Spyder Garage

Default Splash Pan/s Removal!

I just installed my two Air Scoops on my 2012 RT to help cool the engine. Somebody on here who shall remain nameless, advised me to remove the "Splash Panels" on the underside of the trike to make the scoops even move efficient. I'm willing to do it but I need a little guidance. I was scared to death to cut into the upper side panels for the scoops but with a lot of help it came out fine. So can somebody on here that Has Done the Splash Pan/s removal give me the first right step to do this. The first person that told me about this said that it wouldn't even show from looking at the bike. So anybody willing to take a chance? TIA

Spyder Garage

I can't really answer your question or give any instructions, but I can say that I have a 2013 RT LTD with the new "recall" scoops, and if installed correctly (like the full dealer recall install) they do the job, and corrected the heat problem of the '13s.

So, IMHO, I'd say removing the "splash panels" is a waste of time and worry. My heat gauge hardly gets above the center mark and the glove box does not get hot.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

I removed the left side panel, just for ease of doing my own Oil changes, a couple few push pins and I think only one bolt on the outboard side. Doesn't seem to change much Heat gauge wise, I rode a IBA SS1K on a 90+ degree day July 5th with the longest leg east to west across Iowa on 20 and never got over half on the temp gauge either. My glove box (with out the insulated liner) is cool enough that a chocolate bar didn't melt (though I thought I might).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got rid of mine during the first at home oil change. Went directly in the garbage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    I just installed my two Air Scoops on my 2012 RT to help cool the engine. Somebody on here who shall remain nameless, advised me to remove the "Splash Panels" on the underside of the trike to make the scoops even move efficient. I'm willing to do it but I need a little guidance. I was scared to death to cut into the upper side panels for the scoops but with a lot of help it came out fine. So can somebody on here that Has Done the Splash Pan/s removal give me the first right step to do this. The first person that told me about this said that it wouldn't even show from looking at the bike. So anybody willing to take a chance? TIA
    The first right step,piece of cake,get your Spyder up in the air so you can look comfortably at what it is you are trying to do. You should see a 10mm bolt,remove it. Just go from there. Removing the panel makes oil changes much easier. So go for it, you know you want to

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    I can't really answer your question or give any instructions, but I can say that I have a 2013 RT LTD with the new "recall" scoops, and if installed correctly (like the full dealer recall install) they do the job, and corrected the heat problem of the '13s.

So, IMHO, I'd say removing the "splash panels" is a waste of time and worry. My heat gauge hardly gets above the center mark and the glove box does not get hot.
    I pretty much agree. I had a 2013 RT and took the splash pans off. It helped. But when the heat recall work was done the right side panel was put back on because a new gas vapor filter was attached to it. The left one stayed off, IIRC. So I would say run the bike for a few hundred miles with the pans on. If the air scoops don't totally solve your heat problem then take them off. As mentioned above all that is required is the removal of one or two screws and few push pins.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    Did you remove the acoustic panels when you did the air scoops? If not, you need to remove them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Tomline if you want help Ryde up to my home and I will give you a hand. I have a garage and tools to get it done. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Default If in doubt...

Pull them off drill 11/2" and 2" holes all over and put back. That's what I did and it works just as well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black