Spyder Garage

Default Potential Newbie with questions on basic 2016 RT compared to others

Long explanation but I gave up motorcycles this spring, saw a Spyder, and am seriously considering getting one. I test rode a 2016 RT, and have some questions on it.
    1. I do not like the seating position on it compared to how I can stretch out on others. Do floorboards like the Seal ones really fit it? From the pictures it looks to me like they would not. Are there highway pegs available for it that fit?
    2. Is the RT representative of how other 2016's would handle? I really do not like how twitchy they are at high speed. I went to a dealer and it seemed the RT swayed more than others when I shook it side to side.
    3. If the RT is twitchier than others, would a BajaRon swaybar really make a big difference? Or is there another inexpensive (under $500 including labor) mod that would make as big or bigger difference.

Thank you for all answers.

PS -
    1. I have read the comments about grip. Valid points. I wasn't even going to consider the Spyder until I figured I had to loosen my grip like on a motorcycle. Still seems twitchier than my motorcycles.
    2. I am looking at this RT since it is a great price.
    Last edited by gnorthern; 10-19-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It may be that the front end alignment is off, most new spyders come from the factory toed out. The sway bar does make a big difference on the RT. There are many aftermarket products available, including floorboards and highway pegs. If you want to stretch out try an F3 they are much more adjustable than an RT.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Long explanation but I gave up motorcycles this spring, saw a Spyder, and am seriously considering getting one. I test rode a 2016 RT, and have some questions on it.
    1. I do not like the seating position on it compared to how I can stretch out on others. Do floorboards like the Seal ones really fit it? From the pictures it looks to me like they would not. Are there highway pegs available for it that fit?
    2. Is the RT representative of how other 2016's would handle? I really do not like how twitchy they are at high speed. I went to a dealer and it seemed the RT swayed more than others when I shook it side to side.
    3. If the RT is twitchier than others, would a BajaRon swaybar really make a big difference? Or is there another inexpensive (under $500 including labor) mod that would make as big or bigger difference.

1. The RTS comes with floor boards so you could look into that. Yes the Seal Boards can be fitted to the basic RT and there are Highway pegsa available after market. I would also suggest that you drive the F3T or FL. They have an adjustable ryding position that will put your feet forward lie you are used to.

2. The RT is not "twitchy" you are. When you ryde a Spyder you need to have a very light grip on the bars it will track smooth and true if you do. It is very sensitive to even the slightest input from you. Because of the higher seating position of the RT there is a quite a bit of "body roll". Baja Ron will fix most of that for you.

3. Again you are "twitchy" not the RT. Unless you buy an F3 ( which in my humble opinion doesn't need it ) The Baja Ron Bar is the best bang for your buck you can get! It is an affordable investment in improving your ryde. It will not cure you of your twitchyness, that will come with time and relaxation of your grip on the bars!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default too much to write

gnorthern: I hate to wuss out on this, but there is just too much info needed to answer your question. It is easy to misinterprete something said. If you would like, send me a personal message and I will give you my phone number and we can talk about this. I switched from a Harley to a Spyder RT, and have ridden and F3 enough to have my opinions on both. I'm sure you will get a good many opinions on the forum here, so it is your choice. Good luck.

David VonStein

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

the first time we all rode a spyder, it seemed "twitchy". The actual appropriate term is responsive.
    Guessing 97.2% of us here in the forum, came from a two wheeler.
    Not many can afford one of these as a "first bike".
    You can add all kinds of farkles. Of COURSE Seal boards fit. Of course there are highway pegs, several different styles.
    Until you get a grip on the nuance of ryding a spyder, you might want to keep your feet under you, where they can actually
    make a difference in your handling
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

PS -
    1. I have read the comments about grip. Valid points. I wasn't even going to consider the Spyder until I figured I had to loosen my grip like on a motorcycle. Still seems twitchier than my motorcycles.
    You are feeling the same things I felt when I went from 2 wheels to a Spyder RT in August of this year. My wife could feel it as well as a passenger.
    1. I can't really comment on the floorboards. Mine has the footpegs and probably because I rode Goldwings I'm used to the footpegs. I'd still like floorboards someday but they're really pricey.
    2. Twitchey is definately a good description of what I also felt. Relaxing my grip helped some.
    Putting 21 PSI in the front tires and 27 PSI in the rear tire helped more. Adjusting the front suspension to 5 (the firmest setting) helped more.
    Baja Ron sway bar helped even more but it was still a bit twitchy and I'd ridden 6,000 miles on my spider at this point.
    Last week I had a laser alignment done because I noticed some irregular wear on the right front tire on the inside.
    Twitchy is gone I'm thrilled to say. I may consider dialling the front suspension back to 4 now just to see what it does because 5 is definately firm.

Good luck in your decision. My wife and I love the Spyder and we're putting more miles on it than we did on our 2 wheelers.
    The feeling of safety is awesome and parking lots are now a snap. No more scanning for a parking sport that's easy to exit from.

regards
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

If you have not: Give the Do's and Don'ts thread a good read. Lots of good information there.

Test driving for more than 20 minutes is also suggested. Only you will be able to determine if is for you.

Mostly what I say is already printed above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment?

One of the statements in this thread has me thinking: I'm new to the Spyder - not to riding - and it's definitely twitchy. Great word. Mine is also new, so if it's toed out from the factory I wouldn't know. Where can one get a laser alignment performed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spdmarine View Post
    One of the statements in this thread has me thinking: I'm new to the Spyder - not to riding - and it's definitely twitchy. Great word. Mine is also new, so if it's toed out from the factory I wouldn't know. Where can one get a laser alignment performed?
    Check with Squared Away, they do a great job and have a service date set up in Surprise soon.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Dealers doing laser alignment in Arizona

Here you go:

ARIZONA SPYDER DEALERS

Ride Now Powersports
    Peoria, AZ (623) 412-5100 (ask for Andrew )

Ride Now Ina
    Tucson, Az (520) 579-3939 (ask for Lucas)

Ride Now Tucson
    Tucson, AZ (520) 747-9141 (ask for Robert )

Ride Now Goodyear
    Goodyear, AZ (623) 214-6404 (ask for Cory)

Sierra Cycles
    Sierra Vista, AZ (520) 459-2589 (ask for David)

Ride Now Chandler
    Chandler, AZ (480) 503-3333 (ask for Matt)

Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. The base RT does not have the automatic air adjustment for the rear air shock. As mentioned above the RTS and RT Limited have floorboards. In both cases you can add them to the bike. Otherwise cosmetics such as colors and trim are the only real differences between the base RT and the others, and a GPS is included with the Limited. A Comfort seat can help with the leg stretching out issue as it sits you back about 2". Also the Tri-Axis handlebars help with sitting position. The seat and handlebar are not included on any of the RTs so in that case the base model doesn't short change you.

Oh, and fog lights are standard on the RTS and RTL but are not included with the base RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default PM me if you wish to chat

I'd ridden 2 wheels for 45 years and now a Spyder for 2 years. I'm happy to talk to you over the phone if you desire a fuller conversation around your questions. PM me if you wish to have a call.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Getting the proper or right 'feel' and fit in your seating position is all important. The ergonomics of the RT and F3 designs are completely different. Only way to tell and decide which has the seating position that is better for you is to take a long test ride on both. If you plan on riding two-up, take your passenger and let her/him have a say about choice, after you figure out which seems more comfortable.

Be sure to compare models with equal features. The most balanced or equivalent comparison would be between an RTL and an F3L. Other comparisons require some reconciliation of gains/losses of features. The 2017 F3L, with automatic rear seating adjustment comes closest of all to the RTL; 2016 F3L doesn't have the automatic feature. Don't overlook the comparison of feature details/differences between models. If you do that, you are being unfair to both yourself and the Spyders.

As for feeling 'twitchy', it seems that almost every new ryder feels that way when first aboard; they are sensitive to the road surface. You need some miles and saddle time; that feeling will dissipate with Spyder riding exposure. Many folks say that it takes 600 miles or so to get 'comfortable' with the Spyder's handling, even (and especially) if you have a two wheel background; that was certainly my experience. I and the missus are now up to around 3,000 miles and we love our ryde more and more each time we take it out. We have learned to relax, enjoy what this machine can do, and it is paying us back in fun, fun, fun. Better and better each new day.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PS -
    Hi Gonothern,
    Yes, my Seal Floorboards will fit perfectly, with a very easy installation. I don't believe in paying many thousands mor for things I on't need. It's much less expensive to trick out a base model than pay for stuff you don't need. Feel free to call me (503) 503-7222.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

One thing I left out previously:

Twitchy: Yes, it has to do with "light" touch. Pretend there are eggs between your hands and the handgrips. Don't let them break. A light push/pull when turning. Plant the foot on the "outside" of the turn, grip the tank with knees, and lean slightly into the turn to avoid those extra "g" forces. After you master it, posted curves can be done at plus 20--if your abilities allow. Don't cross centerlines. If you have to hit the brakes in mid-turn, you are going to fast to start with. Best to be able to accelerate about half way in.

Most say there is a learning curve of about 300 to 500 miles. I am a slow learner and took about 1500 miles before I "got it." Came from over 40 years of two wheeling--so had a lot of things to unlearn.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would not automatically assume that the statement that most Spyders come from the factory with alignment issues is anywhere accurate. In my opinion, it is more internet logic than fact. I know of six Spyders that I have regular contact with (two are mine) and none have toe issues. Some Spyders did have issues from the factory but not all. It is easy to do a rough check to see if better assessment is necessary. It is relatively easy to adjust if you have ever done alignment adjustments on anything in the past.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PS -

Most others have chimed in on the issues you perceive with the RT. Count me as +1 on trying an F3. It is customizable to your legs and arms and a heck of of lot of fun to ryde.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    I would not automatically assume that the statement that most Spyders come from the factory with alignment issues is anywhere accurate. In my opinion, it is more internet logic than fact. I know of six Spyders that I have regular contact with (two are mine) and none have toe issues. Some Spyders did have issues from the factory but not all. It is easy to do a rough check to see if better assessment is necessary. It is relatively easy to adjust if you have ever done alignment adjustments on anything in the past.
    That’s not what I hear from various people that do laser alignments tell me. It’s a very low percentage that are correctly set. Plus they set the front wheels to be straight with the rear wheel. (That was how mine was off)
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've owned three Spyders, an '09 RS, '11 RT, and my current '14 RT. I've never had a problem tracking or front tire wear (Maybe that's because I bought the two RT's from Pitbull). I see Squared Away at lots of rally's and they are always busy. I only hear good things about them, but I've just never felt the need for their services, I always buy the base models. It's much easier, and less expensive to upgrade than pay a bundle of $ for things you might not need or want.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

The comments thus far have shredded the bulls-eye. Two things will guarantee an RT-S or RT-Ltd will track like an arrow shot from a crossbow: a well done laser alignment and an aftermarket anti-sway bar. You will appreciate both and, particularly the sway bar, in crosswinds and when riding on the interstates with the semis.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

"Comments have shredded the bulls-eye" is exactly right. Perhaps I missed it but I don't think anyone mentioned tires. Everybody hit the laser alignment and the Baja Ron sway bar. The very first thing I did to my '14 RT. As several have said, the base model is the best buy. You can build it to your likes vice some expensive factory items that don't seem to be useful. And you STILL have to laser align and add the sway bar as a minimum. There are so many things you can do to the basic model and still not pay as much as the fully loaded RT or F3. I think I mentioned really good auto tires. They hold the curves ever so well. Which ones? Searching the forum for that info is fun but it's already here. Best of luck with your choice. RT for touring, F3 for around town fun or short runs.
    Last edited by ricford; 10-26-2017 at 11:12 PM.