Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Hi folks.... well as always I shoot video that might help someone.
    This time around it is how to install the Tri-Axis handlebars.

1/15/2015 - Edited my RANT commentary... Not needed here...

This is a video series (it's 3 parts) I shot showing how to install the Tri-axis handlebars on a RT.

Feel free to ask questions and I will respond.

I hope this video series is helpful to someone AND ENJOY!

PART 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I hope these videos help someone!

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Hey Bob, we had our local dealer install a chrome set but they were loose after installed. Could rock about 1/2 inch in each direction when pushing down or up when the adjustment assembly tight. The horizontal bolt was tight wiTh no play when you rocked the handlebars. I think the 4 bolts that hold the steering column tri axis plate in place may have been loose. They said is was a warranty issue but never got new tri axis bars. So we threaten to let everyone know how bad the dealership is. The owner got involved and after 3 months they put the olds ones back on, and refunded our money. The steering column tri axis plate bolts or the handlebar assembly horizontal bolt are the only things that I think could cause this problem. Your thought?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Hey Bob, we had our local dealer install a chrome set but they were loose after installed. Could rock about 1/2 inch in each direction when pushing down or up when the adjustment assembly tight. The horizontal bolt was tight wiTh no play when you rocked the handlebars. I think the 4 bolts that hold the steering column tri axis plate in place may have been loose. They said is was a warranty issue but never got new tri axis bars. So we threaten to let everyone know how bad the dealership is. The owner got involved and after 3 months they put the olds ones back on, and refunded our money. The steering column tri axis plate bolts or the handlebar assembly horizontal bolt are the only things that I think could cause this problem. Your thought?
    I bet it was the 4 bolts as that is the key part of any type of rocking of the handlebars!

I bet you a million bucks the old locktite in the holes of the column cause the mechanic to think they were torqued to spec yet were not even close!
    I had to clean out the threads of the column holes to get a proper torque spec on the new bolts. BRP used a crap load of locktite on those probably for good reason but that left over locktite tended to fowl the new bolts going in.

It's a bummer to hear you had to go through all that and now don't have your nice handlebars

Some mechanics need to not be in such a hurry to make time constrints and actually look and see what is going on. This unfortunately causes me to have to do my own work. I almost don't trust anyone now to touch my Spyder....

My 14K service is coming up and that means checking the valves. I know I can do this myself but don't really want to. But I am SOOOOOO worried about letting someone else work on my bike, I am at a cross road....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-03-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I bet it was the 4 bolts as that is the key part of any type of rocking of the handlebars!I bet you a million bucks the old locktite in the holes of the column cause the mechanic to think they were torqued to spec yet were not even close!I had to clean out the threads of the column holes to get a proper torque spec on the new bolts. BRP used a crap load of locktite on those probably for good reason but that left over locktite tended to fowl the new bolts going in.It's a bummer to hear you had to go through all that and now don't have your nice handlebars Some mechanics need to not be in such a hurry to make time constrints and actually look and see what is going on. This unfortunately causes me to have to do my own work. I almost don't trust anyone now to touch my Spyder....My 14K service is coming up and that means checking the valves. I know I can do this myself but don't really want to. But I am SOOOOOO worried about letting someone else work on my bike, I am at a cross road....Bob
    think they updated valve check to later mileage. Lots of people have gone 30k+ before doing it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    think they updated valve check to later mileage. Lots of people have gone 30k+ before doing it.
    I am aware that many that had the valves checked at 14K did not in fact need it. But I also know some that did!

BRP has not changed the spec on the 990. So if you have warranty for a while and don't have it done, if there is a failure there you wont be covered. I specifically called and asked them this. Again, they did not update that spec.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black