Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durango Fires

Spyder Garage

Default Durango Fires

Well on our way back from the Three Wheel Rally in Deadwood we were planning a stay in Durango at the Alpen Rose RV park. (a wonderful place to RV BTW) Looks like fires are increasing around Durango and the Million Dollar Highway has been closed for at least a week. (HWY 550) Starting to plan and consider Plan B.

Plan B would be west to Cody WY, Yellowstone and 191 back to AZ.

Anyone living in Durango or the surrounding area? Maybe you could give us an update on fires and damage already done. I know the Train to Silverton has closed down also.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Yeah its unfortunate as it is such a beautiful part of the country and I loved the BRP owners gathering in Durango.

I will be riding from Deadwood to Jackson, WY to see Grand Teton.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Well on our way back from the Three Wheel Rally in Deadwood we were planning a stay in Durango at the Alpen Rose RV park. (a wonderful place to RV BTW) Looks like fires are increasing around Durango and the Million Dollar Highway has been closed for at least a week. (HWY 550) Starting to plan and consider Plan B.

Anyone living in Durango or the surrounding area? Maybe you could give us an update on fires and damage already done. I know the Train to Silverton has closed down also.

Jack
    I’m heading up that way, I’ll give a report next week.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/. They update fire information daily. The one you're referring must be the 416 Fire.

It's currently more than 23,000 acres in size and only 15% contained. Estimated containment date is July 31! San Juan Forest is closed.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-12-2018 at 08:39 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

i'll have to keep this thread and news from DOT updated. planning a trip to Colorado and riding to Durango and million dollar hwy on 6-27

thanks for the news, any news that its under control would be good news
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    i'll have to keep this thread and news from DOT updated. planning a trip to Colorado and riding to Durango and million dollar hwy on 6-27

thanks for the news, any news that its under control would be good news
    Check the inciweb site every couple of days, and find a local Durango news web site. That'll give you the best info you can get.

A lot can change in the next few weeks. With a projected containment of 7/31 that tells you it's a bad fire, in size or terrain, or both. If it moves north be ready to scrap your plans.

You ever been near a wildfire, especially a big one? It ain't pretty, during or after.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-12-2018 at 09:26 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

i'll be in Manituo Springs 6-24 for 3 nights, so i'll keep up with TV
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to the local paper in Durango. Most of the major news sites actually distribute from there.

https://durangoherald.com/

The fire is bad and US 550 between Durango (just north of Hermosa) to Silverton is indeed closed and not expected to open for public traffic for some time. To clarify a bit, the million dollar highway is still open, that is the section between Silverton and Ouray.

I will be in Durango the end of the month for a week at our cabin and can report on any specifics anyone needs. I also know a number of folks in the area if info is needed before that.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 06-13-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. Let us keep one another informed for the next month as many are planning a visit then.

An alternative routing would be Delores to Telluride if going North and South. Not a bad route. Just not as scenic.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Different kind of Scenic up through Unaweep Tabaguache to Grand Junction

Hwy 145 up through Rico towards Telluride is a different kind on scenic, and you can cut over at Placerville on Hwy 62 to get to Ridgway and on from there. Or if you prefer the desert canyon take Hwy 141 from Placerville up through Uravan to Whitewater and then Grand Junction to hit I-70. Just be sure to watch your gas gauge and there are only a couple of gas stops on that stretch. Very pretty though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

My brother lives in Durango and sent this pic this morning. Normally the hills are crystal clear. He’s also cleaning ash off his car every morning.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Go to https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/. They update fire information daily. The one you're referring must be the 416 Fire.

It's currently more than 23,000 acres in size and only 15% contained. Estimated containment date is July 31! San Juan Forest is closed.
    That's a great resource. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Check the inciweb site every couple of days, and find a local Durango news web site. That'll give you the best info you can get.

A lot can change in the next few weeks. With a projected containment of 7/31 that tells you it's a bad fire, in size or terrain, or both. If it moves north be ready to scrap your plans.

You ever been near a wildfire, especially a big one? It ain't pretty, during or after.
    Yup! Drove through the Yellowstone fire area many, many, years ago. Not pretty. The damage was huge. A year later, most of the area was green again. Now, you would not know it had burned at all. Nature has a way of healing itself...but the damage is always catastrophic.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Jack we stayed at a place on the West end of Cody that had a great RV park, Log Cabins, and a great dinner house that put on a great show for the guest. If you go that route check it out. We will go thru Cody on our way to Deadwood and on the return trip because we love riding the Bear Tooth Pass.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The damage was huge. A year later, most of the area was green again. Now, you would not know it had burned at all. Nature has a way of healing itself...but the damage is always catastrophic.
    Not so with a fire many years ago in the Warren, ID area. The fire was so hot it split rocks and sterilized the soil. Weeds didn't even grow at first. But after about 5 to 10 years pine saplings started to show. Still not much grass in the worst hit parts. Nature does recover, but sometimes it's an awfully slow process.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Not so with a fire many years ago in the Warren, ID area. The fire was so hot it split rocks and sterilized the soil. Weeds didn't even grow at first. But after about 5 to 10 years pine saplings started to show. Still not much grass in the worst hit parts. Nature does recover, but sometimes it's an awfully slow process.

YUP! Some of the mosses in the BWCA (Northern MN) take a couple hundred years to cover the rocks and boulders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have been reading about and trying to keep up on the Colorado fires. This is an area my wife and I loved to ride in. It just leaves a hollow pit in my stomach when I think of it on fire.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have been reading about and trying to keep up on the Colorado fires. This is an area my wife and I loved to ride in. It just leaves a hollow pit in my stomach when I think of it on fire.....
    No need to feel that way. Just look on it as Mother Nature once again proving that in the eternal struggle of man vs. nature, Mother will always win in the end!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Hwy 145 up through Rico towards Telluride is a different kind on scenic, and you can cut over at Placerville on Hwy 62 to get to Ridgway and on from there. Or if you prefer the desert canyon take Hwy 141 from Placerville up through Uravan to Whitewater and then Grand Junction to hit I-70. Just be sure to watch your gas gauge and there are only a couple of gas stops on that stretch. Very pretty though.

I have done this several times in the past for BMW rallies in Grand Junction. There is a great car museum about three quarters of the way

on this route. Sorry I forget the name and small town. You are right, don't pass the chance to gas when you get it. "It is a different kind of

pretty" but it will do and is a good alternate for those diverting around Durango to Ouray. Just heard fire is thirteen miles north of Durango

as of two hours ago. Let us all hope and pray it does not reach town.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Jack we stayed at a place on the West end of Cody that had a great RV park, Log Cabins, and a great dinner house that put on a great show for the guest. If you go that route check it out. We will go thru Cody on our way to Deadwood and on the return trip because we love riding the Bear Tooth Pass.
    Make that a Me Too! I flew with a fellow for years who has three ranches just north of Cody in Red Lodge, Luther, and Fish Tail. Been over

Bear Tooth many times. It was closed a lot when we were there in early June due to heavy rain and rock slides. We were at an RV park just

south of Red Lodge. It was cold, raining and we did a lot of Rock dodging.

Will check your place out. Can you give me a name? We usually stay on the East side of Cody coming in from Sheraton and

Sturges/Deadwood.

Of course nothing in the world compares to the Cody Museum. Best historic Gun Museum and Wild Bill Cody Museum there is. Don't miss it.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Durango fire made NBC news tonight, may have made evening news before, but may have missed it. I will watch news when i'm in Manitou Springs and the inciweb. then I will decide if I can go thru Durango on 6-27 on my way to Grand Junction. others have posted more northern route as well as I have looked at map.

Spyder Garage

Fire is now reported just 13 miles north of Durango.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Car museum is at Gateway, CO like you say

Yes we made a quick stop at the car museum in Gateway. Quite the collection of really slick classics with various theme periods.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was from my friend's house a couple of days ago. They live south of the city of Durango.
    34847123_1884411704931980_4718699960445435904_o.jpg

The Gateway Car Museum is owned by the guy who also owns the Discovery Channel. It's a neat place but that road (141) is high speed sweeper fun all the way from Grand Junction to Naturia. Sparsely patrolled, few traffic, just watch out for free ranging cattle.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

From Naturia south to Dove Creek is pretty boring. Wife and I rode that last year and in 80 miles we saw maybe 5 cars. Some areas had pretty good chuck holes. But our less than great experience was probably caused by the thunder storm we were trying to out run.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi