Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    but I would like to see where they are pulling the stats from...
    Surveys submitted to CR by 11,000 owners of 12,300 motorcycles bought new from 2008 to 2014. That means there is only one year of the 1330 represented in the stats. Be interesting to see what the difference is next year with 2 years of 1330s in the stats. I kind of wish they would include owners who bought used, but maybe that's not a large enough population.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi wyliec,

Re: Can't always start off at numero uno.

While my memory is not pefect, I do believe that Lexus, after one year of being on the market, was #1 in reliability & customer satisfaction. Probably why I am now on my 3rd Lexus.

To get to #1 in their first year, BRP ( IMO ) had a tough hill to climb due to it's being such a radical departure from conventional design.

My Spyder ( bought used @ 4,000 miles ) has been almost 100% problem free; just a couple of little things. JerBer has had an entirely different experience; anyone reading his post should reach the same conclusion.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Again, I say that if BRP would let the independent mechanics have the parts at the same discount as their dealers, I think we would have less of the JerBer type of experiences. End of rant.
    I said can't always; I didn't say can't.

Spyder Garage

I got my 2014 RT-S in September of that year. Other than having to find a third party to install non-OEM tires, I haven't had any issues. I currently have 19,400 miles on it. And I now have a local dealer who actually works on an appointment basis!

Before my Spyder, I rode BMWs for 32 years. The '82 airhead was reasonably reliable, and I liked the fact that I could do most of the basic maintenance on it. Back then, BMW prided themselves on keeping the bikes as mechanically simple as possible. BMW also kinda expected the owner to be somewhat technically knowledgeable about the bike. In fact, the owner's manual included a chart of torque values for all fasteners, and there was an electrical circuitry diagram. It even showed how to use the screwdriver for the toolkit to measure the oil in the final drive. Little helpful nuggets like that.

Then I got an R1100RT in '99, one of the so-called oilheads. The owner's manual immediately conveyed a change in BMW's expectations of owner involvement. Yes, it had the usual oil viscosity chart, but nowhere did it mention where any of the drain plugs were, nor did it point out the location of the externally-accessible oil filter. No wiring diagrams or torque chart. The manual was focused on operating the bike, not maintaining it. The new expectation was that the owner would bring it in to the shop and let the technicians do their magic; just leave your credit card number. Personally, I think the motorcycle side of BMW was overly influenced by the auto side and forgot how they earned their reputation.

The other thing was that, when things failed on the road, they now tended to fail catastrophically, beyond the rider's ability to repair at roadside. I'm talking about final drive failures and transmission seizures. Yes, many bikes ran flawlessly for many miles, even 100K's of miles. But their record introduced a worrisome niggling of apprehension -- is my bike gonna crap out on me in the middle of nowhere?

Also, it turned out that the oilheads required, for ideal longevity, that the splines on the input/output shaft between the engine and transmission, be lubricated with a dab of grease every 20k miles. This requires an almost complete teardown of the bike to split the engine and transmission, at a pretty price. And nowhere was this mentioned in any service manuals; it just "came out" in one of the BMW forums as a bit of inside information. A bit of a scandal, that was. And if you didn't do this, you risked shearing the splines off the shaft -- another one of those catastrophic failures.

The final straw involved their miniscule dealer network. When my RT hit 73k miles, the only dealer in my state went under, leaving me with a 15-year old bike approaching middle age mileage-wise, and a full-day, one-way haul to the nearest dealer.

Screw BMW and all their drama. So I bought a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

What's interesting with this is the innovation side. No one can dispute that Can-am is leading on the innovation. They have gone where no-one has gone before - and those that have tried to copy them have never got there product to market (I'm looking at you Honda Neowing). The next most innovative manufacturer is BMW, who's 9th on the list. At the top we've got the Japanese manufacturers turning out bikes that, at best, can be described as evolving from previous years.

As IdahoMtnSpyder pointed out this survey was of the 2008 to 2014. So in that range you have the 2013 models with there heat issues. We all know that was a big muck up by Can-am that really damaged the brands image - but it was something they eventually put right. We all moan about Can-am's customer service but that article says 45% of the work was covered by BRP. On a new Honda I had a gearbox gave up the ghost just after the first service and had a major battle to get it sorted under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I love my Victory Ness Magnum. But I would rather have the new Indian Roadmaster.
    You bought a Magnum and put a trunk and crash bars on it, Joel? Why didn't you buy a Cross Country?
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by Joel The Biker
    I love my Victory Ness Magnum. But I would rather have the new Indian Roadmaster.

BINGO! The ultimate explanation for the withdrawal of the Victory: Customer Preference. If the Powers That Be were able to perceive this market sentiment, then their decision was likely a very wise one.

Someone mentioned the "seemingly overnight success" of the Indian... but, no, it was the prior success of a century-old brand that overwhelmed the Victory, in spite of the Victory's high quality and initial success. IMHO.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Thanks for that. That's all I really ever wanted.

As to my dealer. In the beginning they had an unbelievably qualified tech but, didn't appreciate what they had, and lost him to BMW. The new fellow has a mechanical military(helicopter) background and a few years experience with spyders. It's really hard to say it's anymore the dealers problem than it is the product.
    It really is too bad that you have those issues. If I were you I would get out of that Byke and get me a Victory or Star as they are rated much higher and nary a problem do they have. Seriously, I would not like all the problems you have, if not the dealer, then it must be the Byke.

