Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also a Enabled ryder. I lost my left leg above the knee 16 years ago. Purchased my first Spyder last month- an 2012 RT Limited!

Spyder Garage

A brain tumor and loss of right inner ear cost me my balance and my two wheel riding days were behind me. Speed forward and a 2012 RT Spyder has got me back on the road.
    Just had a new knee installed, which with my balance issues makes walking difficult, but my Spyder gets me around just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Lost my left leg

I are a disabled Spyder Ryder. Lost my left leg in a motorcycle accident March 2016. Since I still have my right leg, I do pretty well on my Spyder rt with the electric shift. The only mod I've made is I added a luggage rack for carrying my wheelchair. Now that I'm using my prosthesis I'm carrying my crutches on the rack instead of my chair.

For those interested in the chair I use...
    $129 at amazon. Weighs about 20 pounds. Holds 250 pounds. Folds in from 4 corners like a camp chair. I recommend removing the leg supports.

IMG_0078.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...chair+in+a+bag

Spyder Garage

Default T-12 para

Hi all. Just got myself a 2013 ST SE5 Ltd. Have just completed putting in the ISCI hand brake mod. That went pretty smoothly. Just some bleeding issues, but got that resolved pretty quickly. Next step is to have a holder manufactured to hold my wheelchair on the back of the bike. I will be using a rigid frame chair, so the wheels will be left on the chair. The chair will be lifted manually onto the bike. It will be situated facing the rear of the bike. The footrest of the chair will essentially be sitting on the fender (on a modification) and the chair's axle will be used to clamp to the other modification that will be attached to the already existing back rest. The majority of the chair's weight will be here. Looking forward to getting this completed and getting out on the road.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    When I saw the RS SE5 I knew my life would change. My first Spyder was an '09 RS SE5. I loved the possibilities it offered but needed to modify the seating position . My shoulders and neck wouldn't take the "crotch rocket" seating position and the pegs were too far to the rear to sit up straight enough. As a life-long professional sculptor, it was a natural thing to design the first Seal Floorboard and bring my feet forward and sit up straight. Next came the handle bar risers and a taller windshield. Getting on and off became a snap and the length of my Seals allowed me a huge range of motion. If not for the change in seating position, I wouldn't be riding today. Bad shoulders,bad knees and serious balance issues have all been dealt with now and I can ride in comfort and feel the freedom that comes with riding a Spyder. I have pictures of my '09 and later RT SE5's. I always buy the base model and trick it out to fit MY NEEDS. Have a great Holiday, and check out the Christmas savings I have going on.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Default new rider, toms river nj here, f3-T

Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    toms river here, muscle dystr. getting the handbrake!!

Spyder Garage

Default My F3S kept me in the saddle

I was involved in a multi motorcycle accident in 2012. My husband got me back on 2 wheels, but it was physically draining & painful. So, we tried a trike kit. That lasted about a year. It felt tippy, difficult to steer & ate tires & bearings.

When I started to think my life in the saddle was over, a friend mentioned the Spyder his wife owned. Up until then, I had completely forgotten about Spyders, even though I fell in "love at first bite" when I saw them for the first time at Laconia Bike Week in 2008.

I went to demo days, test rode several RT models of various years. Had my heart set on a beautiful white RT Ltd & the day I went to sign on the dotted line, my husband, who has never rode a Spyder, jokingly said, "Look at those 2 silver F3S. His & hers!"

Here was his chance to ride a Spyder. My dealer got the paperwork in order so we could test ride the 2 F3S. Mine was the SE6 & his was the standard shift. I gave him the tutorial with my dealer on how to start & operate the machine & we were off.

He loved it! However, he is not ready to make the transfer from 2 to 3. And, this was my first ride on any of the F3 series Spyders.

I bought it that afternoon.

I have never felt so comfortable riding as I do on my Spyder.

Due to my limited mobility issues, I no longer worry about dumping my bike, putting my foot down or the constant pain I felt in my back riding a 2 wheeler.

I got my love for riding back!!!

