Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with DESS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with DESS

Is there anyone with in 4 to 5 hundred miles of Omaha that has Megatech Licence for BUDS that will disable DESS Key code on a 2015 Spyder RT. If it could be switched off. If there is please send me an Email to geraldmathison@gmail.com.

Any were Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Dakotas.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BUDS

Can any one tell me if this is the correct BUDS I would have to purchase for Spyder 1014 to 2017. This is what I understand and I think it includes the code for Megateck licence. The price is $702. for one year. Is it legal to use this? I don't want it if is not legal.

https://www.powersports-diag.com/en/...hnician_1_year
    Last edited by gerald37; 05-24-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

If still under Warranty, take a photo of the dash screen DESS error, bring Spyder into Dealer.
    Have them open a case with BRP.
    This being a 2015, the fix is TYPICALLY simpler then the 2014 which needed BOTH ignition switch and DESS Module replaced and some dealer/BRP would not do BOTH at once.

The 2015, is again TYPICALLY just the DESS module replacement which has fixed the MAJORITY of 2015s plaques by this error.

Good Luck!

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Is there anyone with in 4 to 5 hundred miles of Omaha that has Megatech Licence for BUDS that will disable DESS Key code on a 2015 Spyder RT. If it could be switched off. If there is please send me an Email to geraldmathison@gmail.com.

Any were Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Dakotas.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

It is the right one but if you choose the Megatech license for one year it is 1100.56 dollars. for 5 years it is 1276.16.
    You have to convert the currency to US dollars at the upper right corner.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

It has a 1 month megatech option for 714.18. It would be much cheaper to get it fixed or drive it to Houston.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

What would be nice is if some of the laser alignment folks that already have BUDS and travel around to the different ralleys can upgrade their license to Megatech and start providing that service to folks.
    Last edited by AY4B; 05-25-2018 at 01:30 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS PHOTO AND OTHER NONSENSE

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    If still under Warranty, take a photo of the dash screen DESS error, bring Spyder into Dealer.
    Have them open a case with BRP.
    This being a 2015, the fix is TYPICALLY simpler then the 2014 which needed BOTH ignition switch and DESS Module replaced and some dealer/BRP would not do BOTH at once.

The 2015, is again TYPICALLY just the DESS module replacement which has fixed the MAJORITY of 2015s plaques by this error.

Good Luck!

AJ
    Why this " take a picture thing " is still being advised as proof of the DESS failure I really don't understand .......... EVERYTHING that occurs on any Spyder is logged into the computers and can be retrieved by using B.U.D.S ...which every dealer has !!!!!! and in 2014 only SOME DESS failures required both .... Mine failed and only the Module was replaced , that was two years and 15,000 miles ago ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

The DESS module, and ensure you are getting the most current part number is not that expensive or difficult to replace. Any dealer can order it, or even you could mail order it. Probably a 1 hour task if you have the ability to work on your own machine.

Last time I checked, a new module wad around $130.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode over two miles yesterday to three of the closest dealers I have and they did not know what I was talking about the DESS Key.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    What would be nice is if some of the laser alignment folks that already have BUDS and travel around to the different ralleys can upgrade their license to Megatech and start providing that service to folks.
    I can tell you I travel with BUDS and have done several at rallys. Did a couple at Spyders on the Bayou.

I will be in the Dakotas and Nebraska around Labor Day on a group bike trip.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I can tell you I travel with BUDS and have done several at rallys. Did a couple at Spyders on the Bayou.

I will be in the Dakotas and Nebraska around Labor Day on a group bike trip.
    Thanks for that JC, you are the exception to the rule. or just exceptional. The others need to follow your lead.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Why this " take a picture thing " is still being advised as proof of the DESS failure I really don't understand .......... EVERYTHING that occurs on any Spyder is logged into the computers and can be retrieved by using B.U.D.S ...which every dealer has !!!!!! and in 2014 only SOME DESS failures required both .... Mine failed and only the Module was replaced , that was two years and 15,000 miles ago ........ Mike
    I remember well Mike! you had your Spyder all disassembled at your hotel room and it was down most of that Spyderfest. I was glad it was not me, then the following year, I got the DESS error right before Spyderfest. JC offered to turn mine off for free if I drove to Houston. I took him up on it.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I rode over two miles yesterday to three of the closest dealers I have and they did not know what I was talking about the DESS Key.
    JC explained it to me when I was there. BRP does not pay for a Megatech licence for the dealers so they do not upgrade to it. The Techs that work at the dealers can only work with what they are given. It is not that much difference between getting a regular dealers license and a Megatech license and he did not understand why they did not pay the difference. Probably its just policy just like installing car tires is against policy.
    Last edited by AY4B; 05-25-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...That would be nice!
    Are you willing to pay for that upgrade?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...That would be nice!
    Are you willing to pay for that upgrade?
    Why would I? If it was me doing laser allingments all over the country, yes Id pay the extra few bucks for a megatech license. Its just more tools in my electronic drawer to expand my business.

