Spyder Garage

Default Oil Drain Plugs - Dimple or Gold?

My last oil change I stripped the torx head on the transmission plug. I've read some comments of replacements here. What do you recommend?
    And how can I get the bad plug out? There may be enough shoulder to get a vise grip on it. I hate to pay the dealer $85 to do the job.
    Thanks
    Buckeye Chuck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VS.

Back a few months ago some people here had issues with the Dimple brand failing ..... it appeared the thread area was too thin after they drilled for the magnet ....... So far no issues with the Gold brand ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

You will get many opinions so with no explanation....I use dimple..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default If just getting the one plug- Check Lamonsters Site for a ShowChrome Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    My last oil change I stripped the torx head on the transmission plug. I've read some comments of replacements here. What do you recommend?
    And how can I get the bad plug out? There may be enough shoulder to get a vise grip on it. I hate to pay the dealer $85 to do the job.
    Thanks
    Buckeye Chuck
    -I'm not sure if the transplug is a 12 or 14 mm- Lamonsters site showed some magnetic plugs with a Hex head.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

When I first switched from the OEM plugs I went with Dimple plugs.. Then I heard that a few were having issues with the Dimple brand and at my next oil change switch to the Gold plugs. I switched to the Gold plugs just for peace of mind. I had no problem with the Dimple plugs though.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

You don't say what model Spyder you have but if it's a 1330 engine, the transmission (actually clutch cover) plug is a 6mm Allen, not a Torx. You might consider trying to grind down a larger, like 7mm Allen, and tapping it into the plug to remove same. I've had no problem with my Dimple plugs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Buckeye Chuck
    Had a friend with one stripped on the oil tank. Got me a big pair of channel locks and was able to break it loose. I got a set of gold plugs ready to install at next oil change. I have used Gold plugs in the past with no problems. Cannot say anything bad about Dimple , have never used them.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 05-24-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

i use the dimples in my 1330.i think you can break anything if you try hard enough.
    to get the old one out try looking for a kit called spline out,we have them here in aus.you knock them in with a hammer and they cut their way into the part left.put a spanner on and bingo you got it.
    ive tried a larger torx bit with socket head banged in too,it cuts in nearly as good.

stu

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have used the Gold plugs in both my Spyders. MP-01 and MP-18 are the plugs you need for the 1330 engine and MP-01 is used on the 998's.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gold here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The hex head replacement plugs are fine on the trans side if you really think you need them. On the engine side with the 2 orings and the treads at the far end of the plug, we will not install the aftermarket plugs that have been drilled for a magnet. Leaves far too weak of a plug body under the o-ring grooves. Its a MAJOR operation to get the broken off plug out when it breaks.

Use the correct tools on the factory plugs and you will not have any problems with them.

And for the OP, the trans plug is 6mm hex, not torx. You may not have stripped it at all. If you did, its because you stuck the wrong tool in it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Buckeye Chuck
    BOTH OE PLUGS STRIPPED ON ME LAST TIME SO I GOT THEM OUT WITH A GOOD PAIR OF VISE GRIPS ON THE LIP OF THE HEADS, NO PROBLEM.

I PUT GOLD IN AND LOVE THEM!

Spyder Garage

Default GOLD

GOLD
    http://goldplug.com/
    888-578-3851 ask for Tim...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dimple, I have had them on all my bikes.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default gold

Thanks
    Buckeye Chuck
    the very first time I used the dimple plugs the clutch cover plug broke in half that oil change cost me $800 + I put the factory plug back in and just make sure I tap it a little to seat it all the way in and it won`t strip if a quality bit is used.
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

I've used Dimple plugs since they have been available in my 1330.
    I've had no trouble with these plugs at all.
    With a tork rating of 15 foot pounds for the drain plugs can't see ever having a problem with these plugs if installed properly...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Apparently Gold Plug has folded, the phone is disconnected and e-mails etc... go unanswered. Placed an order and funds were paid...crickets
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1330 View Post
    Apparently Gold Plug has folded, the phone is disconnected and e-mails etc... go unanswered. Placed an order and funds were paid...crickets
    I wonder if their decision to accept crypto had anything to do with it? https://goldplug.com/blog/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

C'mon people, the resurgence of all these oil change & drain plug threads is simply because Jane has (in every thread) kindly given us a heads up that apparently Gold Plugs has folded!! See post #17, quoted below....

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1330 View Post
    So there is no further need to rehash the already finalised discussion in any of these threads - not unless you've got something new &/or helpful to add that hasn't already been covered, anyway!!

And No, there is no need to report these posts, it's not spam - well, not yet anyway!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!