Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Yellow ST-S SE5

Well, a new to me Spyder will soon be mine next week. It's a 1700+ mile drive to pick it up and haul it back on a 2 + center rail Kendon. Buying from the original owner with 2100 miles since new with color matched factory bags, heated grips, passenger back rest, fog lamps, Battery Tender and cover.

It's going to be tight on the trailer with the rear wheel tied to the mc chock at the front of the trailer and the front wheels almost to the back of the trailer. The trailer is the same width as the Spyder and the nose will overhang the back by a few inches.

I was going to do a fly and ride but with many posts noting the need for laser alignment, etc. I didn't feel comfortable mixing it up in California traffic. My only experience on a Spyder has been two hours on an early model RT that I rented after getting my WA trike endorsement several years ago.

I'm hoping that my co-pilot can adjust from being on the back of a motorcycle for the past 40 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

on your new ryde. Great color.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

To both the spyder world and this site. Great choice in a ryde... do suggest that if you are putting her on backwards that you remove the windshield. Lot of stress on that going down the road back wheel first...Long drive but well worth it...be safe
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up New STS

Congratulation on the new Spyder.
    The ST is a fantastic machine. You picked the best color.
    You are going to enjoy miles of smiles.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Default good on ya !

I was a thinking while reading the post , " what a thrill of excitement " that would have been , 1 st ride ,and it was the ride home , excitement wrapped in a little bit of fear ... before I purchased our 2012 , only ridden the friends bike ( of same year and model ) twice , bought our cycle it was 2 hour drive back home through Louisville ky, man what a rush ! good luck on your purchase , really a great machine , learn a lot fast when in the forums it comes in handy ! happy rides !

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Ryde

Enjoy, and YES keep informed on 'SpyderLovers' Forum.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the congrats & thoughts. This site has already been an immense help and led to my decision to trailer it back to my winter home in AZ. It will be a better environment to check the handling. I suspect that a bajaron kit will be one of the first "improvements" and I'll also see about getting the 2104 side panels. The only dealers I'm aware of in the Phoenix metro area and Tucson are RideNow - I'll see how accommodating they are.

Are the RideNow dealerships the only option for laser alignment in this area? I've seen a reference to a list of those providing alignment services on the forum but have not been able to find it.

And, a question. The riders manual that I've downloaded from the BRP website doesn't seem to differentiate between the RT and ST models when it refers to the trailer towing mode. Else where in the Do's and Do Nots section of the forum, I recall seeing a statement that the ST doesn't have a trailer towing mode. Can anyone confirm which is true?

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome!

Link to find laser alignment dealers is... http://www.spydercomfort.com/
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nwrider View Post
    Thanks for the congrats & thoughts. This site has already been an immense help and led to my decision to trailer it back to my winter home in AZ. It will be a better environment to check the handling. I suspect that a bajaron kit will be one of the first "improvements" and I'll also see about getting the 2104 side panels. The only dealers I'm aware of in the Phoenix metro area and Tucson are RideNow - I'll see how accommodating they are.

Are the RideNow dealerships the only option for laser alignment in this area? I've seen a reference to a list of those providing alignment services on the forum but have not been able to find it.

And, a question. The riders manual that I've downloaded from the BRP website doesn't seem to differentiate between the RT and ST models when it refers to the trailer towing mode. Else where in the Do's and Do Nots section of the forum, I recall seeing a statement that the ST doesn't have a trailer towing mode. Can anyone confirm which is true?

My 2014 ST does have a towing mode.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the confirmation, trbayth. I didn't really understand why it wouldn't since it was designed to tow a trailer.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Cognac Story

Early 2015 I started looking at the Spyder's and decided on the ST-S after test rides. Really liked the Cognac color not only because of the color, also liked it was very visible. I realized through research they were discontinuing the color for 2015. I also wanted the manual transmission as figured it would be less likely to have things go bad, and I like to shift gears manually. Did a search on Cycle Trader and found the needle in the haystack. A brand new, 2014 ST-S in manual shift in Cognac Orange. It was late April 2015, so this was a left over and the pricing was $8,000 off the MSRP. I felt like that was a great deal. The catch was, the machine was in St. Louis at Big St. Charles Motorsports, and I live 35 miles northeast of Atlanta. The wife went to Florida to visit her Mom on Mother's Day. I booked a one way ticket out of Atlanta on a Saturday morning, Helmet, rain suit and body armor in carry on, and arrived at the dealership 10:00 CST. Did the deal, then proceeded to drive non-stop (other than gas, two corn dogs and two sugar free Monster Energy drinks from Pilot) 11 hours back home. Covered 613 miles from dealership to my garage. I had to be back same day as had to watch the neighbor's dog on Sunday morning. It poured the rain first two hours, though I stayed dry, then cleared for a beautiful drive into KY, TN and GA. The only close call I had was on I-24 running 79 MPH with cruise on. No other cars around. I see off in the distance in the left hand lane a big animal object in the left lane of my direction. I am in the right lane. The closer I got, I could tell it was a buzzard munching on a road kill. He heard the engine approaching and began to take flight. Well, his talons grazed the top of my helmet as our paths crossed. I braced myself knowing it was going to be a hard hit and not a lot of options. Thankfully he cleared. It was kind of hairy riding at night on I-75 to get into Atlanta. Worried about road alligators (blown truck tires) and deer, but the prayers worked. Made it home about 11:30 EST and then sent my wife a text showing her my profile pic you guys see here. I had the dealership take the photo as I was leaving. She had no idea what I was doing and no need to worry her, right? I was worn the heck out after that, and my new machine was broken in!!! Now have 7200 miles on it and love to ride.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your acquisition experience. I too like the cognac color - almost went for a 2014 ST-LE in that color but the price on the yellow 2013 was the clincher. I'm hoping that I and my copilot will enjoy it equally as well as you say you do.

I just got back from the 1700+ mile round trip to pick it up. A quick test ride confirms that I'll be installing the Baja Ron sway bar and heim links and then getting it aligned. I'll also be requesting the 2014 side panels as even the short ride I took at 80 degrees outside temp was too warm on my ankles.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your acquisition experience. I too like the cognac color - almost went for a 2014 ST-LE in that color but the price on the yellow 2013 was the clincher. I'm hoping that I and my copilot will enjoy it equally as well as you say you do.

I just got back from the 1700+ mile round trip to pick it up. A quick test ride confirms that I'll be installing the Baja Ron sway bar and heim links and then getting it aligned. I'll also be requesting the 2014 side panels as even the short ride I took at 80 degrees outside temp was too warm on my ankles.

You will be amazed at the difference.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Congrats and enjoy!!! upgraded side panels make a diff and look cool....remember just have "miles of smiles"

Spyder Garage

Default Squared Away to Yuma

Too bad. Squared Away was just in Yuma over the weekend.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=Yuma
    Welcome to lovers!!
    And
    2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

trbayth & mavrik,

Did you have to wait for BRP to acknowledge your change of ownership before requesting the 2014 side panels? I just sent my paperwork to BRP today.

I'm running 18 frnt 28 rear psi. Some of the roads around here have a ridge in the center which causes a pronounced wiggle from the rear tire which tends to move the whole unit off line. Do you think lowering the tire pressure in the rear would help it to track better?

Spyder Garage

trbayth & mavrik,

Did you have to wait for BRP to acknowledge your change of ownership before requesting the 2014 side panels? I just sent my paperwork to BRP today.

I'm running 18 frnt 28 rear psi. Some of the roads around here have a ridge in the center which causes a pronounced wiggle from the rear tire which tends to move the whole unit off line. Do you think lowering the tire pressure in the rear would help it to track better?
    Mine is a 2014 so I didn't need to request any side panels.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2022 White Pearl F3T

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

"You will be amazed at the difference." Made me think that you'd experienced the heat on the 2013. In any event, I'm hoping that Ride Now in Chandler will go to bat with BRP and order them for me gratis.

