Spyder Garage

Default QUESTIONS ABOUT THE X-GRIP OR CELLPHONE HOLDER

2016 RT-S

Was looking for some input on a holder for cellphone (I have Lamonster Spyder Dock in the center/GPS) Is the X-Grip type holders enough to not worry about your cell phone falling off the bike? I would hate to try and find my Iphone 7 laying on the highway. Not sure where I'm going to put this x-grip yet. I like the Spyder-cuff,but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Let me know your thoughts......

Thanks for the input

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

There are a few variations of the x-grip. I have used them on a few bikes so far. Right now I put x grip on my wife 2014 ST Limited using a x grip with a Ram ez on/off a handlebar mount cause I could not find anything else that would work. It attach using cable ties. She has never had a problem losing her phone! I use an x grip on my BMW 1209 RT again never has a problem with the falling off or even coming close. If you that worried I think they have some type of rubber Web grip that can also hold phone in along with xgrip. I have rode thousand and thousand of miles with no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I think it works great

https://youtu.be/jPjrECr5NRw

2015 ST Limited SE5 in Vegas White Serial Number 0162
    BRP Backrest, BRP Travel Bags, Larger break pedal
    Baha Ron Sway Bar & Links, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner
    BRP Trailer Hitch, 2011 Rt-622 Trailer (Pearl White)
    Laser Alignment -(wasn't needed???)
    IPS Holder, X-Grip Phone/ Cup Holder

Spyder Garage

Default X-Grip

I currently have the x-grip mounted on the spyder cuff. I have also used it on JT's dash mount. A couple of times, when crossing rough railroad tracks, the cell phone did dislodge from the x-grip, and luckily landed in my lap before hitting the ground. I purchased a couple of the rubber web grips that DaveM talked about from Amazon for under $10. They work great and now I don't worry about my phone coming loose any more. I will probably proactively replace the rubber web grip every year if it appears to be weakening due to sun exposure. I would make sure that you have some sort of backup to the x-grip.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

+1 on Boilermaker's post.
    Never had a problem with X-Grip for many miles. Just purchased a couple Texel Web Grips for added peace of mind. Now definitely no worries!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

there are ways to secure the phone or others to the Xgrip. Being the easiest to use they are everywhere. I would put a lanyard to the phone case for security...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default X-Grip

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    2016 RT-S

Was looking for some input on a holder for cellphone (I have Lamonster Spyder Dock in the center/GPS) Is the X-Grip type holders enough to not worry about your cell phone falling off the bike? I would hate to try and find my Iphone 7 laying on the highway. Not sure where I'm going to put this x-grip yet. I like the Spyder-cuff,but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Let me know your thoughts......

Thanks for the input
    I have the 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S. Because I rely on gps, but needed an "inexpensive" one with bluetooth, and Google maps, I obtained a small x-grip. There's a 1" ball ram mount secured by the two screws near the ignition with a long arm. The x-grip holds the phone without any issue. I can receive instructions over the bike's audio system, or through a bluetooth earpiece.

Spyder Garage

Ram Mount actually recommends a tether for the X Grip use. In fact, I'm pretty sure the newer x grips come with a rubber tether out of the box. I know two people that have lost devices when hitting a rough patch of road when using the x grip.

For my tether, I put all weather industrial hook and loop tape(velcro-don't cheap out, get the good stuff) on the center circle of the x grip and then put the other side of the hook and loop on the back of my phone case. The Velcro works great as a tether and doesn't get in the way of anything.

Note... Tape backed hook and loop will not stick to the back of silicon phone cases.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

When I looked at phone holders and compared them all I decided to go with the Tech Gripper. Had it attached to JT dash bar, Spyder Cuff and most recently the dash via mount in old fuel gauge hole. Have ridden thousand of miles with it and no worries about phone coming out.
    2017-03-23 14.55.29.jpg
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Default try this 1

Spyder Garage

Default Update

So after 15000 trouble free miles, I hit a pot hole yesterday and my phone bounced off. So I pulled over to pick it up and when I got two feet away from the phone a car almost hit me and drove over it. Both tires front and back. $850 to replace it.

2015 ST Limited SE5 in Vegas White Serial Number 0162
    BRP Backrest, BRP Travel Bags, Larger break pedal
    Baha Ron Sway Bar & Links, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner
    BRP Trailer Hitch, 2011 Rt-622 Trailer (Pearl White)
    Laser Alignment -(wasn't needed???)
    IPS Holder, X-Grip Phone/ Cup Holder

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch

is right.
    Ranman42

Spyder Garage

Have my phone in one and my GPS in another. 30000 with no issues.