Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Well I picked up my Spyder this morning from the Dealer 2-13-18. Here is the Dealer comments as written on the work order. No codes stored in (BUDS). But we and BRP have seen this before, BRPS recommendation is to change out the DESS MODULE. If it comes back, then replace the DESS ANTENNA. So the DESS MODULE was replaced, and both my keys were reprogrammed. This was accomplished under extended warranty and with no charges to me. I'm a happy camper and hope that this takes care of my DESS issue.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    Well I picked up my Spyder this morning from the Dealer 2-13-18. Here is the Dealer comments as written on the work order. No codes stored in (BUDS). But we and BRP have seen this before, BRPS recommendation is to change out the DESS MODULE. If it comes back, then replace the DESS ANTENNA. So the DESS MODULE was replaced, and both my keys were reprogrammed. This was accomplished under extended warranty and with no charges to me. I'm a happy camper and hope that this takes care of my DESS issue.
    Cheers
    The 2nd time my dealership replaced the DESS MODULE, Ignition Switch, Reprogramed the Keys, Changed the trunk lock/and gave me a new trailer lock (On Aug. 28, 2015). The above work was done @ 8,740 miles, and since then I have not had the DESS Key code show up on the screen. My current mileage is 22,000. Also, I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

The first time (on July 14,2015) my dealership replaced only the DESS MODULE.

I hope you don't get the DESS issue. Good Luck!

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:09 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am guessing go with the cheaper repair first then the harder more expensive repair next if the module doesn't work out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    The 2nd time my dealership replaced the DESS MODULE, Ignition Switch, Reprogramed the Keys, Changed the trunk lock/and gave me a new trailer lock (On Aug. 28, 2015). The above work was done @ 8,740 miles, and since then I have not had the DESS Key code show up on the screen. My current mileage is 22,000. Also, I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

The first time (on July 14,2015) my dealership replaced only the DESS MODULE.

I hope you don't get the DESS issue. Good Luck!

Deanna
    Thanks Deanna, I had 18,803 miles on mine when the DESS MODULE was replaced. I also hope you do not get another DESS issue as well.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

anyone close to nw illinois that can deactivate.?-- irv toms
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Thanks Deanna, I had 18,803 miles on mine when the DESS MODULE was replaced. I also hope you do not get another DESS issue as well.
    Cheers
    A1A, I hope I don't get another DESS issue either. If I do I'll post on this Thread ( which I started in July of 2015), If I do I know it is covered under the B.E.S.T Warranty.

Good Luck!

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

That DESS "antenna" they are speaking of is part of the ignition switch on a 2014. So the ignition switch is what they will replace.

AJ

Well I picked up my Spyder this morning from the Dealer 2-13-18. Here is the Dealer comments as written on the work order. No codes stored in (BUDS). But we and BRP have seen this before, BRPS recommendation is to change out the DESS MODULE. If it comes back , then replace the DESS ANTENNA. So the DESS MODULE was replaced and both my keys were reprogrammed. This was accomplished under extended warranty and with no charges to me. I'm a happy camper and hope that this takes care of my DESS issue.
    Cheers

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    That DESS "antenna" they are speaking of is part of the ignition switch on a 2014. So the ignition switch is what they will replace.

AJ
    AJ, Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Bump

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Bump.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well I picked up my Spyder this morning from the Dealer 2-13-18. Here is the Dealer comments as written on the work order. No codes stored in (BUDS). But we and BRP have seen this before, BRPS recommendation is to change out the DESS MODULE. If it comes back , then replace the DESS ANTENNA. So the DESS MODULE was replaced and both my keys were reprogrammed. This was accomplished under extended warranty and with no charges to me. I'm a happy camper and hope that this takes care of my DESS issue.
    Cheers
    I've had my DESS module replaced .... by real BRP Tech's ...... they told me the keys have nothing to do with the DESS module ..... and they didn't do mine .......... So either your dealer isn't as up on this as they think they are, or they just did it anyway for some unknown reason ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I placed an order today for a DESS Module #710004916 with Cheap Motorcycle Parts. I am to have it next week sometime. I will switch it out myself. I have a 2015 Spyder RT and have had it little over 10 months and have put over 10,000 miles on it. It now has 20,700 miles on it. I have had DESS Key orange screen about 4 times, once last September and about two weeks ago and all I have ever had to do is remove the key and put it back. I was not much worried about it until BLUEKNIGHT911 tells me I am going to be stranded. I sure hope this is all I need. I only have one key so as soon as I get the module changed I have a blank key and will have it cut and someone program it for me.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

My buddy had a 2018 out for the weekend to test drive... guess what? it went back on a tow truck! 772 km on it, parked it overnight at a resort we were all staying at (20 some bikes) and the next morning CHECK KEY error.... needless to say he was spun off into a new dimension of pissed off, especially when the Honda guys, the Kawi guy (that's me) and the Harley guys were all able to finish our ride and his tester messed in the bed. In the very short future I will be offering (for a reasonable price) DESS deactivation to any and all that never want to experience this stupid UNFIXED engineering flaw; this deactivation will be good for all BRP products..... I'm an automotive Red Seal GM Grand Master Technician with SET (specialized electrical training/certification) so I'm pretty sure if I couldn't get it running nobody could... I even tried a redundant ground ESD/EMI drain wire to the casing of the ignition switch housing in case there was a static charge in the pickup coil all to no avail.

I do A LOT of work on local Spyders... I'm in no way shape or form crapping on them... I'm just pointing out the cold hard obvious truth... they're actually a great bike except for this potentially hazardous flaw. Imagine getting caught somewhere on your Spyder or quad and extreme weather is barrelling down on you, and you're not prepared for it or there's some other life-threatening situation rapidly deteriorating (like an angry bear hot on your heels) and you hop on your ride only to experience CHECK KEY.... funny that my bikes don't have any security like this, so I put on a simple $30 security systems and it is just as effective or actually even more effective than the DESS as my bike starts to scream bloody murder if you so much as look at it wrong and my security system cuts out the fuel injectors and spark; whereas a set of side cutters and your Spyder is quietly being pushed into a trailer and carted away even with DESS working. BRP REALLY needs to do as Ducati, Harley, and Indian do and provide a means for a quick PIN code input and you're up and running (but I guess that would take away from the thousands of dollars of so-called fixes they get to sell you outside of warranty) or give you the option as it's your property to damn well deactivate it!

Another one of my Spyder customers just spent $4500 getting this "fixed" on his Spyder that was 28 days outside of warranty, and guess what, he called up the other day saying he had the key error AGAIN (he had the DESS module, the ignition switch, and the cluster replaced by a dealer I've never dealt with in a different province). I know two Spyder owners who are now getting so fed up with this situation and water intrusion issues in fuse boxes etc. etc... that they are actively looking for really nice used GL1800 Goldwings and will be having me install the Sturgis R18 kit on them.... The dealer they bought their spyders from is AWESOME, FLAT OUT AWESOME, but BRP corporate are a bunch of arrogant jerks at best (well that's been our experience) .... end rant!

One last word of advice is if you experience the CHECK KEY error IT WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED at some point.... the fiddling with the key, rapid ignition cycling, removing the ground for a period of time etc etc is all snake oil remedies and placebo effect... if your bike starts after one of those it's pure coincidence... we worked on this Spyder for well over an hour and tried everything short of sprinkling holy water on it and it still left on a flat deck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
    My buddy had a 2018 out for the weekend to test drive... guess what? it went back on a tow truck! 772 km on it, parked it overnight at a resort we were all staying at (20 some bikes) and the next morning CHECK KEY error.... needless to say he was spun off into a new dimension of pissed off, especially when the Honda guys, the Kawi guy (that's me) and the Harley guys were all able to finish our ride and his tester messed in the bed. In the very short future I will be offering (for a reasonable price) DESS deactivation to any and all that never want to experience this stupid UNFIXED engineering flaw; this deactivation will be good for all BRP products..... I'm an automotive Red Seal GM Grand Master Technician with SET (specialized electrical training/certification) so I'm pretty sure if I couldn't get it running nobody could... I even tried a redundant ground ESD/EMI drain wire to the casing of the ignition switch housing in case there was a static charge in the pickup coil all to no avail.

I do A LOT of work on local Spyders... I'm in no way shape or form crapping on them... I'm just pointing out the cold hard obvious truth... they're actually a great bike except for this potentially hazardous flaw. Imagine getting caught somewhere on your Spyder or quad and extreme weather is barrelling down on you, and you're not prepared for it or there's some other life-threatening situation rapidly deteriorating (like an angry bear hot on your heels) and you hop on your ride only to experience CHECK KEY.... funny that my bikes don't have any security like this, so I put on a simple $30 security systems and it is just as effective or actually even more effective than the DESS as my bike starts to scream bloody murder if you so much as look at it wrong and my security system cuts out the fuel injectors and spark; whereas a set of side cutters and your Spyder is quietly being pushed into a trailer and carted away even with DESS working. BRP REALLY needs to do as Ducati, Harley, and Indian do and provide a means for a quick PIN code input and you're up and running (but I guess that would take away from the thousands of dollars of so-called fixes they get to sell you outside of warranty) or give you the option as it's your property to damn well deactivate it!

Another one of my Spyder customers just spent $4500 getting this "fixed" on his Spyder that was 28 days outside of warranty, and guess what, he called up the other day saying he had the key error AGAIN (he had the DESS module, the ignition switch, and the cluster replaced by a dealer I've never dealt with in a different province). I know two Spyder owners who are now getting so fed up with this situation and water intrusion issues in fuse boxes etc. etc... that they are actively looking for really nice used GL1800 Goldwings and will be having me install the Sturgis R18 kit on them.... The dealer they bought their spyders from is AWESOME, FLAT OUT AWESOME, but BRP corporate are a bunch of arrogant jerks at best (well that's been our experience) .... end rant!

One last word of advice is if you experience the CHECK KEY error IT WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED at some point.... the fiddling with the key, rapid ignition cycling, removing the ground for a period of time etc etc is all snake oil remedies and placebo effect... if your bike starts after one of those it's pure coincidence... we worked on this Spyder for well over an hour and tried everything short of sprinkling holy water on it and it still left on a flat deck.
    Did one of your spyder customers (the one who spent $4500 getting it "Fixed") try going thru BRP's warranty? It is meant to be UNDER WARRANTY - have your spyder customer OPEN UP A CASE WITH BRP.

I have a 2014RTS-SE-6 and have had the D.E.S.S Module/switch, & keys reprogramed in 2015. Since then, I have not had the D.E.S.S. error show up, and I have 22,300 miles on the bike. See the beginning of this thread for more info.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:25 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Did one of your spyder customers (the one who spent $4500 getting it "Fixed") try going thru BRP's warranty? It is meant to be UNDER WARRANTY - have your spyder customer OPEN UP A CASE WITH BRP.

I have a 2014RTS-SE-6 and have had the D.E.S.S Module/switch, & keys reprogramed in 2015. Since then, I have not had the D.E.S.S. error show up, and I have 22,300 miles on the bike. See the beginning of this thread for more info.

Deanna

As far as I know, warranty was denied because he's outside of warranty and all parts replaced. Looks like you're one of the lucky FEW where a plethora of parts thrown at it did the trick... As far as I'm concerned and from what my research has shown, it's a system that should be deactivated, because if the 2018's are already failing there's little hope that BRP has actually fixed anything. Nonetheless, I'll be deactivating the DESS on every Spyder I work on, as they're already lined up to get the permanent and only fix that actually works for all BRP products.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
    As far as I know, warranty was denied because he's outside of warranty and all parts replaced. Looks like you're one of the lucky FEW where a plethora of parts thrown at it did the trick... As far as I'm concerned and from what my research has shown, it's a system that should be deactivated, because if the 2018's are already failing there's little hope that BRP has actually fixed anything. Nonetheless, I'll be deactivating the DESS on every Spyder I work on, as they're already lined up to get the permanent and only fix that actually works for all BRP products.
    Did your customer (the one who spent $$$) try the B.E.S.T warranty?

Was the manufacturer's warranty denied?

I'll post on this thread if I get the D.E.S.S error again.

Yes, I guess I am one of the FEW where a plethora of parts thrown at it did the trick. I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:34 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've had my DESS module replaced .... by real BRP Tech's ...... they told me the keys have nothing to do with the DESS module ..... and they didn't do mine .......... So either your dealer isn't as up on this as they think they are, or they just did it anyway for some unknown reason ...... Mike

Hello again... I'm not sure what they meant but the key has the excited transponder chip inside that's part, parcel, and an integral part of the DESS system... If you cut a regular key blank, or the top breaks off your key, without that transponder chip, the DESS system cannot read the encrypted security code, therefore it won't crank...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:21 PM.