Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure in the Rear Kuhmo tire

I took my Rt out last night after a tire change to the Kuhmo tire. I hit a couple corners a little hard and the nanny kicked in for slippage. I currently have 25PSI in the tire. Is there an ideal pressure to stop the slippage. I do not need any debate on which tire is the best and which one I should have went with. Just an answer to the question of what tire pressure is ideal for the RT with 2 up normally.

Spyder Garage

Default PLAY

EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS DIFFERENT, AND EVERY RIDING CONDITION IS AS WELL...
    JUST PLAY WITH YOU RIDE BY GOING EITHER UP OR DOWN ON THE PSI TO FIND THE BEST POSSIBLE CONDITION FOR YOURSELF....
    HOWEVER, WITH THAT SAID, YOUR STATEMENT THAT YOU HIT A CORNER 'A LITTLE HARD' WOULD INDICATE THAT THIS IS THE REASON FOR SLIPPAGE.... KEEP IN MIND - THERE'S NOT MUCH WEIGHT BACK THERE...
    RIDE SAFELY AND ENJOY...
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

What model Spyder do you have? I have an RT Limited and recently installed a Kuhmo on mine and couldn't be happier. It solidified the handling and I haven't had is slide yet. I too normally ride two up, and my wife likes it better also. I normally 26 psi and it appears I am getting even wear across the face of the tread. Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 10 View Post
    I took my Rt out last night after a tire change to the Kuhmo tire. I hit a couple corners a little hard and the nanny kicked in for slippage. I currently have 25PSI in the tire. Is there an ideal pressure to stop the slippage. I do not need any debate on which tire is the best and which one I should have went with. Just an answer to the question of what tire pressure is ideal for the RT with 2 up normally.
    Your Kumho is a CAR tire meant for a vehicle that weighs 3 1/2 times as much as the Spyder. Peter Aaewan will tell you in 1000 words ( maybe less ) exactly why 21 psi would be MUCH better. I'll shorten it by saying the KUMHO works better at 21 psi ( any car tire will ). This is especially true if it's WET..... Also IMHO, the NANNY kicks in if you EXCEED the " G " force allowable in a turn, this is when the tires are NOT slipping ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sort of agree with Mike...
    But I haven't been able to gather up the courage to drop any lower than 24 psi yet.
    At 11,000 miles: it's still looking pretty darn good.
    Perhaps this Spring is when I'll drop it a couple of more psi...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I sort of agree with Mike...
    But I haven't been able to gather up the courage to drop any lower than 24 psi yet.
    At 11,000 miles: it's still looking pretty darn good.
    Perhaps this Spring is when I'll drop it a couple of more psi...
    Bob, just for a discussion ..... what do you think MIGHT happen if you went to 21 psi ? ......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was the PERFECT setup for this one!

Honestly: it's NOT that I think that you're wrong at all...
    But I am such an "inside the box" kind of thinker, that going beyond my comfort zone, doesn't happen easily or quickly!

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats on the new tire

Looking forward to some warmer days ahead and hopefully when the gravel gets cleared off the roads a bit. Play with the pressures and see what suits you and your riding style best.

There is no wrong pressure for these car tires IMHO between 20 and 30 psi you will still be rolling and enjoying your ride. Look to the air pressure guide for your air shock as well to explore your options and find out what is "BEST" FOR YOU! We ride mostly one up on Kumhos at 27 psi. (right now they're in the garage at 24-25 psi at 50F)
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I know that brand new mc tires can be a little squirrelly until they get a little wear on them. Could that be the case hear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure in the rear Kuhmo tire

I have a base model RT.

Spyder Garage

Default New tire are slippery......

.....until you "scrub it" enough..... proven so far with a 3 kumho and 1 proxie4.... also used the kumho down to 20 lbs single with n.p. Went back up to 22 after seeing that 1/4" of the shoulder started to be scrubbed when riding hard. ( close to the limit) at 20. At 22 stayed the same.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

22 psi? I think that I could talk my chicken-**** self into that...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

drive it around a bit and see if it gets any better for BITE.. Then try PSI adjustments.

Still a bit cool outside yet too

Spyder Garage

Default My $.02 and worth every penny maybe?

As you say you just had the tire replaced, the slippage may be due to the tire needing a couple of hundred miles or less to scrub the tread surface of mold release and roughen it a bit to obtain maximum traction. And as others advise, a lower pressure may work better depending on the load and road surface. Have fun!

