Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stupid!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I have a Suzuki M109 LE that has 2 drain plugs. It does however have only 1 filter. I just got the F3 T so have not experienced the filter and oil change yet but will no doubt have the same thoughts.
    Got you beat, my Triump Rocket3 has 3 drain plugs

Spyder Garage

My Honda NighthawkS had 3 drain plugs plus the spin on filter. The use sections of the frame to circulate the oil up to an oil cooling radiator. One large oil pan would catch the filter, the crankcase, and one frame drain. Then a coffee can caught the 2nd frame drain. Fun fun fun. It was a great bike tho! Shaft drive and auto valve adjusters so oil and plugs were about the only maintenance ever needed.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear wheel valve stem

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I miss the "Good Old Days"; when we only complained about the valve stem on the rear wheel...
    How DO you get to that valve stem? I laid on the floor, contorted my right arm to position the pressure gauge while I tried to hold it tight to the stem, them did it again to put some air in the tire.... there must be an easier way to get to that rear valve stem. Should I have started a new thread about this rather than jumping in a discussion about changing oil? I want to be a courteous forum member.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Extended oil change interval and engine life seem worth a bit of extra effort and filtration.

Spyder Garage

I was getting worried, thought I missed a filter! Didn't know that the SE's have two, the SM's only one, whew !!!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If you only wanted one filter then you should have bought a manual version. It only has one. Maybe it's time to trade yours in.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

....and don't forget...placing those two drains just ONE INCH further apart than my catch pan's diameter, so I can't drain both with the same pan at the same time.

....and the two filter covers that could, BUT DON'T use the same length screws, so that if you inadvertently get them switched your engine filter cover looks and feels tight, but won't hold oil. Ask me how I know.

....and NO COLD SUMP DIPSTICK!! 'Cause (see above) now I'm not sure how much oil I have left in the engine and I don't want to run it to op-temp to check the level since it might not be safe because, again, I'm not sure how much oil I have left in the engine. I guess I'll just dump 2 quarts in and work up from there.

I had a wonderful afternoon yesterday. Sure am glad I only do this once a year. Now I have a huge oil spot on my carport floor to remind me not do do stupid stuff in future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Can Am Spyder designers don't care what you think when it comes to how the bike was designed when it comes to servicing the engine, after all they want you all to take it in to a dealer.
    Agree, it was designed to create job.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps a better solution to the situation would be to perform proper due diligence PRIOR to purchasing what one considers to be a poorly designed piece of equipment.

i have worked on enough equipment over the years to know that engineers do NOT have to service or maintain what they design, but the die was cast prior to your purchase, so accept your fate with a grin or frustrate yourself with the inevitable!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    I betcha my left hand doesn't get as tired as yours whilst sitting at one of those extra-long traffic signals or tied up in rush hour traffic.
    I have no problem, but you can always kick it up to (N) if the wait is too long.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Perhaps a better solution to the situation would be to perform proper due diligence PRIOR to purchasing what one considers to be a poorly designed piece of equipment.

i have worked on enough equipment over the years to know that engineers do NOT have to service or maintain what they design, but the die was cast prior to your purchase, so accept your fate with a grin or frustrate yourself with the inevitable!

Joe
    You're right of course....and overall it's been a great machine with just minor issues that I've been able to handle myself for the most part.

I just needed a rant this morning.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BY COMMITTEE ?

BOY DO I AGREE WITH THAT ONE..... I have had over 30 motorcycles in my life time
    and not one had the crazy things about them that my Spyder has. You should change out
    the battery on mine some time, first remove the left saddle bag then remove the saddle bag
    mounting bracket, then remove 2 maybe 3 left side body side panels then if you look hard
    and are lucky you will find the battery under the seat laying on it's side.... STUPID.
    Well mine is not there any more I moved it to the front trunk in a nice small battery box.
    I am sure the Spyders were all designed by NON RIDING and NON MECHANICAL people
    who were put in a room and told to come up with something new and different.
    It's not bad servicing Spyders at all, if you don't have to do it yourself. Hey maybe that
    is why the labor rates are so high for service on them,
    It sure don't cost $250+ to have the oil changed on my GoldWing.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    I just finished changing my oil and filters, again. And I cannot believe the intelligence level of the Can Am Spyder designers! To change oil one must remove not one, but 4 body panels to access the drain plugS and filterS. Not one plug, mind you, but TWO! STUPID! And replace not one oil filter, mind you, but TWO! And different filters at that! STUPID! Especially since the oil is used in both the engine and transmission, why TWO and not only two, but two DIFFERENT filters. In all of my motorcycles that used the same oil in the tranny and the engine not one had more than ONE drain plug and ONE filter.

Unbelievable!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    I share your concern(s). There must be logic for both filters ... it would be interesting to hear from BRP.
    Having known a few engineers myself it helps to know they are still just doing their job & were givin a set of parameters to work with. Those parameters are not yours. At this time, when it is your time what will you come up with?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bfromla; 12-09-2016 at 02:21 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Hi Bfromla,

Re: Having know a few engineers

Well, since I are one, IMO every design is a trade-off.

No design can ever be perfect for everyone.

Ya spends ya money & ya takes ya chances,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,

Re: Well mine is not there any more I moved it to the front trunk in a nice small battery box.

How about a few photos and some thoughts on just how you did this?

Curious minds want to know,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Change Headlight Bulb on ST

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Yes, I agree totally. For routine maintenance, such as oil changes, taking off all that body work is really foolish. At least on the newer ACE engines, the maintenance interval has bee substantially increased. IMPORTANT NOTE: While your changing your oil, change out those allen/torx head drain plugs to hex head plugs from Dimple Products. In general, I have to say that maintenance on these machines is not well thought out. Wait till you have to change out a headlight bulb !
    I will be changing the original two-different-sized drain plugs to Gold Plug drain plugs at the next oil change. Both use 17mm wrenches ... just like "real" motorcycles, and the magnets are supposed to be super magnetic. As for changing a headlight bulb on an ST, yeesh .. who thought that process up! Many parts to remove, skinned knuckles ... owch! There are many areas of the Spyder that makes one wonder who thought of the way to put everything together. Try changing spark plugs and an air filter on an ST. :-( :-(
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2 cent's worth on the subject. if you do not have a skinned owie, or a stripped bolt/nut, or a missing fastener, you are CLEARLY NOT BONDING WITH YOUR SPYDER. It is a gentle and loving learning curve...... Think about it.