As for me, 22,245 miles and nothing, except for fuel guage light and compressor replaced at 21k under warranty.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Folks that's a 2 year old survey. Done in 2015. It only has 1 year of the 1330 in it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

BRP problems have not been the motor, but just everything around it. So I have one bike that's #1 and one that's #10, not so bad, but had that figured out years ago.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Folks that's a 2 year old survey. Done in 2015. It only has 1 year of the 1330 in it. Tom
    You're right. I skated right over the bit about being a 2014 survey. This subject was two years ago when the survey came out. It really isn't valid any more.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Validity

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You're right. I skated right over the bit about being a 2014 survey. This subject was two years ago when the survey came out. It really isn't valid any more.
    I beg to disagree.

It is valid - to those years.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I beg to disagree.

It is valid - to those years.
    True, but as a buying guide for today not so much.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Hi IdahoMtnSpyder,

Re: True, but as a buying guide for today not so much.

Some of us bought used Spyders.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But if a buyer is researching in anticipation of the purchase of a new bike: it a worthless survey to them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question Worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But if a buyer is researching in anticipation of the purchase of a new bike: it a worthless survey to them.
    Maybe, maybe not.

I would think that's for the individual to decide.

Not you, or me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I really liked the paint on the Ness Magnum. I didnt have intentions of adding the highway bars and tour pack, but I just cant leave anything stock. Had to make it my own. More storage is always good and the tour pack can be removed in less that 30 seconds.
    Hahaha......thought that might be the case.....the Magnums have some great colour schemes.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My RT has had some problems but all were quickly fixed by my dealer at no cost to me and I love riding my Spyder.

I will say, every Yamaha/Star motorcycle I ever owned (RD400, XS500, VStar 1300T) were absolutely bullet proof, as was the one Suzuki (Boulevard 800).

I've also owned a Kawasaki 125 and a Royal Enfield Military that had more problems than my Spyder.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    True, but as a buying guide for today not so much.
    Oh really? I see problems reported here on new Spyders as well. The horror stories are out there and they are they same stories for the most part. Spyders are complex, I understand that, but if BRP would immediately without question take care of each and every complaint and make sure the dealers had properly trained mechanics, most of the issues would be overlooked. If BRP doesn't take drastic measures (I don't think they will) then the Spyder will be at the bottom of the list when a new survey is taken a few years from now.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder has a die-hard following, which is good because, according to the Consumer Reports study

The rest of the story is here

The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies
    Yamaha is number one. No doubt about it from me. I have owned 3 Yamaha's including the one I currently ride and they have been 100% reliable. When I go on long rides I do not worry about anything whatsoever other than the blind clueless cagers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi wyliec,

Re: Can't always start off at numero uno.

While my memory is not pefect, I do believe that Lexus, after one year of being on the market, was #1 in reliability & customer satisfaction.

PS) Again, I say that if BRP would let the independent mechanics have the parts at the same discount as their dealers, I think we would have less of the JerBer type of experiences. End of rant.
    Lexus is Toyota - it isn't a new company, just new models from a very well established company under a different brand. No question about it, BRP has had issues, but the models keep getting better. The Spyder is just ten years old, and it's new kind of beast.

I would be very curious to see how the new models only compare (2014 forward). I had major issues with my 2010 RT, but my 2014 has been far more reliable with relatively few issues in 41K miles. I imagine that they would continue to rise in reliability.

That said, I strongly agree that they should have a program for independent shops to do warranty work and have full parts access.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Well, I am glad for the information, but like everything on the internet I take it with a dose of salt. I'm on my second Spyder. The first being a premiere edition 08 GS, which other than some heat issues and burning a little oil was trouble free. And, now a 2014 RT with the 1330 engine. That bike, knock on wood, has been trouble free too with almost 35k miles on it so far.

Like was brought up too BMW also had a run of major troubles in those particular survey years too. They now have an all new (since 2013) pretty much everything on the "R" bikes, it would be interesting to see what they've done in terms of QC. That was supposed to be a major point focus on their new models, publicly recognizing their errors, which is very rare in this world of lawyers.

It's also interesting that Kawasaki did as well as it did, since the KLR, their best selling model, had huge mechanical issues in 2008 and 2009. And, continues to have a major design flaw in the engine that has existed it's entire production run and has never been truly addressed.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Arrow Dependability

Same rider/owner.

2011 RT S SE5 with 30K - Numerous problems starting before 5K & we're not talking light bulbs, brakes or tires.

2014 Yamaha FJR with 25K - zero issues

2016 Indian Chieftain with 13K - zero issues

2013 KTM 990 SMT - zero issues - sold

You be the judge.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-24-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Same rider/owner.

2011 RT S SE5 with 30K - Numerous problems starting before 5K & we're not talking light bulbs, brakes or tires.

2014 Yamaha FJR with 25K - zero issues

2016 Indian Chieftain with 13K - zero issues

You be the judge.

I get rid of the RT, and save some money.

Jerbear,

Quick story. Someone on here purchased a 2010 RT new, when first out, and when he had a problem with it, BRP gave him a new one. This person was the guru of Spyders, and very high strung; not sure if one relates to the other. If you want, I'll pass you his screen name; he's not been on in awhile because he got upset with some on here, and I happen to be one of those. He may give you some insight that may help with dealing with BRP to your satisfaction. I believe it was just that BRP had taken notice of him because of his knowledge, and didn't want to piss him off.
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-23-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Coming from you - I get it. Compliment intended.

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I get rid of the RT, and save some money.
    The question really comes down to how much I'm willing to spend protecting the total dollars invested.

It would be a major loss. Even if, it were a stock purchase gone bad. At least there, a guy can have stops in place.

Spyder Garage

The question really comes down to how much I'm willing to spend protecting the total dollars invested.

It would be a major loss. Even if, it were a stock purchase gone bad. At least there, a guy can have stops in place.
    I just added to my original post. I'm sorry, I didn't notice yours.