Spyder Garage

Default Help with choosing the proper spring

Good evening everyone,

We're located in Central Texas:

My wife and I want to purchase a Can Am. We're currently looking at years 2014-2018. We drove an hour away from our house just to try out several setups. We like the F3 due to being able to move the foot rests. my wife and I are on the fluffy side and we will probably top 500 lb when riding 2 up without any luggage.

Our main concern is the springs in the Can Am. I believe we will need to change them out to a more user friendly one for our weight and comfort. Are there any riders out there that share our predicament?

Any tips and ride setups or even Can Am styles (RT, GS, F3 etc) are welcomed.

Spyder Garage

The total vehicle load capacities of both vehicles is based on, among other things, the complete suspension systems, is less than 500 lb. Therefore, you won't be able to get away with changing just springs, but will have to change complete shock absorbers, the anti-sway bar and Heim links, and, if the Spyder has the ACS air bag system that controls the ride height, it may not work properly with the extra load and could contribute to bottoming out the suspension system. Should you subsequently have any damage to the vehicle that BRP could point to as the result of exceeding the maximum load limit it would void the warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cprems View Post
    Good evening everyone,

We're located in Central Texas:

My wife and I want to purchase a Can Am. We're currently looking at years 2014-2018. We drove an hour away from our house just to try out several setups. We like the F3 due to being able to move the foot rests. my wife and I are on the fluffy side and we will probably top 500 lb when riding 2 up without any luggage.

Our main concern is the springs in the Can Am. I believe we will need to change them out to a more user friendly one for our weight and comfort. Are there any riders out there that share our predicament?

Any tips and ride setups or even Can Am styles (RT, GS, F3 etc) are welcomed.
    Hi cprems,

You are right to focus on the suspension to make sure the bike will be a good ride for both of you. With your weight, you will need at a minimum new springs all around (3). Do you have wrenching skills? If so, you can be walked through how to do this. Most Spyder riders will swap out the shocks which may be a better solution as the damping can be matched to the higher rate springs. If you change just the springs and stay with the factory shocks the damping may be slightly underdamped. But I doubt you will be riding for this to be an issue. You have a few options to include a factory offering for 2 up riding. I would suggest because of your combined weight that Elkas might be the best option because the shock is easier to change springs if you have to make another change. Fox and the factory options need special length springs that may not be may be available in the aftermarket.

Do the springs (shocks) first then evaluate the need for a stiffer swaybar. If you get the springs right to handle your weight, you may find the stock swaybar sufficient - but this is dependent on how you ride (solo or 2 up).

Best of luck
    Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

I too am a little fluffy, LOL. When I had my STL I was continually bottoming out. When I was at Spyderfest, the guy at Elka Shocks fixed me up with some Elka stage 1 shocks with a beefier spring. Never had the problem again on that Spyder. This year on my new F3 I got elka's stage 2 but they did not offer the heavier springs. I am still experamenting with adjustments on the springs but am still bottoming out. I may have to call them soon and request the heavier springs. I also recomend the Baja Ron sway bar, and links, laser allingment, more air in the tires and the upgraded brakes that Lamonster sells.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know about springs, but FWIW...

...hopefully the folks at Coyote Powersports in Boerne are on your list of dealers to check out when you buy. Rocky, the lead service tech, is a straight shooter and really knows Spyders; you might run your query by him for a safe/by the book answer as you evaluate your options.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    ...hopefully the folks at Coyote Powersports in Boerne are on your list of dealers to check out when you buy. Rocky, the lead service tech, is a straight shooter and really knows Spyders; you might run your query by him for a safe/by the book answer as you evaluate your options.
    Haven't made it that far down yet. We stopped off in Georgetown yesterday and visited with the sales guys there. Right now I'm researching and delving into what we will need to make our Spyder SAFE and fun to ride. I can wrench and have experience setting up suspension for my CRF450 that I raced.

I appreciate the help and tips/what to do's. I'll definitely add them to the list. I have looked at the Elka shocks and will replace all 3. I'm not sure if stage 1 or 2 would be more appropriate but I'm leaning towards the stage 2.