Spyder Garage

Default Would you go for extented warranty or parst/service discount......

Buying a brand new 2018 Spyder RT and all was going well. They pulled it out of the box, set it up and the radio wasn't working. Take apart, check this check that. Seems from the factory (so they say) the radio antenna cable to the radio box was broken/bad.
    Salesman tells me they need to replace the harness that will take a few more days getting and replacing. Should have have had the bike a few days ago but this problem came up. Salesman tells me they are going to make it up to me for all the hassle and delay.......

Says he may be able to get a third year warranty from Can-Am to make up for my time and delay. I figure that is no money out of his pocket but that third year sounds good.

Should I go with the third year or ask for a 15-20% (or more) cut on all future parts and services.

I feel I got a pretty good deal on the bike to start with but they need to pony up even if it wasn't their fault. Factory may or not feel the same way........

Thanks.........John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    Buying a brand new 2018 Spyder RT and all was going well. They pulled it out of the box, set it up and the radio wasn't working. Take apart, check this check that. Seems from the factory (so they say) the radio antenna cable to the radio box was broken/bad.
    Salesman tells me they need to replace the harness that will take a few more days getting and replacing. Should have have had the bike a few days ago but this problem came up. Salesman tells me they are going to make it up to me for all the hassle and delay.......

Says he may be able to get a third year warranty from Can-Am to make up for my time and delay. I figure that is no money out of his pocket but that third year sounds good.

Should I go with the third year or ask for a 15-20% (or more) cut on all future parts and services.

I feel I got a pretty good deal on the bike to start with but they need to pony up even if it wasn't their fault. Factory may or not feel the same way........

Thanks.........John

I would go for the additional warranty and try for 2 more years

Spyder Garage

If it was me, I'd take the 3 year warranty. With that being a first year for the instrument cluster, I can see problems in the future. That's one of the main reason I bought a 2017 F3L. Just my 2 cents though.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default Never had the bike....

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    If it was me, I'd take the 3 year warranty. With that being a first year for the instrument cluster, I can see problems in the future. That's one of the main reason I bought a 2017 F3L. Just my 2 cents though.
    I haven't been on the bike yet. This problem came out of the box while setting it up/their road test. They got with Can-Am to find out what was wrong (cable wasn't hooked to the radio) then after another road test they found the antenna cable was bad. Store says it's Can-Am's fault. Moving lips who knows who's lying.........

It's not the dealers fault but they want to make it up to me for all the time/riding lost. Just looking for options.....
    Thanks......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Warranty...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default warranty

Warranty for sure !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buying a brand new 2018 Spyder RT and all was going well. They pulled it out of the box, set it up and the radio wasn't working. Take apart, check this check that. Seems from the factory (so they say) the radio antenna cable to the radio box was broken/bad. Salesman tells me they need to replace the harness that will take a few more days getting and replacing. Should have have had the bike a few days ago but this problem came up. Salesman tells me they are going to make it up to me for all the hassle and delay.......Says he may be able to get a third year warranty from Can-Am to make up for my time and delay. I figure that is no money out of his pocket but that third year sounds good.Should I go with the third year or ask for a 15-20% (or more) cut on all future parts and services. I feel I got a pretty good deal on the bike to start with but they need to pony up even if it wasn't their fault. Factory may or not feel the same way........Thanks.........John
    The discount comes directly out of the dealer's pocket. The third year of warranty may or may not. I don't believe in screwing the local dealer unless it's their fault.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that there are issues out of the box. I would take the extra year warranty if they can get it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear that there are issues out of the box. I would take the extra year warranty if they can get it.
    Warranty for sure
    2016 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Default If they can I'll go with the warranty.......

Thanks everyone for the input and the suggestions.

I believe IF the dealer can get the extended warranty I'll take it. If Can-Am doesn't want to work with that then I'll be looking for the option of discounts through the dealer. The salesman is sincere about giving me something for my time even though it's not his fault (I still don't know if the person putting the bike together messed it up or not).

The whole thing comes down to what he "wants" to do to help me that doesn't come out of his pocket.

Never know when a lie is coming out till they move the lips...............

Updates when they happen. No film at 11. ha ha.........
    John

Spyder Garage

Default For what it’s worth

A good relationship with your dealer will pay huge dividends down the road far beyond a discount, in my experience. I’d give that priority in your thought process as well. These are the folks who are going to try and take care of you and your machine for many years to come.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Def the warranty. Discounts as "plan B."
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Warranty, it is good anywhere in North America
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Agreed with warranty and if this is where you are thinking of getting service done. Good relationship is important. Particularly during the season as they book up their apts.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe IF the dealer can get the extended warranty I'll take it. If Can-Am doesn't want to work with that then I'll be looking for the option of discounts through the dealer.
    Oh they can get it, even if they pay for it. Push for a super price on three years of extended warranty, then let them pay 1/3 and you pay 2/3, or maybe even half and half. I'm sure the dealer would much rather be out a known amount of money now and not take a gamble on future costs. Plus warranty repairs probably will cost him only his actual out of pocket cost minus the warranty reimbursement. If he's a great dealer he'll give you a 10% cut off MSRP on anything extra you buy anyway.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

Concur with Pete and Mac. Getting even more is better, even if you pay some. Our warranty paid for itself many times over!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

I say the warranty as it offers protection for the uncontrollable. With parts and service you have control over how much you spend and for what. You may not need the warranty at all, but if you do you'll likely be very pleased that you took that direction. As it's getting later in the model year, you might be able to get more than one additional year.

The best.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

Get the additional warranty, it's good everywhere unlike the dealer discount.

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

I am at the end of the first year of my BEST warranty. Bike is currently at my dealer receiving two headlight assemblies, left side controls (mode, shift, turn signals, etc) and cluster. Lets say that so far, as best as I can estimate, parts alone are north of 2k. Then add labor--my cost $50.00.

Take the one year warranty and pay for an additional two for a total of three after the normal warranty expires.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Thanks.........John
    Always take the warranty. Even if you have to kick in something to get it.Discounts can be negotiated later and there are online retailers that will sell at a discount.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze