Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default OEM tires improved?

After the original rear tire on my RT only lasted 6k miles, I started using car tires. It's a pain because many dealers will not install car tires, and I don't want to worry with taking the wheel off myself. Have the OEM tires improved to the point we can consider them again, or do dealers offer a better alternative?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OEM Tires

SORRY, NO change. Kenda LOVES to make $$$. The CAR Tire is the better way to RYDE .
    Last edited by Little Blue; 01-17-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Any tire manufactured after 2814 (28th week of 2014, at the end of the DOT string of numbers on the tire) is a harder compound than ones made before that date. The harder compound MAY give you longer life depending on how you ride. My first two tires, the soft compound lasted only around 7K while my first tire with the harder compound gave me over 11K. My second harder compound tire is approaching paws up at only 8.6K but that tire has 5,500+ miles of interstate travel at high speed. I'm just about finished researching a dealer not too far away that will install a car tire for me.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default They did....

Not many gave them a second chance but they did change the compound back to the original. They do last longer now but it still depends on where, when, what and how you ryde. I got on average 16,000 miles on the Kendas and am currently on a Arachnid which I will not know for some time. Have about 7,000 on it now and it looks like I am about half or less to the wear limit. Being a mechanical machine there will be no studies as to the effects of using the car tires and the issues the spyders are having but I will continue on the recommended tires.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The OEM tires are overpriced and of low (IMO) quality control. However, if you get a good set they are fine (once you get past the price and the low longevity). But if you get a bad one, it can be a real pain.

Interestingly, of all the posts I've seen about bad tires over the years. I've yet to see one about a bad car tire. Maybe I missed them.

I have seen a few posts where the OP was not thrilled with traction. Especially in wet (that's where you need to do your research). But nothing about the major build issues encountered with way too many Kenda's.

Get the right tire to the right installer and you'll get a far superior product for less money.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What's the problem with installation: Dealers that won't install other than OEM or can't find tire shop to do it?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW TYPE KENDA

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The OEM tires are overpriced and of low (IMO) quality control. However, if you get a good set they are fine (once you get past the price and the low longevity). But if you get a bad one, it can be a real pain.

Interestingly, of all the posts I've seen about bad tires over the years. I've yet to see one about a bad car tire. Maybe I missed them.

I have seen a few posts where the OP was not thrilled with traction. Especially in wet (that's where you need to do your research). But nothing about the major build issues encountered with way too many Kenda's.

Get the right tire to the right installer and you'll get a far superior product for less money.
    with Ron ..... and would add that I believe Kenda changed the rubber compound ....But NOT the way they are constructed ... They are still made with less than Half the Plies that car tire are made with ....... Ask your self this .... Would you rather have a tire that is at or near it's maximum weight load (ie the Kenda's ) .....or a tire ( ie car type ) that can hold three times the weight load exerted by your Spyder ........ Another way of looking at is an " S " rated tire vs. " V " rated one, me I'd rather you the tire that was tested at 160+MPH vs 108mph ......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always felt that the Kendas handled okay, road quietly, and gave a decently smooth ride...
    But when you figure in the cost, and short tread-life: there ARE better alternatives out there...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Ron ..... and would add that I believe Kenda changed the rubber compound ....But NOT the way they are constructed ... They are still made with less than Half the Plies that car tire are made with ....... Ask your self this .... Would you rather have a tire that is at or near it's maximum weight load (ie the Kenda's ) .....or a tire ( ie car type ) that can hold three times the weight load exerted by your Spyder ........ Another way of looking at is an " S " rated tire vs. " V " rated one, me I'd rather you the tire that was tested at 160+MPH vs 108mph ......... Mike
    What you're saying makes sense, but I wonder if the Kendas were designed that way in order to improve the ride (and of course to save money!). Extra plies and extra weight capacity should make the sidewall flex less, especially on a vehicle as light as the Spyder. Less flex would lead to better handling and at least theoretically, a harsher ride. I know that switching from all-season tires to ultra-performance summer tires on a car has that effect. The rear wheel of the Spyder is right under the passenger, so maybe they deemed the ride quality to be most important. That might have been BRP's purpose in specifying these tires.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    What you're saying makes sense, but I wonder if the Kendas were designed that way in order to improve the ride (and of course to save money!). Extra plies and extra weight capacity should make the sidewall flex less, especially on a vehicle as light as the Spyder. Less flex would lead to better handling and at least theoretically, a harsher ride. I know that switching from all-season tires to ultra-performance summer tires on a car has that effect. The rear wheel of the Spyder is right under the passenger, so maybe they deemed the ride quality to be most important. That might have been BRP's purpose in specifying these tires.
    I was told by a very credible source that Kenda was THE ONLY MANUFACTURER to bid on the Spyder tires.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

They got your questions answered. The early 2014 came with "softer" rubber compound. My first tire lasted 8,900 miles. The next is 15K and still going. Most of the rear tires I have had got 15K or better.

Most dealers that balk at installing non-OEM tires claim safety issues. I do not believe there are any safety issues with using car tires if you desire.

My problem, I don't want any non-spyder mechanic screwing up the bike with tire removal and re-installation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think they have improved, not saying they are worth the price, but I got 19000 on my original Kenda on the F3L. The dealer put a Kumho on as the replacement, so I will have to compare over time.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Catch 22

For me, none of my local motorcycle dealers (BRP shops) will mount car tires, and none of the auto places (discount tire, big-O) want to work on the rear Spyder wheel. I don't have the tools/desire to pull the rear tire myself. So.. any of you run Kenda (or BRP approved) tires in the back and car tires in front?

Also, going from a 2ply to a 4ply, do you run lower pressures to reduce the harshness?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default NON-MATCHING TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    For me, none of my local motorcycle dealers (BRP shops) will mount car tires, and none of the auto places (discount tire, big-O) want to work on the rear Spyder wheel. I don't have the tools/desire to pull the rear tire myself. So.. any of you run Kenda (or BRP approved) tires in the back and car tires in front?

Also, going from a 2ply to a 4ply, do you run lower pressures to reduce the harshness?
    There are ...ZERO .. issues as far as a Kenda rear and car tire fronts other than the Kenda is the weaker tire ....your Spyder will handle OK ..... and I have recommended lower tire pressures if you run Car tires either front, rear or both ends ..... a four ply tire doesn't need a lot of Air pressure to support it ........... I accidently let my Michelin Hydro-edge rear tire get down to 6 psi ...... and the Rim still wasn't hitting the ground ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Peter Aawen and I have been recommending tires pressures for the rear ( when using a car tire ) to be 17-18 psi max..... whether one or two up riding .........The fact is the Kenda tire would be DANGEROUS at that psi, the sidewalls are thin and weak compared to an auto tire..... But with 18 psi in an auto tire you will still get a nice ride but much safer .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ask your dealer if he'll install a non-OEM tire, if you're willing to sign a waiver, and if you supply the tire. Some do.

I wish BRP would institute a blanket policy that allows dealers to do this. The crappy Kendas are the biggest source of heartburn among Spyder riders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I always felt that the Kendas handled okay, road quietly, and gave a decently smooth ride...
    But when you figure in the cost, and short tread-life: there ARE better alternatives out there...
    Better alternatives are not alternatives when the dealer is the only outfit willing to do the install.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Ask your dealer if he'll install a non-OEM tire, if you're willing to sign a waiver, and if you supply the tire. Some do.

I wish BRP would institute a blanket policy that allows dealers to do this. The crappy Kendas are the biggest source of heartburn among Spyder riders.
    Why would BRP want to do that?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Car Tire Install

Just wondering how many Bike Dealers are willing to DO the install. If you had a dealer install your tires Please GIVE a Big Shout OUT.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yu View Post
    Better alternatives are not alternatives when the dealer is the only outfit willing to do the install.
    You either need better powers of persuasion... or a new dealer.
    Mine will install what I bring to him: not all dealers will.

Spyder Garage

I would sell my F3L before putting Kendas back on. The originals were out of round and a back replacement Kenda from my dealer vibrated from when it was new and balanced. I had to add ride-on to ride on it.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default KENDA REAR TIRE

When I was in Quebec last year for the Spyder 10th anniversary celebration I asked a BRP rep if they had any objection to dealers installing car tires. He said there was no such directive. I have had a car tire installed at a dealer in East Tennessee and at a dealer in north Georgia. The rear Kenda on my ‘13 ST-S lasted less than 10,000 miles. I then had a Kumho installed and it lasted 15,000 miles. The rear Kenda on my current ‘15 F3–S lasted 11,000 miles. I then had the dealer install a Michelin Hydroedge. WOW! 13,000 miles so far and only half worn. I expect to get another 10,000 to 12,000 out of it. Too bad the Hydroedge is no longer available.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default yet another tire fight

My front KENDA tires are 20,000 miles and still going strong without ANY issues.
    My rear KENDA tire was replaced at 13,000 miles but could have EASILY gotten 15,000 out of it.

If it "aint" broke don't fix it.

Go ahead and put a harder rubber compound tire on your ride.
    Go ahead and complete your genius by making sure it support 4x the bikes weight.
    Go ahead and emergency brake as you slide into that jackknifing trailer.
    Go ahead and later comment........Road-Kill was right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Just wondering how many Bike Dealers are willing to DO the install. If you had a dealer install your tires Please GIVE a Big Shout OUT.
    Since I've only just purchased my 2016 ST-S, I haven't had to experience this YET, but my dealer told me that they have and would install a car tire.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    My front KENDA tires are 20,000 miles and still going strong without ANY issues.
    My rear KENDA tire was replaced at 13,000 miles but could have EASILY gotten 15,000 out of it.

If it "aint" broke don't fix it.

Go ahead and put a harder rubber compound tire on your ride.
    Go ahead and complete your genius by making sure it support 4x the bikes weight.
    Go ahead and emergency brake as you slide into that jackknifing trailer.
    Go ahead and later comment........Road-Kill was right.
    How about if YOU try listening to some of us, who have actually logged a fair amount of miles on Kendas, and on aftermarket tires?
    Use what you want: they're ALL better than having the bike sit there on the rims...