Spyder Garage

Default Pakit Rak and the RTS

Well, I have never been a big fan of trailers, but I do like the extra room so I have always used a pakit rak on my wings, vision, and now on my RTS. I bought the BRP hitch, removed the ball, and had a receiver welded to the hitch and ta da.. Now have my pakit rak working on the RTS. It was a good day....lol

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

i am guess this is the thing he is talking about

http://www.pakitrak.com/index.php?di...w&product_id=6

Spyder Garage

Default Okay ... But ...

Indeed, this sure beats the price of a $4K trailer, but then what does it do to the rear-end stability of the Spyder? Does it conceal your tail lights/turn signals?

I went to the site and it was the same picture... on the back of a Wing. Then I saw a link to "Honda Trike." I clicked it. It brought up a picture of a Harley Tri-Glide. So the company doesn't know the difference between a Honda and a Harley? That said, I'm concerned the height of this thing would block (at least mostly) visibility to the RT's tail lights and turn signals for followers at "bike height" and lower-riding cars.

Ya gotta post some pictures of it ... not on a Wing ... but on a Spyder RT, bro.

~ Surfer
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 04-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I forgot the pictures. I am not an engeneer....(LOL) but I have used this rack since 2004 on several bikes. No problems with handling and it does not block the tail lights or blinkers (or would not have used it). I am sure this is not for all but it works very well for me. The BRP hitch is rated at 35 lbs and the packit rack is rated for the same so weight is not an issue. The second picture was taken from the rear on my knees with a slight slope to the driveway.

Willy
    Last edited by billythekidd; 04-10-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Can you post a picture of how you modified the hitch. I'm planning on doing the same thing with my pakit Rak whenever my Red RTS SE5 arrives.

Spyder Garage

Sure, I will take a picture. But in the mean time, I had the adapter from the Pakit Rak folks for the Goldwing and the Bushtech vertical mount. I removed the ball from the BRP hitch and had my local trailer company weld the the adapter right on the top of the hitch where the ball would be.

Willy

Spyder Garage

I am sure this has been discussed many times, but.... What is the best way to remove the hitch when not in use as I am not fond of the way it looks with nothing on it. Does one take it completely off or just remove the 4 bolts holding the rear of the hitch to the section that mounts to the Spyder?

Thanks

Willy

Spyder Garage

Default A Question about the hitch

Will the hitch that BillyTheKid is talking about fit on a 2008 SE 5? Seeing the photos of his modified Pack It configuration, I thought about racks that are commonly seen on the backs of automobiles with coolers and other things on them. If one knew a good welder, a rack could be made to any specification. I know a fella up in TN who makes all kinds of things for people, needing only a drawing with measurements. Not worth driving 400+ from FL to TN.

Spyder Garage

Default Photo

Love that "...without pichers" photo!

Spyder Garage

!!!! There are a number of terrific trailers on E-bay for under $2K, delivered to your home. I couldn't justify BRP's price, given the number of annual uses.. JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

If I can use this PAKIT RAK on my 2008 SE 5, and when I am comfortable driving highway speeds, I definitely see an overnight or longer ride in the future. Does anyone know if my 2008 will accept the hitch mentioned in earlier posts?

Spyder Garage

I don't know, but when I called the dealer to see if they had one to touch, they asked me if I had an RS or and RT.

Here is something I found on the site... read down a bit to NancysToy response. Since you wouldn't actually be towing a trailer, and it is an 08 the warranty stuff might not be relevant.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25223

Willy
    Last edited by billythekidd; 04-10-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

not mine but this was pretty cool, from Inspector Gadget.

Spyder Garage

Here are the pictures of the hitch that were requested.

Willy

Spyder Garage

Looks good, This is a great idea as I already have the PackitRak as well from my Goldwing.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Sorry, I forgot the pictures. I am not an engeneer....(LOL) but I have used this rack since 2004 on several bikes. No problems with handling and it does not block the tail lights or blinkers (or would not have used it). I am sure this is not for all but it works very well for me. The BRP hitch is rated at 35 lbs and the packit rack is rated for the same so weight is not an issue. The second picture was taken from the rear on my knees with a slight slope to the driveway.

Willy

That is brilliant. Time to order a hitch...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

With this mod....could you then use a receiver hitch w/ball when pulling a trailer?

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gunns View Post
    With this mod....could you then use a receiver hitch w/ball when pulling a trailer?

I guess you could providing you make sure the receiver attachment was rated to tow a trailer. The one in the pictures is NOT. It is made specifically for the Pakit Rak.

willy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rivco 11"Hitch Rack

This is an alternative to the Pakit Rack. The receiver mounts beneath the trailer hitch ball and the rack slips in and out easily when needed. If we are just going on a short overnighter we attach the rack to the trailer hitch and strap an overnight bag to the rack. When we go on longer trips we bring the rack along in the trailer just in case we want to go somewhere and don't want to haul the trailer. I find the rack handy for carrying small stuff when we are out and about. Definitely not as awesome as a Pakit Rack, but it fits easily on our existing trailer hitch and does the job it was intended for.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sprung vs unsprung ?

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Well, I have never been a big fan of trailers, but I do like the extra room so I have always used a pakit rak on my wings, vision, and now on my RTS. I bought the BRP hitch, removed the ball, and had a receiver welded to the hitch and ta da.. Now have my pakit rak working on the RTS. It was a good day....lol

Willy
    Anything bolted to the Spyder trailer hitch would be unsprung weight. Sprung weight moves with the frame of the vehicle...nice and smooth. Unsprung rides with the suspension moving up and down when the rear axle moves up and down. It also would effect the handling and performance of your suspension. A very small amount of weight might not effect things much but it makes me wonder how safe it would be, especially hitting rough roads at hissy speed. Has anyone actually used anything like it?
    furthermore think about something projecting 2-3 feet behind you. At the original location of the hitch, the suspension moves up and down lets sat 2" on a bump. Projected movement 2-3 feet back could be 8-10" up and down. That 40 pounds just became 80 pounds of downward force. Not good.
    Last edited by Michael82009; 05-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway — it's an attitude. ~Author Unknown