Megatech License Features: **

• Changing of the VIN number, MODEL number
    • Advanced settings
    • View stories in hours, rather than percentage
    • Enabling / Disabling DESS
    • Change the key type without reprogramming (normal, learning, rental)
    • Clear the history of the blocks ECM, MPEM (history of substitutions)
    • Cleaning ECM, MPEM, CLUSTER "as new" (resetting the total hours & total miles/km)
    • View more information blocks
    • Installing Secure Code
    • Edit curves for E-TEC (Skidoo).
    • Boost Seadoo Spark from 60hp to 90hp
    • etc...
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have 3 Spyder dealers within 2 miles?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You have 3 Spyder dealers within 2 miles?
    You must not know where I live. I am 50 miles northeast of Omaha. Closest dealer if you call them a dealer Edwards Motorsports & RV. They did not have any idea what I was talking about. Did not know if they had the licence. I then when to Leisure Life Sports out West Omaha and they said they would not enable the DRSS code. If I wanted it checked make an appointment and leave it with them and they would look at it. I hardly ever have the DRSS Key so it would never do it setting in their lot. I know when I would pick it up there would be a large bill to pay.. Then I went to Lincoln, NE to Star City Motor Sports they carry every line of motorcycles except Harley Davidson and BMW. They are so large they don't have much time for you. The one service manager had no idea what I wanted he gave to another and he said they would never enable any thing with a Spyder. I have no idea where you think I have 3 dealers within 2 miles. There is a pretty good dealer in Atlantic, Iowa 50 miles east of me but I know they would never enable the DESS. Algona, Iowa has a fair Spyder dealer that is where my Spyder was purchased new. They are 150 miles away. I was there a while back and they quoted me a new replacement key, the blank and cut and also programmed for $80.00. I told them to go ahead do it and the Service Manager came out and said I would have to make an appointment and come back. That is 300 mile round trip.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Tell them to READ their F'n Service Bulletins!
    Hate lazy ass techs
    AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Most dealers are only going to diagnose and fix the problem. You will need to make an appointment and leave the bike to get it fixed. Does not need to display the DESS code on the screen when they have it. The code is stored in the ECU. If its out of warranty you get to pay the repair cost. Or you purchase the tools and do the work yourself. It would be the same with any bike or vehicle.

I was just letting you know there was another option outside the box. Do not get upset with your dealer when they will not venture outside of what they are instructed by BRP.

Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always carry my laptop w/BUDS for on the road emergencies or to disable the DESS for people. Unfortunately I dont ride to Iowa.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Most dealers are only going to diagnose and fix the problem. You will need to make an appointment and leave the bike to get it fixed. Does not need to display the DESS code on the screen when they have it. The code is stored in the ECU. If its out of warranty you get to pay the repair cost. Or you purchase the tools and do the work yourself. It would be the same with any bike or vehicle.

I was just letting you know there was another option outside the box. Do not get upset with your dealer when they will not venture outside of what they are instructed by BRP.

Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.
    Retrieving Codes: by Push the Mode Set & Turn Signal buttons at the same time will that show any DESS Key Codes? I do that and I get no codes showing at all. Yesterday and today I have tried to get a DESS Key code. I have shut it off a number of times and removed the key replace it never a DESS Key on the dash. I have not been in any rains but I have really washed it several times and dryed it with my hose blow dryer. Yesterday I did use some WD40 in the switch and on the key. It has never had DESS Key since. I have had this Spyder since July of last year and have put over 10,000 miles on it. I never had this DESS Key code until last week.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Algona, Iowa has a fair Spyder dealer that is where my Spyder was purchased new. They are 150 miles away. I was there a while back and they quoted me a new replacement key, the blank and cut and also programmed for $80.00. I told them to go ahead do it and the Service Manager came out and said I would have to make an appointment and come back. That is 300 mile round trip.
    My local stealer charges $130 for the blank and programming (and you have to wait at least one week for the blank to arrive - no inventory).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    My local stealer charges $130 for the blank and programming (and you have to wait at least one week for the blank to arrive - no inventory).
    The dealer in Algona said they always had key blanks in stock. They have a place down the street that would cut the keys anytime for them. It was the Service Manager that said I would have to have an appointment. This would be a 300 mile round trip for about a 30 minute job. Over the years I have had a number of Harley Davidson's, Yamaha's, BMW's and Honda Gold Wing's and never had problems with getting service. BMW was the only one that I would have to have an appointment the others would always work you in unless it was something big. I have never had to leave a bike at a dealer other than one BMW K1200LT to replace a rear end under warranty. They gave me a loner bike to ride. In my area people are use to this kind of service and that is what hurts Spyder sales. Besides we have very few dealers.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS

I remember well Mike! you had your Spyder all disassembled at your hotel room and it was down most of that Spyderfest. I was glad it was not me, then the following year, I got the DESS error right before Spyderfest. JC offered to turn mine off for free if I drove to Houston. I took him up on it.
    " MOSTLY DOWN "- Not really just the 5 min. it took for the BRP techs to swap out the module ( seriously only 5 min. ) and I can take and or re-place my Frunk in about 15 min...... ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Retrieving Codes: by Push the Mode Set & Turn Signal buttons at the same time will that show any DESS Key Codes? I do that and I get no codes showing at all.
    No, that only retrieves ACTIVE codes. Not the history. The history is only accessible via BUDS.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame