Spyder Garage

Default Stop light + Yield sign = ?

OK, I give up... What am I supposed to do when I come to a right-hand turn lane and I have both a red stoplight and a Yield sign?

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    OK, I give up... What am I supposed to do when I come to a right-hand turn lane and I have both a red stoplight and a Yield sign?
    Wait till the light turns Green?? And Yield to oncoming traffic??

Spyder Garage

+Normally, with a yield sign present, the right turn lane at the stoplight is separated by a median of any width or, at a minimum, pavement markings delineating a separation from the normal lanes of travel. The right lane is thus presented as a turning lane where you're expected to yield to oncoming traffic progressing through the intersection.

I've seen some poor presentations of this concept, and it sounds like you're about to describe one of them a bit further.

I've also seen congestion-based versions of this, whereby you're on an entrance ramp with a yield sign at green (advising you to enter but yield to traffic), or stop (advising you to wait until "IT" says to go, but again, yield to traffic at that time).

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    Last edited by Roadkill; 07-20-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: further clarification

Spyder Garage

Let me guess, Washington Road and Bobby Jones intersection?

If you are in the right lane, you can just yield. The traffic light is for the vehicles in the other lane. The big thing is make sure you can see, and be seen, at one of these intersections and don't trust the other drivers to do what they are supposed to. If you ryde like they are out to kill you, then everything should be fine.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Per my motorcop friend in Georgia, the yeild sign on a right turn lane with a red light means you can make the right turn without stopping, but must yield to traffic with the right of way (those with the green light). If you have the green light, YOU have the right of way.

But don't force the issue. You'll never win that argument...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Right turn on Red

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Per my motorcop friend in Georgia, the yeild sign on a right turn lane with a red light means you can make the right turn without stopping, but must yield to traffic with the right of way (those with the green light). If you have the green light, YOU have the right of way.

In northern Illinois all most everyone makes a right turn on red without stopping, yeild sign or not.

You may be right but don't be dead right!

Spyder Garage

Per my motorcop friend in Georgia, the yeild sign on a right turn lane with a red light means you can make the right turn without stopping, but must yield to traffic with the right of way (those with the green light).

Thanks. That's what I figured, but since nobody usually stops for a "right on red" I thought I'd ask.

The other oddity down here is the double "right on red." In Ohio, whenever there's two turning lanes, there's usually a sign indicating "right on red from curb lane only."

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    The other oddity down here is the double "right on red." In Ohio, whenever there's two turning lanes, there's usually a sign indicating "right on red from curb lane only."
    They had to find some way to keep the visitors on their toes. Actually, a lot of that has to do with keeping traffic flowing during Master's Week which takes place just down the road from where you are currently staying.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree. That's the way it's usually treated in Texas. If there is no yield sign, it's okay to make a right on red but only after stopping unless otherwise marked.

Cotton