Spyder Garage

Well, a new to me Spyder will soon be mine next week. It's a 1700+ mile drive to pick it up and haul it back on a 2 + center rail Kendon. Buying from the original owner with 2100 miles since new with color matched factory bags, heated grips, passenger back rest, fog lamps, Battery Tender and cover.

It's going to be tight on the trailer with the rear wheel tied to the mc chock at the front of the trailer and the front wheels almost to the back of the trailer. The trailer is the same width as the Spyder and the nose will overhang the back by a few inches.

I was going to do a fly and ride but with many posts noting the need for laser alignment, etc. I didn't feel comfortable mixing it up in California traffic. My only experience on a Spyder has been two hours on an early model RT that I rented after getting my WA trike endorsement several years ago.

I'm hoping that my co-pilot can adjust from being on the back of a motorcycle for the past 40 years.
    How does everyone here know you need the alignment?
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Is yours a generic question to anyone or is it directed to nwrider? If me, I don't think mine is particularly out of alignment -- more that after installing a BajaRon sway bar and noting than some have come set up from the factory miss-aligned, I want to be sure to get the best handling I can. From reading other posts, if your Spyder tracks true on a good flat road surface, then it's probably within tolerances -- unless you note uneven tire wear, etc. Hopefully, others with more personal experience will chime in.

Spyder Garage

"You will be amazed at the difference." Made me think that you'd experienced the heat on the 2013. In any event, I'm hoping that Ride Now in Chandler will go to bat with BRP and order them for me gratis.
    Sorry about that. My "amazed at the difference" reply was regarding the BajaRon sway bar and links, not the body panels.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2022 White Pearl F3T

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    How does everyone here know you need the alignment?
    Because the BRP production alignment procedures are notoriously sloppy and inaccurate. Have a laser alignment check, at least from Squared Away and if you don't need one there usually is no charge.
    Look for front tires wearing unevenly,pulling badly to one side or the other, steering problems,same things you feel in your car.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've spent the last several days adding farkles. Spyderpops belt guard and bump/skid plate (already contacted pavement with it twice), Bajaron swaybar and heim links, and a touring windshield. I got the brand new windshield as NOS for $56 delivered about $220 under retail even at that, I'm not too sure it's any better than the stock shield. With both I've ended up running them in the lowest position to get smoother airflow.

The Bajaron swaybar/heim links do seem to make quite an improvement. Has anyone added the Fox Podium shocks after having installed the swaybar to note the difference?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Elka Shocks

I have a 2013 ST that has a BaJaRon sway bar. I added spring preload adjusters and felt handling improvement.
    The ST is notoriously undersprung. Finally at Spyderfest I had stage 2 Elka shocks and spring added to replace my stock shocks and springs. The Elka's made an amazing improvement in stability and highway high speed tracking. No more dive in cornering or issues with cross winds or truck passing. New shocks and springs are my best farkle so far.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the confirmation, trbayth. I didn't really understand why it wouldn't since it was designed to tow a trailer.
    It's the 998 V-twin powered Spyder RT's & ST's with the SE5 transmission that have towing mode, cos that mode is designed to protect the centrifugal clutch used by these models (to protect the clutch from overloading & slippage before the engine is delivering sufficient revs & torque to lock the clutch up properly!)... and that feature is simply not needed once BRP went to the 1330's as the power plant for the post-2013 SE6 RT's, cos they have an electro-hydraulic clutch that doesn't have any potential slipping issues at low revs.... and the SE5 ST's post 2013 that still have the V-twin motors still have the centrifugal clutch so they get to keep Towing Mode!!

So it's easy really - if your SE5 Spyder has the V-twin & therefore the centrifugal clutch and it's deemed suitable for towing according to BRP, then it will have Towing Mode; but if your Spyder has the 1330 motor & the SE6 transmission then it has an oil pressure regulated clutch that is quite simply fully engaged once you get engine oil pressure up no matter the engine revs, so it just doesn't need the low rev protection that Towing Mode provides for the centrifugal clutches!!

V-twin SE5's have Towing Mode, 1330 SE6's don't!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!