To date, I have not had to modify my Spyder for my limited mobility. I do forsee in the future having to add risers for my handle bars & possibly a drivers back rest to help my back on long trips, but for the time being, I'm doing alright.

I am thankful every day I get to enjoy quality time in the saddle.

Thank you BRP for giving us, who live life to the fullest, but have our own unique challenges back our freedom of the open road.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TO NEWBIE ....T-MAC

.....& ..... ..... I have a Utopia back rest and it is a Back saver ...... and your dealer should have let try all the various handle-bar set-ups that are offered for the F-3..... I recommend you go back soon and trade yours in for one that works best for you .....while the original one is still new ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

T-4 Paraplegic here from a previous motorcycle accident in 2007. I modified my Spyder and love riding it!

Spyder Garage

Default I just got my F3 modified for me to ride.

This is the first bike I’ve rode since losing my arms. Hoping to do Route 66 this summer if all goes as planned.
    Last edited by Capthook74; 02-09-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Left stuff out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capthook74 View Post
    This is the first bike I’ve rode since losing my arms. Hoping to do Route 66 this summer if all goes as planned.
    That sounds like a great plan. Route 66 is one thing on my bucket list to do. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Let us know how it goes. Happy trails and ride safe.

Spyder Garage

Default Just got my f3 modified

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H1956 View Post
    That sounds like a great plan. Route 66 is one thing on my bucket list to do. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Let us know how it goes. Happy trails and ride safe.
    Thank you I can’t wait...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frozenracoon View Post
    my wife and i went to the dealership again today to further check out the RT-S in more detail. after reading the posts on this site and checking many of the pics, i also felt the best place for the walker would be at the rear of the machine. there is a company out there that offers a platform frame for a cooler which attaches to a trailer hitch ala goldwings. i believe in the form of a "slide in hitch receptacle".
    a few years ago a friend used this product to carry his golf clubs. with a little modification this would be the way to go for me.

the salesman also suggested i not use the trunk or front cargo area for the sticks, instead securing them like you would fishing rods along the sides near the rear hand grips with the handle held in place with rubber friction hooks. that way i won't need to shlep my awkward support crutches along. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF ADDING AN AFTERMARKET (oops, sorry) or custom topcase rack. i carried my canes that way on my goldwings and ST1100'S in that manner.

i've noted many additions and mods may of you have made and hope to add some of them to our spyder as well. eg...handbrake, floor boards, hiway pegs (maybe) and a driver backrest to begin.

for those spyder ryders in toronto and gta, there is apparently test ride day at ontario place in a couple of weeks. sue and i plan to attend. perhaps we'll get to meet some of you folks.

cheers all

rob....NEVER give up!!
    I purchased a rack chrome that I had on the gold wing on ebay works great, only issue is the flimsy top when you close the lid you have to push the end tabs in just a hair

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Handicrap driver.

Great bike, I have Parkinson predominant on left side. No problem driving bike at this time

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi all,
    I had Gillian Barre when I was 35 and was totally, 100% paralyzed for many months. My motor skills never completely returned and I have balance and walking issues. My brain doesn't really know where my body is and I will fall down in a dark room. I thought a motorcycle would be impossible I saw a 2008 GS. Talk about Life Changing... Wow! I got my first motorcycle endorsement at age 65, much to the dismay of all my friends and wife. I have had 3 Spyder's now and love every minute on it.
    ride in comfort, all
    John

Spyder Garage

Default Reporting in

After lurking around here (seems like forever) I thought I'd say hello!. I'm from the Houston area and have CP and a chair user, I finally pulled the trigger and got the 2017 F3-S Daytona. The handbrake will be shipped out Monday and a mount for my chair hopefully in about two weeks.

Spyder Garage

Mate never handicapped .. I've just got some parts rebuilt and one part missing ... Otherwise life is good, life is gold ! .... So hi from Banksia Beach - Bribie Island - Queensland, Australia ... stay safe !~

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    A brain tumor and loss of right inner ear cost me my balance and my two wheel riding days were behind me. Speed forward and a 2012 RT Spyder has got me back on the road. Just had a new knee installed, which with my balance issues makes walking difficult, but my Spyder gets me around just fine.
    Ah, another member of the Vestibular Disorders Club! ;-)

I've been dealing with Meniere's Disease for the last 22 years, luckily isolated to left side only...after putting up with 10-hour bouts of vertigo the disease's progress has just about killed off my left ear's hearing/balance. What balance I have is maintained by the right side only, which killed any hope of riding until Can-Am came to the rescue. 2012 RT-S purchased used 3 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

As a side note, wife has mild case of Cerebral Palsy and seizures;for her I installed Corbin armrests, and have a "kitbashed" seat belt that provides enough support if she were ever to seize on the road...not enough to support her for a long time, but gives me a reliable 10 mins or so to get over to the roadside safely until all is well again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wheels4mes View Post
    After lurking around here (seems like forever) I thought I'd say hello!. I'm from the Houston area and have CP and a chair user, I finally pulled the trigger and got the 2017 F3-S Daytona. The handbrake will be shipped out Monday and a mount for my chair hopefully in about two weeks.
    Good for you my friend. Welcome to the family. May you have many many great rides. Sounds like you have it all in good shape. Happy Trails. Ride Safe Ride Often

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paraflyer1966 View Post
    Ah, another member of the Vestibular Disorders Club! ;-)

I've been dealing with Meniere's Disease for the last 22 years, luckily isolated to left side only...after putting up with 10-hour bouts of vertigo the disease's progress has just about killed off my left ear's hearing/balance. What balance I have is maintained by the right side only, which killed any hope of riding until Can-Am came to the rescue. 2012 RT-S purchased used 3 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

As a side note, wife has mild case of Cerebral Palsy and seizures;for her I installed Corbin armrests, and have a "kitbashed" seat belt that provides enough support if she were ever to seize on the road...not enough to support her for a long time, but gives me a reliable 10 mins or so to get over to the roadside safely until all is well again.
    Youve had a rough trot doubling up both you and the Mrs, glad that you are making life work for you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arm and a leg View Post
    Hi Folks,

Strke survivor here; right side is severely affected. I am very interested in an RT but I need to know if there is anyone who can move the throttle and brake to the left side. I am ready to buy a Spyder if this can be done. Thanks for your time.

Ray
    I know a guy who can work miracles. I lost both arms 10yrs ago and had him modify my 2016 F3 limited for me to drive it with my feet. I love it I now got 2100 miles in the last month and a half. Anything is possible.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capthook74 View Post
    I know a guy who can work miracles. I lost both arms 10yrs ago and had him modify my 2016 F3 limited for me to drive it with my feet. I love it I now got 2100 miles in the last month and a half. Anything is possible.
    I’d like to see pictures of that mod. That’s amazing!
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

I have 70% hearing loss, and have worn hearing aids since I was 5. Current tech of hearing aids has allowed me to hear some things so much better due to the AI modifying and focusing in on music/voice and suppressing certain "din" (restaurants etc) depending on what noise is going on at the moment.
    Last year, i updated my programming for "motorcycle" which allowed me to talk with my honey during 2UP.

Now that I have my own bike, it's super nice being able to be on the bike and surpressing most of that noise.
    Still keeping my eye out for more comfortable (and safe) helmets that I can wear with my round head and hearing aids AND glasses.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great to hear what the Spyder can do for so many. Wish you all the best !!

Spyder Garage

Default Just another beat up rider...

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Great to hear what the Spyder can do for so many. Wish you all the best !!

I to am a handicap rider, and wish to register as one. I need an idea on how to mount my Walker on my 2012 RT-S ..Love the forum have been a lurker for a couple of years. My wife and I have been riding a HD RKC for many years, I have been riding since I was 12. I have a auto-immune disease that has my left leg totally numb from the toes to the crotch. Not very comfy but the Spyder has let us back on the road again. Thank you to all that work so hard to keep us lurkers happy. Love the bike and love the forum.

Thanks, Tom and Anita
    Last edited by agrotom; 07-30-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added disability