Spyder Garage

Default Madstad windshield size?

Greetings all! I think I this may be my very first post here and I hope I am posting in the right forum.I retired last year and gifted myself a new '13 RS-S.Rode a little last summer and discovered I need a new shield as I only have the little factory sports one.My problem is I am 5 ft nothing so I replaced the handlebars with ST bars which made a huge amount of difference in my comfort level! Now I need a windshield and am leaning towards a Madstad and am thinking the 20" will help me since I am vertically challenged.
    My question is the 20" size measured when it is fully raised or when it is lowered?(I am hoping I understand the concept of it's adjustability) I kinda hope to get it right the first time as I am in Canada and will have to make a trip to the border to pick it up as shipping is crazy to Canada and it would be cheaper doing it that way then thru the postal/courier method. I had a friend help me measure and it seems I need something in the 17-18" range in order to see over a windshield.
    I was also tossing around the idea of a Calsci and after contacting them,they mentioned they could custom cut one for me but I really do like the idea of a windshield which is adjustable.Thankyou in advance for any ideas or advice
    Lisa

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard the spyder zoo Lisa lol

Madstad is a great windshield for you. My advise would be to call them and see what they recommend . They are very pleasurable people do deal with

Again Welcome Aboard

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Welcome aboard the spyder zoo Lisa lol

Madstad is a great windshield for you. My advise would be to call them and see what they recommend . They are very pleasurable people do deal with

Again Welcome Aboard

Thankyou for the welcome! I tried calling them today but I am thinking they might be closed..I am just so impatient..lol..that's why I thought I would ask here.
    Last edited by LisaJ; 04-29-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Forgot punctuation

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
    Thankyou for the welcome! I tried calling them today but I am thinking they might be closed..I am just so impatient..lol..that's why I thought I would ask here.
    I would guess Lisa they are at spyderfest

They know their windshields better than any of us

Spyder Garage

I would guess Lisa they are at spyderfest

They know their windshields better than any of us
    Ahh ok...I didn't realize it was this weekend. Well,I waited 6 months for winter to be over,I can wait
    a few days to talk with them..lol

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm 5' 11"

I just bought the 18" gray tint windshield. The measurement is when the windshield is all the way down. You will have around 2 to 3" of adjustment up if needed. Adjusted mine up about an 1" and with it all the way leaned back I can just look over the windshield. I have a 2016 F3-S Spyder and have never rode a RS Spyder so I can't comment on the seat position with that model. I would call them just to make sure about the height on your Spyder.
    Last edited by oldman55; 04-30-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldman55 View Post
    I just bought the 18" gray tint windshield. The measurement is when the windshield is all the way down. You will have around 2 to 3" of adjustment up if needed. Adjusted mine up about an 1" and with it all the way leaned back I can just look over the windshield. I have a 2016 F3-S Spyder and have never rode a RS Spyder so I can't comment on the seat position with that model. I would call them just to make sure about the height on your Spyder.
    Oldman55,thanks!..Good to know that it's that size when it is all the way down.Unfortunately I think 20' is the shortest for the RS-S.And I agree,I will have to chat with them and see what they recommend.Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Lisa
    I too have a 13 RS
    Put st bars on, ultimate seat and drivers backrest, footrest, highway pegs , hmf exhaust,touring windshield just ordered mra-creen for winshield ,

bajaron sway bar and heim links , laser aligned. It never stops always something to put on. But being an RS BULLET PROOF

Spyder Garage

Lisa
    I too have a 13 RS
    Put st bars on, ultimate seat and drivers backrest, footrest, highway pegs , hmf exhaust,touring windshield just ordered mra-creen for winshield ,

bajaron sway bar and heim links , laser aligned. It never stops always something to put on. But being an RS BULLET PROOF
    It sounds like it never ends..lol...getting stuff,I mean.I don't have much yet,just the handlebar swap and some mini-floorboards so my feet are flat-footed instead of on pegs.The windshield is next and I imagine there will be more future purchases seeing now I am retired and will be riding alot more..

Spyder Garage

Welcome! I have the Madstad on my 2008 GS. I am 5' 10". I started with a shorter one, don't remember the size and I was still experiencing bobble head. Madstad swapped it out after one year for free except shipping for a 23" and it works great. They are a great family company who stands behind their products. Be ready to play with the adjustments on it. It took me a few times to adjust it properly. Quality product!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

The windshield is measured while it is still in the box
    If you are tall get the tall windshield, if your short get the mid size
    the beauty of this windshield is if it's to tall just lower it to where you want it
    if it's to short raise it up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The windshield is measured while it is still in the box
    If you are tall get the tall windshield, if your short get the mid size
    the beauty of this windshield is if it's to tall just lower it to where you want it
    if it's to short raise it up.
    Yes, I do understand the concept.....but what I am wondering if it is 20" in the lowest position then it will be too high for me.I wouldn't want to order something I know that will be the wrong size as that would be 4 one hr trips to border receiving and returning it.I am trying to to make the buying experience as smooth as possible..lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Welcome! I have the Madstad on my 2008 GS. I am 5' 10". I started with a shorter one, don't remember the size and I was still experiencing bobble head. Madstad swapped it out after one year for free except shipping for a 23" and it works great. They are a great family company who stands behind their products. Be ready to play with the adjustments on it. It took me a few times to adjust it properly. Quality product!
    Thanks for sharing,Crisis ...From what I have read and researched they do sound like a quality dealer.They have treated you well!

Spyder Garage

Well I talked to Jerry at Madstad and they recommended a 16"..They are going to custom cut one down to that size and send it out.I even can return it if it doesn't work out! Wonderful customer service and he's a great guy to talk with..and apparently,I have the distinction of being the shortest ryder (that they know about) to purchase such a small windshield for a spyder..lol.It's going to be a long 2 weeks,waiting for it to arrive! Thanks again to everyone who replied and offered some advice

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
    Well I talked to Jerry at Madstad and they recommended a 16"..They are going to custom cut one down to that size and send it out.I even can return it if it doesn't work out! Wonderful customer service and he's a great guy to talk with..and apparently,I have the distinction of being the shortest ryder (that they know about) to purchase such a small windshield for a spyder..lol.It's going to be a long 2 weeks,waiting for it to arrive! Thanks again to everyone who replied and offered some advice
    Good luck Lisa. Please let us know how you like it.

Spyder Garage

Please post with ur results, we're in the market too. So these seem to be a LOT cheaper than other brands. No venting needed on them? Wondering what people's experiences have been long term compared to the higher dollar ones. Buffeting etc... Also i dont see them listed for F3 T's/L's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Please post with ur results, we're in the market too. So these seem to be a LOT cheaper than other brands. No venting needed on them? Wondering what people's experiences have been long term compared to the higher dollar ones. Buffeting etc... Also i dont see them listed for F3 T's/L's.
    Mine is awesome. I have it for 5 years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    You are going to get a lot of varying comments on this, Slowpoke, because everyone is a different shape and has differing requirements on wind impacts.

The Madstad didn't work for me on my F3-L (yes, they sell them) because of it's shape. It did not let enough wind around the sides on my wrists and I found it very hot in summer. The F4 worked perfectly for me......but I'm 6'7" and 300lbs.

All you can do is discuss your size and riding requirements with the manufacturer and get the one you feel will fit you the best, but you may still have to replace it. The big plus of the Madstad is the height and angle adjustable brackets. The big plus of the F4 is its ease of cleaning and excellent reference site for getting exactly the right height for your torso size.

Forget about the price.....if it doesn't give you what you want, it makes little difference whether you pay $100 or $500 for it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Got my windshield...

1.jpg3.jpg
    Made a run for the border yesterday and picked it up..got it home and it took about an hour to install.So far so good..world of difference! Still playing with the angles and height but I am thinking it will take time to find that sweet spot..but its only been 24 hours..lol..Thanks again to everyone for their advice and ideas..really appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You are going to get a lot of varying comments on this, Slowpoke, because everyone is a different shape and has differing requirements on wind impacts.

The Madstad didn't work for me on my F3-L (yes, they sell them) because of it's shape. It did not let enough wind around the sides on my wrists and I found it very hot in summer. The F4 worked perfectly for me......but I'm 6'7" and 300lbs.

All you can do is discuss your size and riding requirements with the manufacturer and get the one you feel will fit you the best, but you may still have to replace it. The big plus of the Madstad is the height and angle adjustable brackets. The big plus of the F4 is its ease of cleaning and excellent reference site for getting exactly the right height for your torso size.

Forget about the price.....if it doesn't give you what you want, it makes little difference whether you pay $100 or $500 for it.

Pete
    Agreed about price not being the end all, was just curious as to bang for the buck. I see you have the vented F4, we are leaning towards that too now. Is the vent adjustable or no...

Spyder Garage

Default Vented windshield

Hot in summer?? Head buffeting??? Get a vented shield. They are usually adjustable ( Goldwing style and the BRP vents are). I think a good adjustable vented shield should have been standard.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow