Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thread to Bed

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    A trip interrupted by a machine failure, whether or not you are "rescued" by AAA, is a trip ruined.
    Not quite ready to "put this thread to bed" (as you requested). I realize you are concerned about your wife getting stranded, alone, in the middle of nowhere. However, instead of looking at that as doom and gloom ... look at it as a new adventure. You see, I disagree that having to be "rescued" ruins a trip. It simply changes the dynamic of the trip, and possibly the route / stops taken ... but it certainly does not ruin it. Who knows, she might break down just minutes from one of our "Spyders to the Rescue" members ..... or the "SpyderCodes" app on her phone could tell her enough to get moving again on her own. You just never know .... I do most of my riding with hubby (him on his Indian and me on the Spyder); neither one of us would hesitate to take either machine a long distance alone. It's just that we prefer to ride together.

How does your wife feel? Is she as worried, or simply aware and willing to be prepared to "handle it?"

Hope you involve your wife in whatever decision you make. If she wants to make the Spyder "her" ride, maybe that frees you to get something for yourself and then the two of you can ride together (I know, finances may not permit that ... just a thought).

Good luck to you, and to your wife .... try not to let fear guide you. Rather, use it to keep you and wife vigilant as you ride.

All the best .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some of the most memorable trips involve a bit of "ingenuity" along the way!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Since this is still live...

Please remember that sites like these usually speak bad vs. good on about a 10/1 ratio. Those with good tales are usually out riding, except for a few of us.

Many have posted about not worrying to much about it. Many have posted success stories (and I am one of them). I drive in a state where it is as remote as it gets. No dealers to pull into for a quick fix. One dealer, and he is five miles from my starting place. The next dealer is 1500 miles away in the Yukon, or in Seattle.

I still drive em, and I like em. Not ready to sell them off yet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 1-1000

keep in mind, for every 1 negative posting, there are 1000 that do not post the fact that they never have a problem...
    i'd say the numbers are on your side.... if you never do it, you'll never know...
    ride it like you stole it....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Well I'm getting ready to embark on a month long trip out west which should cover over 7500 miles. Leaving on July 1 and traveling through Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Nebraska & Kansas. Am I worried? Sure I am. Am I still going? Hell yes. I have a little over 12000 trouble free miles so far on my 2015 RTS and enjoyed every mile. Enjoy life and get out and ride. When **** happens deal with it.
    Your map shows Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas. How could you have missed Louisiana?

Spyder Garage

Question as to if the dealer was the HD Dealership that I purchased the Spyder from. No, he's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He is a HD and BRP dealer, very good dealership, just over 300 miles away to try and get any service done. Did contact BRP and gave them the dealership name and information about my Spyder and what's been going on with it. They did contact the dealer, all the parts where not in yet and BRP told me they had it scheduled to be fixed on Wednesday past after all the parts can in. BRP told me there was nothing they could do about the dealerships service because they are privately owned and operated.
    Picked the Spyder up yesterday, seems to be in working order again, but now the right rear side compartment latch will not operate or open the compartment, so here I go again.

Spyder Garage

Well, the wife and I rode out to diner last night on the Spyder. Guess what now......the parking brake hung up again and wouldn't release. After about 20 minutes of playing around with different things it finally released. This was the same issue that was fixed last fall before the winter. Got the Spyder back home in the garage and parked IT. Leaving for a 2 week vacation, so maybe that will give me time to cool down before going back into the dealer. Going to call them some tine next week to set a appointment for when we return. Hopefully, he will order the part for the brake that way it will be here when I take it in, we'll see. But, they will still have to look at the latch for the side compartment to see what it needs to be fixed. more than likely, I would guess another 2 weeks to get parts in again.

All I can say is, NOT impressed with the Spyder. The wife and I love the ride and handling of the trike, but I'm not sure if I want to keep putting up with these issues, the dealership problems and their network if we would travel anywhere (not sure if I would chance that) or the time it takes to receive the parts from BRP to fix their product.

I'm really thinking about selling the Spyder after these last problems are fixed before any other issues.

Sorry guys, just don't think I want to hassle anymore.