caused by their LED headlights. So, I've received great service from BRP, my dealer, and the LED supplier...who could ask for anything more?
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 05-05-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've been working with BRP and my dealer on my radio reception issue for the last 10 months or so via emails and phone calls. BRPs latest suggested fix was to install a powered antenna. BRP was covering the cost of the antenna and my dealers time to install it. Waited till my 9300 mile service appointment to have antenna installed. I had previously reported to my dealer that the radio reception was great when the engine was not running but went to static once the bike was started. When I arrived at my dealer for my service appointment I asked the owner to listen to my radio. He proceeded to troubleshoot the problem and sure enough the radio reception was great with just the key on but terrible when he started the engine. After several repeated starts and stops with the key he decided to shut off the engine using the kill switch. The radio static persisted until the headlights turned off then the reception was perfect.

Bottom line to this story is that BRP was willing to cover the cost of attempted fixes ranging from installing a longer antenna to installing a powered antenna. Poor radio reception on SOME F3s is not uncommon. Dealer did not charge me for anytime spent diagnosing the problem. LED supplier is providing, at no cost to me, in-line filters to potentially fix the issue caused by their LED headlights. So, I've received great service from BRP, my dealer, and the LED supplier...who could ask for anything more?
    Agree, you have gotten great service from all. In retrospect though, and this how warranty claims become difficult at times, on account of a non BRP, non oem item, the oem and the dealer basically worked for free when there was no need for them to as the problem was created by non BRP lighting.

I read earlier the led company was sending you CanBus filters. While I hpe these resolve your issues, it was explained to me, these type filters are not for noise, but rather to keep the CanBus from thinking a headlight has burned out due to the low amp draw.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the well wishes. If I was a betting man I'd take you up on your bet. Supplier has shipped me two Canbus filters, one for each headlight, that I will connect between the LED headlight and the OEM wiring harness. Hopefully that will fix my radio reception issue. I'll post about the results.

I've had nothing but world class customer service from this supplier. I know him and trust him. BTW, supplier providing/shipping filters at no cost to me. He is truly interested and committed to helping. Couldn't ask for more!
    Canbus filters arrived yesterday evening. Plug and play install was simple and easy. Only had to remove the access panels to get to the LED/OEM harness connectors. Filters fixed the poor to non-existant radio reception.

Big shout out to Reggy Tan (TricLED). Contacted Reggy on Wednesday, May 3rd, and explained the issue. Reggy provided/shipped the Canbus filters at no cost to me on Thursday, May 4th. Filters arrived in the mail on Saturday, May 6th and installed same day in about 15 minutes. Beta tested yesterday and today during a ryde. Favorite radio station came in loud and clear. Reggy and his crew provide state of the art products and, without question, world class customer service! Thanks Reggy.