User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Headlight Shutter

I just put a set of the 10th anniversary headlights on my 2014 RT.
    Riding this morning I noticed that the low beam / hi beam shutter is moving when I hit dips in the road.
    Does anyone know if the shutter can be tighten down a bit???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I prefer running the high beams during the daytime. I know it may be technically illegal, but the shutter movements cause a flickering appearance which is what I believe your noticing. The flickering goes away on high beam mode. Then when it starts to get dark, I just lower the beams which don't appear to flicker at night.
    2014 RT SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the flickering of the shutter is what I'd like to eliminate.
    Riding in the dark is my concern as I don't want to appear that I'm flashing my "brights" to oncoming traffic.
    I had this problem on my 2012 RT but no problem with my current 2014 RT with the OEM lamps...
    As for riding with the hi beams on, I have LED bulbs which are quite bright and prefer not to subject oncoming drivers to them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two separate issues--IMO. On low beams, the shutter tends to bounce on uneven roads--giving the appearance of flashing lights.

When I had my LED's installed, the mechanic over tightened the right hand side and made that shutter stick in the "high beam" mode. Since I drive with high beams in the daylight, not an issue. No night driving here during riding season--I don't care for three AM rides.

The fix for me was for them to loosen the right side. Now--back to normal. I have both high and low beams.

Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Yes the flickering of the shutter is what I'd like to eliminate.
    Riding in the dark is my concern as I don't want to appear that I'm flashing my "brights" to oncoming traffic.
    I had this problem on my 2012 RT but no problem with my current 2014 RT with the OEM lamps...
    As for riding with the hi beams on, I have LED bulbs which are quite bright and prefer not to subject oncoming drivers to them...
    For whatever reason(s) the shutter bounce is not visible at night. The lights appear perfectly normal on low beam at night.

I ride consistently in front (lead rider) of a Spyder under different lighting conditions and these are my direct observations.
    2014 RT SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    For whatever reason(s) the shutter bounce is not visible at night. The lights appear perfectly normal on low beam at night.

I ride consistently in front (lead rider) of a Spyder under different lighting conditions and these are my direct observations.
    I can notice it quite clearly, street signs ect...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SHUTTER - BOUNCE

This is interesting .... quite awhile back , I had this same conversation with Billy Bovine .....and I'm 99.999% sure He said the Shutter is locked at Low setting AND High setting.....So there cannot be ANY bounce .....I wasn't convinced ..... Mike ......................MAYBE He will chime in on this
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-14-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is interesting quite awhile back , I had this same conversation with Billy Bovine .....and I'm 99.999% sure He said the Shutter is locked at Low setting AND High setting.....So there cannot be ANY bounce .....I wasn't convinced ..... Mike ......................MAYBE He will chime in on this
    I don't think it's locked. There's a solenoid that pulls the shutter out of the way for high beam. Otherwise there is a spring that holds it in low beam position. If bouncing is heavy enough then the bounce apparently can move the shutter against the spring pressure.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is interesting .... quite awhile back , I had this same conversation with Billy Bovine .....and I'm 99.999% sure He said the Shutter is locked at Low setting AND High setting.....So there cannot be ANY bounce .....I wasn't convinced ..... Mike ......................MAYBE He will chime in on this
    Don't know about the "locked" thing. When we had our RS and GS, spouse used to ride behind me. When low beams were on, it did appear the lights were flashing (and in a bluish color). The road was quite uneven. If the shutters are "locked," then IMO--the uneven roads are the cause of the flickering of the lights. Either way, the low beams do seem to flash.

Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles