Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Installing a Trailer Hitch on a 2014 RT

My dealer says they will charge 2.5 hours to install the BRP hitch. That would be almost $300 just for installation which seems excessive to me. Does it really take two and a half hours to install that hitch?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    My dealer says they will charge 2.5 hours to install the BRP hitch. That would be almost $300 just for installation which seems excessive to me. Does it really take two and a half hours to install that hitch?

That sounds reasonable. If you have any ability you can install it yourself and save a few $$$. It takes about 20 minutes to install the hitch itself (very easy). The somewhat difficult part is installing the wiring module. And that's only if you've never taken off the tupperware. The module itself is plug and play.

It really is pretty easy once you get past taking off the tupperware.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed my own and yes with it being my first time to tear apart the Spyder, for the wiring it took me aver 2.5 hours.
    Older Spyders with the battery in the back wouldn't take near as long. With the battery in the frunk, all of the tupperware had to come off of one side.
    Hitch itself was a easy.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unless you're all-thumbs, you'll learn a lot about your byke installing it yourself. 2.5 hours is reasonable for a novice, but (I think) it should take less time for an experienced dealer.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The back end receiver is easy..But the wiring could be another story as that could take longer. But if you are handy you can do it you self..

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 , but I think it is the same. For the hitch, you just remove the two caps on the rear wheel, slide hitch on,then slide rod threw and dolt.
    For the wiring, at the back lower end by the saddle bag, there is a fexible flap. This where the harness comes out. Take a fishing tool and you can run it up to the area under the seat. Plug in module and pull trailer harness down with the fishing tool. At that area there is a plastic tie you bolt your harness to bike.
    Hope this helps! Do a dry run, so you can see how easy it is.
    If you don't want the hitch on all the time , just remove rod and slide hitch off.

Spyder Garage

Forgot, the wire harness comes out by left saddle bag.

Spyder Garage

I installed my wiring with the help from a download guide. on the 2014 r/t it not that hard. taking the back off was easy. just don't work yourself into a sweat, follow the guide.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. Due to a neurological problem, I am unable to do it myself. I just figured that an experienced tech could do it in an hour or so, but it sounds like I figured wrong. I had not thought about running the wiring from the front. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Just FYI... It's installed with all three wheels on the ground.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

While they have all the tupperware off, think of anything else you might want to do in the future. It would be a lot less expensive to do it then while the Spyder is open.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

While they have all the tupperware off, think of anything else you might want to do in the future. It would be a lot less expensive to do it then while the Spyder is open.

Jack
    Thanks Jack. Great idea!

Spyder Garage

I have to re-install harness from my 2010 to my new 2014. The difference is that not the battery is in the front. So I will have to cut the power & ground wire and add more wire to make it to the front. Any suggestions on where to run the wire to the front, or just wire tire to frame all the way.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

believe there is a connector that plugs into the harness on the 2014 mine is behind the left tail light

Spyder Garage

If u r installing the BRP factory hitch when not pulling your trailer very much as like during winter months u may want to remove bak section of hitch. Fairly simple to remove 4 bolts & take off rear section. looks cleaner w/o hitch & less chance of banging your leg when u get into trunk.

Spyder Garage

Mine is a Big Bike plug-n-play harness, so plugs into tail lights behind left and right one, but still have to run the hot and ground to the battery in front. I never heard of a place to plug + & - in back there.

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    believe there is a connector that plugs into the harness on the 2014 mine is behind the left tail light

Spyder Garage

I got the hitch that does not require the removal of the rear tire and it bolted up with no problems. I am having the dealer do the wiring.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Mine is a Big Bike plug-n-play harness, so plugs into tail lights behind left and right one, but still have to run the hot and ground to the battery in front. I never heard of a place to plug + & - in back there.
    Believe there is a plug that has the +/- connector that comes on the bike already? I seen a connector when I took off the left tail light that came from under the seat area out to the left tail light. But I have the BRP module not the BIG Bike HArness.

Spyder Garage

Default Installing trailer hitch on 2014 RT

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I have to re-install harness from my 2010 to my new 2014. The difference is that not the battery is in the front. So I will have to cut the power & ground wire and add more wire to make it to the front. Any suggestions on where to run the wire to the front, or just wire tire to frame all the way.
    Steve if you want to make it cleaner you could drop your frunk and snake a wire puller down through the inside of the frame, run your extensions into the frame through an opening and then route down in the front to the battery. Just make sure you protect the wires where they go down into the inside of the frame and the transition into the frunk.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Professor, is there any other Spyder owners near you? I am sure someone would put that on for you. If you were near me, I would do it for you. I would not pay that kind of money for that install. That's just crazy. Post something like "is there anyone near (city,state) that could give me a hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Steve if you want to make it cleaner you could drop your frunk and snake a wire puller down through the inside of the frame, run your extensions into the frame through an opening and then route down in the front to the battery. Just make sure you protect the wires where they go down into the inside of the frame and the transition into the frunk.

Al
    Yea, waiting for warmer weather and going to try to route it somewhere along frame, then through where the wires go into Frunk to the battery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk