Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 RTS LTD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS LTD

I just bought my first Spyder a week ago this past Saturday. I thought I was going to love it, but so far I do not like it. I am having a very difficult time controlling my sway on the highway as well as making left curves/bends in the road. I feel like I am going to tip over and when I go to make the left curves I end up heading towards the yellow line. I am also having a hard time keeping it from pulling me to the right when I try to stay at the white line . I road it yesterday for about 50 miles and my chest and back hurt so bad from pulling so much to try and stay on the road....Is there something wrong with my bike, me or are they just that difficult to control at 55 miles an hour? I am so discouraged with this bike and feel so bad because I told my husband I would love it and ride it a lot....Any suggestions!!!??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you gone to the doe's and don'ts on this sight?
    If not please read them that will help you alot.
    15 rt , yes Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The general consensus seems to be the following:

First, relax. Push the bar instead of pulling the bars and it seems to work better (tried this on my test ride it worked great!) Avoid gripping the bar too tight.
    Second check air pressure in your tires. The pressures are on the left side of the bike.
    Third, check and make sure your ball joints have been replaced by your dealer.

Hope this helps, the real experts will be here shortly

Spyder Garage

The bike should not be acting that way, i would suggest that you read the do's and dont's posted on this board. You can also go back to your dealer and demo ride a different bike to see if your bike is malfunctioning, or find some Spyder Ryders in your area and see if they can help you, one thing you need to do on a Spyder is relax, or it will wear you out if you try to ride it like a two wheeler.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS LTD

Thank all of you for responding.

I do not no where the do's and don'ts of this site are so if you could point me in the direction I will take a look.

I have relaxed my arms and shoulders and tried pushing on the bar instead of pulling and that didn't work for me either. I can't explain it except to say when I am going faster then 50-55 down the straight away I feel like I am all over the road and I can't control it, making left curves/bends is almost frighting, & when I try to hug the shoulder I feel like the dip in the road for water drainage is going to suck me off the road. When I am on back roads doing 40-45 going straight isn't bad but trying to make left curves seems to be a lot of work, right curves not so much. I hope this is not how it is suppose to be because I will always be afraid to ride.

I would love to find some riders in the upstate NY area so I can talk with someone local about the ride. The dealership I got this from had it brought in from another dealer so they don't have any RTS 2013 in stock currently. Are there any front suspension adjustments? I know my husband has the ride on as hard as it will go, does that make it harder to steer?

QUOTE=Jeffbear;649695]The general consensus seems to be the following:

First, relax. Push the bar instead of pulling the bars and it seems to work better (tried this on my test ride it worked great!) Avoid gripping the bar too tight.
    Second check air pressure in your tires. The pressures are on the left side of the bike.
    Third, check and make sure your ball joints have been replaced by your dealer.

Hope this helps, the real experts will be here shortly [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Have you gone to the doe's and don'ts on this sight?
    If not please read them that will help you alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    The bike should not be acting that way, i would suggest that you read the do's and dont's posted on this board. You can also go back to your dealer and demo ride a different bike to see if your bike is malfunctioning, or find some Spyder Ryders in your area and see if they can help you, one thing you need to do on a Spyder is relax, or it will wear you out if you try to ride it like a two wheeler.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Another suggestion is front tire pressure should be at or very near 15.5 lbs, i tried 16.5 lbs and the bike got squirrely to me, check your tire pressure

Cruzr joe

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My fiancee didn't like the Spyder either for the first few rides, now she loves it!

How do you feel about it under 40mph, since you feel it's not bad at 40-45mph? Reason I ask, is that if it becomes difficult to ride above that speed may point to an alignment or suspension issue that becomes worse as you go faster.

It's been known that some 2013s have been delivered with ball joint issues and improper setup from the dealership.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS LTD

I feel like the ride is more relaxing when going at lower speeds. I drove it home from the dealership the first day I got it and up until I hit the area that had a lot of left curves/bends in the road I feel I did fine. It was about 53 miles home. I road it again yesterday about the same distance, but mostly on back roads and slower speeds and I was fine. Once I got back on the highway @ 55 to 57 I could not control it, I was wondering in my lane and drifting towards the yellow line while I was trying to stay away from the shoulder and the dip in the road. My husband was riding on back seat and kept trying to get me over to the white line...I just felt like I was being sucked towards the ditch on that side and needed to stay away from it, when I come up to left curves I feel like I am going to get dragged into on coming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    My fiancee didn't like the Spyder either for the first few rides, now she loves it!

How do you feel about it under 40mph, since you feel it's not bad at 40-45mph? Reason I ask, is that if it becomes difficult to ride above that speed may point to an alignment or suspension issue that becomes worse as you go faster.

It's been known that some 2013s have been delivered with ball joint issues and improper setup from the dealership.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

K,

The same thing happened to me. I test rode a 2012 RT and found it very much to my liking. Ordered a 2013 RT Ltd, sat back and waited in anticipation. When it arrived, I took it out on a moderately twisty road, same place I rode the 2012. Couldn't hit 50mph without scaring myself. Tried to pass a bus on a straight stretch, got up to 60+ mph and backed it down. I couldn't handle it! Was like a bucking bronc! The thing wanted to "kiss" the bus and then wanted to graze in the ditch. Then I started reading about the ball joints here on SL. Went right down to the dealer, got a set on order and swapped 'em out.

Night and day difference!! Absolutely be sure you have the new ball joints. Then I would be sure my alignment is correct. Finally, be sure to follow tire pressure guidelines. From what I read here, I run 18psi front and 28psi rear. My machine handles beautifully, tracks true and it nothing but FUN! Hope you can find your solution because these machines are a real blast when they are set up correctly! Best of luck!

Loren

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would check to see if you have the ball joint issue! Here is the limk to the Do's and Don'ts:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...o%27s+Dont%27s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only on left turns? Does it feel like it wants to drag you into the ditch on right turns?

Other than the need to get used to it and having to relax, it almost sounds like improper toe-in alignment. What say you, the Spyder collective?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS LTD

I feel very comfortable with right hand turns, the only issue I have with the right is being to close to the white line and feeling like the drainage angle of the road is going to pull me into the ditch. Left hand curves no matter how small are pure torture for me to make without slowing way down or heading over yellow line and making a tractor trailer swing....LOL

I have driven snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and a 2 wheeled motorcycle so I am not knew to riding just knew to riding a spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Only on left turns? Does it feel like it wants to drag you into the ditch on right turns?

Other than the need to get used to it and having to relax, it almost sounds like improper toe-in alignment. What say you, the Spyder collective?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did you need to pay for the knew ball joints or was it a warranty issue? I hope that is my problem because for the price of these things I really want to love riding it and feeling safe. I bought it because I felt like it was safer then my motorcycle and more visible, I have not felt like that since I rode it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    K,

The same thing happened to me. I test rode a 2012 RT and found it very much to my liking. Ordered a 2013 RT Ltd, sat back and waited in anticipation. When it arrived, I took it out on a moderately twisty road, same place I rode the 2012. Couldn't hit 50mph without scaring myself. Tried to pass a bus on a straight stretch, got up to 60+ mph and backed it down. I couldn't handle it! Was like a bucking bronc! The thing wanted to "kiss" the bus and then wanted to graze in the ditch. Then I started reading about the ball joints here on SL. Went right down to the dealer, got a set on order and swapped 'em out.

Night and day difference!! Absolutely be sure you have the new ball joints. Then I would be sure my alignment is correct. Finally, be sure to follow tire pressure guidelines. From what I read here, I run 18psi front and 28psi rear. My machine handles beautifully, tracks true and it nothing but FUN! Hope you can find your solution because these machines are a real blast when they are set up correctly! Best of luck!

Loren

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS LTD

Thank you for the link, I have started to read the do's and do not's.
    I will most certainly look into the ball joint issue. I have an email out to dealer now to see if they say anything about that problem.

Thank all of you who have been responding to my post, I appreciate all of your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbear View Post
    I would check to see if you have the ball joint issue! Here is the limk to the Do's and Don'ts:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...o%27s+Dont%27s

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you well covered for starters. The issues may be partly overcontrol input. Let's hope that is your situation and that the bike was set up properly. It takes most people 500 to 1500 miles of riding to get comfortable. New riders are at the low end of the spectrum. Experienced two wheelers usually take a little longer to unlearn some of the things that are different about the . Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really doubt that the ball joints are the issue. Given that you just purchased the Spyder they should definitely be the new ones. If not your dealer should be shot. Spyders were shipped with the new ball joints starting in early April.

Ease way up on the handlebars because if you hold on to them tight you will create a monster to handle. Don't give up on the Spyder yet I am sure that you will figure it out and then you will love it. It takes a little time to get used to it.

Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just because the OP just purchased the RT does not mean it has new ball joints. It could have been sitting at the dealers in a crate since January.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-Ltd and it tracks down the road just fine at any speed. I've got 3800 miles on it now. It sounds like you've got the ball joint/alignment problem that occurred with the early 2013s. I would go back to the dealer and have them replace the ball joints and check the alignment.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS LTD

Is there a build date located on the machine? If I can find that I will no if it has the ball joint issue. I can only say I hope that is the problem, otherwise I am not sure I will ever enjoy riding this machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Just because the OP just purchased the RT does not mean it has new ball joints. It could have been sitting at the dealers in a crate since January.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

make sure they also do a new front end alinment,because the bad ball joints would not let them get the alinement right,and yes it wont coast you any money.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kwalker5 View Post
    Is there a build date located on the machine? If I can find that I will no if it has the ball joint issue. I can only say I hope that is the problem, otherwise I am not sure I will ever enjoy riding this machine...
    May or may not apply to 2013's

born on date

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=spyder+born

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

K,

Your dealer should be able to tell you if your machine is part of the ball joint replacement campaign and a few folks have had a machine with a bad alignment problem, but I really doubt if yours is a "relaxation" problem. You sound like you have had plenty of experience. Granted, the Spyder handles differently than a 2-wheeler, but you are experienced enuf to know if you are holding on too tight. I'm sure you caught yourself doing that on a 2-wheeler. You know if you are doing it. I was a pilot for over 30 yrs. Believe me, I know about over-correcting. I was NOT over correcting and my RT was all over the road.

I bought my Spyder for the same reason you expressed, more stability and better visibility. When I first took my 2013 out for a spin, I got a very sick feeling that I had just traded a great BMW RT for a wild animal. You are right. For the money, we should expect a little bit. Being scared to go over 40mph is NOT satisfaction. I sure hope you get the handling figured out because I am really happy with my RT after the ball joint replacement!

Good luck,

Loren

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Born on date

I found a date on a sticker inside the hood and it was 4/23/2013, am I to assume that is the build date? If so does this fall into the ball joint issue time frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    May or may not apply to 2013's

born on date

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=spyder+born

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New to the Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The above posters have you well covered for starters. The issues may be partly overcontrol input. Let's hope that is your situation and that the bike was set up properly. It takes most people 500 to 1500 miles of riding to get comfortable. New riders are at the low end of the spectrum. Experienced two wheelers usually take a little longer to unlearn some of the things that are different about the . Keep us posted.
    I agree....the more miles you put on your Spyder, the more comfortable you will become. The Spyder feels totally different than a motorcycle. You really do have to "unlearn" what you have been doing riding 2 wheels.