Spyder Garage

Default Towing with an F3-T

Is towing a trailer with a 2016 F3-T a bad idea, despite the 400 pound towing capacity? Eventually I want to get a pop up trailer (no lectures about how after market trailers voids the warranty).

Random thoughts:
    1. My head is spinning after reading through the long segment on the front sprocket. But one conclusion I came to was that if I am careful by not pushing it and easing up the on the gas when shifting, a trailer should not have a major impact. Is that correct?
    2. The RT apparently has a "trailer mode." Does the F3-T? I have no recollection of that from when I read the manual.
    3. Can I tow the full 400 pounds? I have often heard with 4 wheeled vehicles never exceed 50% of the towing capacity, and I have to agree with my very limited experience. That would be a problem since the trailer I want on paper (have to see it) weighs 235-265 pounds and I would want to put at least 60 pounds, and possibly up to 100, in it.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Is towing a trailer with a 2016 F3-T a bad idea, despite the 400 pound towing capacity? Eventually I want to get a pop up trailer (no lectures about how after market trailers voids the warranty).

Random thoughts:
    1. My head is spinning after reading through the long segment on the front sprocket. But one conclusion I came to was that if I am careful by not pushing it and easing up the on the gas when shifting, a trailer should not have a major impact. Is that correct?
    2. The RT apparently has a "trailer mode." Does the F3-T? I have no recollection of that from when I read the manual.
    3. Can I tow the full 400 pounds? I have often heard with 4 wheeled vehicles never exceed 50% of the towing capacity, and I have to agree with my very limited experience. That would be a problem since the trailer I want on paper (have to see it) weighs 235-265 pounds and I would want to put at least 60 pounds, and possibly up to 100, in it.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    I believe the trailer mode disappeared from the RT when the 1330's came out. Cannot give further advice because I have never pulled any trailer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Random thought, based on no trailer experience, easing off on the gas when shifting you might find things getting a little jerky. Shifting while under smooth acceleration when you reach your favored shifting RPM should give you the best performance.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have towed many a trailer with RTs and F3s NO PROBLEM as long as you stay within the suggested guidelines.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT trailer mode is gone. Braking can sometimes be more of an issue than pulling. Good luck, love our trailer and what it can haul.

Spyder Garage

Default Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have towed many a trailer with RTs and F3s NO PROBLEM as long as you stay within the suggested guidelines.

Cruzr Joe
    What is the heaviest load you have ever towed?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Eventually I want to get a pop up trailer (no lectures about how after market trailers voids the warranty).

Random thoughts:
    1. But one conclusion I came to was that if I am careful by not pushing it and easing up the on the gas when shifting, a trailer should not have a major impact. Is that correct?
    2. The RT apparently has a "trailer mode." Does the F3-T?
    3. Can I tow the full 400 pounds?.
    You'll never get a lecture on here about towing an after-market trailer. Many SpyderLovers tow after-market trailers.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that you should ease up on the gas when shifting (assuming you have an SE6), but don't. You'll come to find that the transmission shifts very smoothly when you just roll the throttle and shift.

The trailer mode was on the 998s (V twin). There's no trailer mode on the 1330s.

The issue isn't towing 400 lbs. The issue is stopping. You could probably tow a whole lot more than 400lbs, you just couldn't stop it. The more weight you're towing the more difficult it is to stop, just normally and especially in an emergency. When the trailer load is too heavy it'll "push" you when braking. It's all about stopping. Please keep that in mind. Did I mention it might be hard to stop?

I have an RT622 trailer and had an after-market trailer before that and I have over 25,000 miles towing a trailer with a spyder. If you stay within (or close to) BRPs guidelines, you'll be just fine.
    Last edited by Copperman; 12-15-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Have towed a loaded 500 lb Bunkhouse nothing to it, just give yourself an extra 3 car length to stop and ease off a bit in the curves. 55000 miles towed with Goldwing now tow a bushtec loaded about 400 lbs not a problem and if you pull a camper just put breaks on the camper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    Have towed a loaded 500 lb Bunkhouse nothing to it, just give yourself an extra 3 car length to stop and ease off a bit in the curves. 55000 miles towed with Goldwing now tow a bushtec loaded about 400 lbs not a problem and if you pull a camper just put breaks on the camper
    I am specifically interested in the Lees-ure Lite, which does not have a brake option. Is there such a thing as after market brakes for small trailers like these?

Spyder Garage

I am specifically interested in the Lees-ure Lite, which does not have a brake option. Is there such a thing as after market brakes for small trailers like these?
    Don't know about the brakes, but I have toured their facility in Osoyoos. Really well made and Very nice trailer!

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember that towing isn't the problem, stopping is.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622