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    .....until you "scrub it" enough..... proven so far with a 3 kumho and 1 proxie4.... also used the kumho down to 20 lbs single with n.p. Went back up to 22 after seeing that 1/4" of the shoulder started to be scrubbed when riding hard. ( close to the limit) at 20. At 22 stayed the same.
    I find this interesting ....... I have more than 75,000 miles on various CAR tires - Kumho, Michelin, Falken, Toyo and at 20 - 21 psi ( did some testing at LESS ) and never experienced - sidewall SCRUBBING ....... There are folks here who have ridden with me and I think they would agree I ride at 9/10 ths a lot ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure in the Rear Kuhmo tire

I just got back after about a 75 mile ride. The tire did not slip today and I even got caught in the rain with no slippage. Talking about pucker factor when you are trying a new tire and then it decided to rain on you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    22 psi? I think that I could talk my chicken-**** self into that...
    I've dropped mine to 22 on the F3-L with my 310lbs on it, Bob. I "believe" it is a little more stable than it was at 24, but my seat-of-the-pants impressions are not usually worth a damn
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I had a little bit of a rear "step out" yesterday, rounding a 50mph corner at 50mph on my Kuhmo KU22 205/55 that now has around 400 miles on it. I rode on, and was tossing over in my mind whether it was nanny, tyre pressures etc etc, and I thought "why am I guessing"?

So I rode back and had a look at the corner, and sure enough, right on the rear tyre line was a recent 18"x18" hot mix patch that I hadn't seen on my first pass. It was combined with a hundred degree day to make it pretty slippery. So I rode back through the corner and the back slipped a little again. If I hadn't gone back I would probably STILL be guessing just what caused the step out.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

RS-S 4 lbs under spec with nitrogen.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I just got back after about a 75 mile ride. The tire did not slip today and I even got caught in the rain with no slippage. Talking about pucker factor when you are trying a new tire and then it decided to rain on you.
    A Brand New Tire is going to slip because it needs time to break in? Today was probably warmer and better results. I drive my 2012 RT with the Kuhmo at 28 pounds and its warm to the touch when I stop and put my hand on it. I wouldn't go lower than that BUT that's me?>???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    A Brand New Tire is going to slip because it needs time to break in? Today was probably warmer and better results. I drive my 2012 RT with the Kuhmo at 28 pounds and its warm to the touch when I stop and put my hand on it. I wouldn't go lower than that BUT that's me?>???
    Yeah, and I can completely understand that Sarge. It seems anti logic to go to a low psi at first, but then, try explaining counter steering to a non biker. They will just nod their head and walk away saying 'bloody idiot" ...... but everything Mike and Peter A have posted on here makes perfect sense to me, they both have excellent and detailed histories in the tyre (tire for Mike) game to be seen as "experts", and everything they have told me will happen, has happened, so I am more than happy to follow their recommendations along with a little judicious google confirmation, of course.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Nanny kicked in for slippage? I haven't come across that yet, and I power slide as often as possible!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Mike....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I find this interesting ....... I have more than 75,000 miles on various CAR tires - Kumho, Michelin, Falken, Toyo and at 20 - 21 psi ( did some testing at LESS ) and never experienced - sidewall SCRUBBING ....... There are folks here who have ridden with me and I think they would agree I ride at 9/10 ths a lot ......... Mike
    ......Not sidewall, just the first 1/4" on the tread rounding towards the sidewall.... I didn't mean the tire was lying on its side..... 😄

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4

Spyder Garage

Default NOT SCRUBBING

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    ......Not sidewall, just the first 1/4" on the tread rounding towards the sidewall.... I didn't mean the tire was lying on its side..... 😄
    Actually neither did I ..... With a Spyder I don't think that's even possible ..... But, you say that went away after adding 2 lbs of pressure!........... Generally speaking the Car tires we are using ( not Kenda or Arachnid's ) have a load capacity between 1450 and 1600 lbs ..... PER TIRE ..... even the RT with a full load of 400 lbs. has possibly 625 lbs load on the rear tire ..... I find it extremely hard to believe 2 lbs can do what you are saying occurred .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I Agree....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually neither did I ..... With a Spyder I don't think that's even possible ..... But, you say that went away after adding 2 lbs of pressure!........... Generally speaking the Car tires we are using ( not Kenda or Arachnid's ) have a load capacity between 1450 and 1600 lbs ..... PER TIRE ..... even the RT with a full load of 400 lbs. has possibly 625 lbs load on the rear tire ..... I find it extremely hard to believe 2 lbs can do what you are saying occurred .... Mike
    ....with you, Mike. Even with a completely deflated tire (leaking valve after tire change) it only looked under-inflated. The only thing I am trying to say with words is that when I saw the light scrubbing on the 1/4" above mentionned, I went up 2lbs and it is the same since then. (not that it went away). Did the 2 lbs changed something? ..... the point is 20-22 lbs is enough air, and more comfortable than the recommanded 28-30 lbs required in the Kenda. And that confirm the point that a car tire is better than a crappy "motorcycle restricted"tire.....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4