Spyder Garage

Default More tire-ing commentary....

7000 miles on my 2015 RT and the rear tire is toast. We ride SE Ohio and West Virginia and tend to ride a bit aggressively at times. Nanny gets regular exercise I have a new Altimax that will go on this week and also two new Federals that will go on front this week as well. My front tires aren't gone yet, but my buddy is an independent motorcycle mechanic who happens to sell, mount, and balance a lot of tires and owes me a favor. I figure while I have him on the hook I may as well get all three crappy stock tires replaced. We have a ride to Maggie Valley coming up the first week of July so I can use that to get the pressures dialed in to my liking before our Nova Scotia trip in August.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I sincerly doubt you'll regret making that move!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW CAR TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    7000 miles on my 2015 RT and the rear tire is toast. We ride SE Ohio and West Virginia and tend to ride a bit aggressively at times. Nanny gets regular exercise I have a new Altimax that will go on this week and also two new Federals that will go on front this week as well. My front tires aren't gone yet, but my buddy is an independent motorcycle mechanic who happens to sell, mount, and balance a lot of tires and owes me a favor. I figure while I have him on the hook I may as well get all three crappy stock tires replaced. We have a ride to Maggie Valley coming up the first week of July so I can use that to get the pressures dialed in to my liking before our Nova Scotia trip in August.
    Yessssssssssssssss ..... Car tires and psi !!!! ..... they will work much ,much better at lower pressures than you might think is safe ..... For the rear 18 will be good ...... for the front 15 is good ..... Car tires are much sturdier than Kenda's and are built for much heavier loads ...... they need much less pressure ..... Also they will be more " bump " compliant at the lower psi ...... Mike

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's good that you have somewhere to get what you want. What sizes are you planning on putting on? Thanks.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yessssssssssssssss ..... Car tires and psi !!!! ..... they will work much ,much better at lower pressures than you might think is safe ..... For the rear 18 will be good ...... for the front 15 is good ..... Car tires are much sturdier than Kenda's and are built for much heavier loads ...... they need much less pressure ..... Also they will be more " bump " compliant at the lower psi ...... Mike
    , but I didn't take the pressures as low as Mike does...
    I ended up at 23 psi in the rear tire, and it seemed to work really well...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    , but I didn't take the pressures as low as Mike does...
    I ended up at 23 psi in the rear tire, and it seemed to work really well...
    Bob - after you go to school ( like I did ) and get certified as an Accident Re-constructionist ( like I did ) and can testify in Court as an Expert ( like I could ) ...... we can discuss tire pressures on an equal footing ..... until then your opinion on this subject is S.W.A.G. ..... I'm not saying this to Dis you or hurt your feelings, but some people might think 82,000 plus posts gives you a certain amount of credibility .... maybe yes - maybe not - as far as expertise in tire pressures -- NOT ......And don't take my word on this, ask Peter Aawen what He thinks about your tire pressure ......... sorry ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-26-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're a bit off-base, Mike...
    I didn't say that you were wrong: I said that I just wasn't comfortable with running my tire pressures down where you like them.
    And it's got nothing to do with post counts: it has much more to do with mileage totals, and 40 years of riding street bikes.

Spyder Garage

Default OFF BASE - NOT REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You're a bit off-base, Mike...
    I didn't say that you were wrong: I said that I just wasn't comfortable with running my tire pressures down where you like them.
    And it's got nothing to do with post counts: it has much more to do with mileage totals, and 40 years of riding street bikes.
    40 years of riding street bikes has nothing to do with riding a Spyder ..... I know - I have 55 years of street bike experience ...... and it's not a question of where I ...." LIKE ".....the tire pressure ...... It's my schooling that tells me where it works best under what the circumstances are ( ie Spyder's )....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Opinions are like belly buttons and we all have one. I have lots of education and experience in motor racing and many times I've set pressures where I'm sure based on education they will work the best but the driver doesn't like the feel so the pressure gets changed. The tires seem to work just as well and the driver is happy. You status as resident tire expert doesn't mean that you opinion is gospel. Experience and feel is also a very valuable education. Strictly another well educated opinion. Carry on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    40 years of riding street bikes has nothing to do with riding a Spyder ..... I know - I have 55 years of street bike experience ...... and it's not a question of where I ...." LIKE ".....the tire pressure ...... It's my schooling that tells me where it works best under what the circumstances are ( ie Spyder's )....... Mike
    And 30 years of ALSO riding ATVs gives me a huge insight as to how sidewalls affect the ability of a tire to absorb impacts, and how they flex in the corners.
    When the pressures started allowing me to feel some "flex': that's where I stopped.

Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax

I put a General Altimax RT43, 225/60R/15 on 2 weeks ago and it is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE STOCK KENDA!!!!!!!!!!

• We are in rainy season here and this tire seems to be super in the wet!!!!!!!!