Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RF interference from USB power ports

I have added two USB power ports to supply power to two cameras and they are getting power from battery through a FZ-1. The USB's are causing RF interference.
    It was suggested to me that I put a 25 ohm 5 watt resistor on the positive side. Local Radio Shack is going out of business and does not stock. Anyone know where to get this resistor?
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

You should try a RF Ferrite Snap Choke.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I have no idea what he's talking about, but I'd bet real money he's right.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a left handed smoke shifter.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Two for $5.99. The magnets eliminate the excessive static that cause the RF interference noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevedfive; 04-07-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default Rf choke

They look like one of these available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Movable-Inner-...words=rf+choke

Hope you can follow the link.

Order one for each cable to fit the diameter of the cable.

Spyder Garage

Default Parts Express

Parts Express has been my go to store for audio / video / cabling for years.
    Here is your part.
    http://www.parts-express.com/25-ohm-...erance--015-25
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Mouser electronics

www.mouser.com

Now I will add. You don't really say what is getting interference? The cameras?
    If so and the 12V run is long (like from front of the Spyder to the back), then chokes or a resistor may not help. You might have to use shielded cable and ground the shielding at both ends as the wire is acting like an antenna.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-08-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Two for $5.99. The magnets eliminate the excessive static that cause the RF interference noise.
    Is that what those things are on some cables. Always learning.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Is that what those things are on some cables. Always learning.
    Yep. Ferrite inductors have been a standard way of shielding for years.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

What system is being affeted by the RF noise?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. It is nice knowing there are some electrical savy spyderriders around.

I get the radio static whenever I plug into the rear usb power plug to get power to the rear camera. The usb plug has several feet of +wire and -wire. The Garmin Virb camera works fine.

Should I use both the magnets and the resistor?
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It may be the quality of the USB cables you are using. I'd try another mfg of cable if you're getting interference from the factory jacks.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sscheuer47 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It is nice knowing there are some electrical savy spyderriders around.

I get the radio static whenever I plug into the rear usb power plug to get power to the rear camera. The usb plug has several feet of +wire and -wire. The Garmin Virb camera works fine.

Should I use both the magnets and the resistor?
    Are you plugging a USB power adapter into the 12 volt outlet in the trunk? If not, what are the + and - wires connected to? USB adapters emit RF noise if they are not made properly. Your best bet may be to try different USB adapters until you find one that doesn't emit so much RF noise. Also, keep the USB adapters and cables away from the antenna as far as possible. I ran into that problem when I was conjuring up a USB power supply for my tablet GPS. The first one connected directly to the power leads coming from the radio. That fed RF noise right into the radio. I ended up with a USB adapter in the area just above the coolant bottle and run the USB cable to the dash.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

To be clear, the magnets are attached to the radio antenna wire? Is that correct? Perhaps adding to the USB cable also will help?

I am using a 'Panel Tapp' Usb power port located below the left passenger hand rail. The power and ground wires run to a FZ1 located front left of bike. The Usb cable runs along the rear seatback up to the camera located on top of the truck lid.

I replaced the OEM antenna with a hidden antenna located inside the rear panel just below the rear truck handle opener.

Good reception on radio until camera USB cable is plugged in providing power to the camera, then some static with lower volume. No problrms with camera.
    Last edited by sscheuer47; 04-09-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who have responded.

Some quick research on 'RF Ferrite Snap Choke' shows that not only the size of the hole for the cable but also there are three types.

Have seen these on computer type cables.

Question: Would the same type be used for the power cable, USB cable as well as the radio antenna cable on the RT?

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

Chokes and resistors ordered from above recommended sites. Also ordered a PDM60. All work will have to wait until after we get back from Spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

A lot of the USB and other power supplies use what is called a 'chopper' circuit to take the 12vdc down to 5vdc. They call it a chopper because it chops out parts of the 12vdc, and reassembles it to make the 5vdc (trust me). They work well, but some can put our RF interference like you are seeing. The resister simply adds 'load' to the circuit thus dampening the chop. Somewhat.

The 'magnets' you are talking about are not really magnets. They are ferrite cores (aka chokes). They come in snap on versions and doughnut type. If you are trying to suppress RF noise, you would put these on anything EXCEPT the antenna! The antenna WANTS to receive RF. You can put them on the USB cable, on 12vdc wires, etc. The ferrite cores act like high frequency absorbers.

There's another old trick we used in broadcast and that was to tie knots in wires when we couldn't get our hands on the ferrite cores right away.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am getting Radio interference on My Spyder Radio when I apply apply the brake otherwise it's fine
    I have the HMT brake light fitted and the front fender LED's which are both running lights and function as an extra brake lights
    what do I need to do/fit to stop this happenig
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

When you say radio interference, do you mean it is interfering with radio station reception? Or some form of noise coming out of the speakers?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sscheuer47 View Post
    I have added two USB power ports to supply power to two cameras and they are getting power from battery through a FZ-1. The USB's are causing RF interference.
    It was suggested to me that I put a 25 ohm 5 watt resistor on the positive side. Local Radio Shack is going out of business and does not stock. Anyone know where to get this resistor?

There is a hiss noise and reception is lost until the brake is released
    seems to do this with the brake pedal
    just tried the same by applying the parking brake using the switch no interference
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    There is a hiss noise and reception is lost until the brake is released
    seems to do this with the brake pedal
    just tried the same by applying the parking brake using the switch no interference
    Parking break does not turn on the break lights.

I would unscrew the right rear speaker box and check the radio antenna ground strap and connection.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Parking break does not turn on the break lights.

I would unscrew the right rear speaker box and check the radio antenna ground strap and connection.

Bob
    Bob

Have done this and all connections look ok and are tight

See Picture

Is anything I could connect in line with Aerial which would block the interference but allow all Radio Stations to work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Spyder Garage

Did you also check that the antenna plugs are mated at the radio?
    Pull the cover off over the radio and there is a standard type antenna plug set in there. Pull it apart and clean it inside.
    There was a water intrusion fix (service bulletin) a while back that the dealer should have done. It puts heat shrink around that antenna connector so no water gets in it and keeps it from coming loose due to vibration.

Other than that I am stumped. Only thing I can think of is some ground issue for the radio.......

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You might have to use shielded cable and ground the shielding at both ends as the wire is acting like an antenna.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

If you ground both ends of a shielded cable you create a current loop and that is not good. You only ground one end of a shielded cable so it drains. I've been working with analog signal cables (twisted pair shielded) for years and every time someone has a signal problem I find that they have grounded the shield on both ends.

JT