Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Best method to ship ECU to Monster Fuel in Canada

USPS, UPS, FedX---? I'll have over one week of out of town vacation time. What has been everyone's experience--cost--time frame doing the ECU shipment for performance ECU reflash?
    Thank you kindly,
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someone posted how to send think FedEx was the way to go.

Spyder Garage

Default Fed-ex ground

Fed Ex ground gets there in 2 days. About $26 with a box. Ask for a brown box that's 13" X 10" X 3" thick. It's under the counter at my Fed-Ex outlet.
    What happens starting at 5,000 rpm to red line is going to blow you away. If your not under warranty or don't care, consider the 8,600 rev limit.
    I just traded in my Flash 2015 RT for a 2016 F3 limited. When they hooked up the BUDS as part of the inspection process, not a word was said about my bike having been up to 9,100 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    USPS, UPS, FedX---? I'll have over one week of out of town vacation time. What has been everyone's experience--cost--time frame doing the ECU shipment for performance ECU reflash?
    Thank you kindly,
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Thank you kindly,
    Darrell
    Method doesn't matter.
    USPS has cheapest options with longest times
    FedEx and UPS have next day options but at a cost. And they also have a ground option that can be anywhere from 2 days to 5 days.

With all, you can go online to website and estimate cost and time. Or they can tell you at counter.

Pricing varies per state. And how remote you are from major city.

Some people ship next day both ways and have ecu out/done/back in 3 days. Others just send cheapest option and it can take a week (or more) turn around.
    Last edited by Spyd_Piper; 08-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aftermarket ECU reflashing is somewhat common with both the Harley Davison and Indian motorcycle community.

You can take a box Stock HD motorcycle, as I have done, had the proper tune (program) for my bike done and the results are a much better running motorcycle, better throttle response, smoother power and a good increase in power with better overall drivability.

The engine in the Spyder is set up to meet EPA requirements, not best performance out of the engine. A properly reflashed ECU will meet best overall performance rather than being strangled to meet EPA requirements.

The ability to get your Spyder's ECU reflashed is a home run in the overall ride ability of your Spyder.

I am glad that these guys are offering their service, generating new and improved Maps is no small task by a long shot.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Default ecu reflash

Call monster up and let them instruct you. They have a specific way to get
    your ecu shipped without the border patrols getting involved.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    Call monster up and let them instruct you. They have a specific way to get
    your ecu shipped without the border patrols getting involved.

Dray
    Done that--it all varies--some freight is easier to clear customs--some faster-some slower-$$ costs--choices are endless--just wanted experience on the shipment.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not just ride your bike to up to them, and have them make some "magic happen", while you wait?

You've got the week off!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Border is no issue at all. Either shipping method. Stuff comes back and forth no problem.

The only reason its mentioned is because "our Canadian" government likes to charge 13% tax on anything coming across border.
    So by specifying "ecu repair" and $1 value, that tax charge is rightfully avoided.

On items due for tax here, FedEx and UPS charge $75 fee to charge you 13% tax. Whereas Canada Post / US Post only charge $8 fee.
    Meaning, if a mistake is made for import description and value, the fees through USPS are way lower than UPS or FedEx.

Follow shipping instructions abput value and item description and ALL shipping vendors work great. Even DHL etc.

Spyder Garage

Default Flash is great!

I had my 2016 f3s done by monster..... it was well worth it. More power everywhere but oddly I noticed it most in neutral! Just MUCH more crisp and quicker revving. I can hear the intake honking and it just pulls better. Actually kinda hard getting used to being smooth off the line after getting accostumed to the old power delivery. I’m a happy camper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    I had my 2016 f3s done by monster..... it was well worth it. More power everywhere but oddly I noticed it most in neutral! Just MUCH more crisp and quicker revving. I can hear the intake honking and it just pulls better. Actually kinda hard getting used to being smooth off the line after getting accostumed to the old power delivery. I’m a happy camper
    Interesting, my F3-S was a dismal failure as well as Dennis's F3T.... When did you have yours flashed exactly? We were both early adopters, Dennis well before me. His RT was spectacular but when he traded in for the F3T it was awful. I am still waiting to hear from Steve as to when he feels he has sorted out the issues and a troublesome P0172 code that Dennis keeps getting, before I send mine back for another attempt.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Mine popped a code when I first got it done. Sent it back in September for a fix and is fine now.

Spyder Garage

Default Two weeks ago

I had the reflash done 2 weeks ago. It’s not a rocket, but like I said... it’s a pretty impressive difference. So far.. no codes... but u have me worried!

Spyder Garage

I had the reflash done 2 weeks ago. It’s not a rocket, but like I said... it’s a pretty impressive difference. So far.. no codes... but u have me worried!
    What model do you have? Just so I can keep track of who has what and their results.....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default Model

I have the f3s semi auto. Cat delete (with small muffler welded in) and voodoo exhaust

Spyder Garage

Well, after all the work put in by Dennis in Lodi, I would hope that Steve has it sorted out by now!

I have the f3s semi auto. Cat delete (with small muffler welded in) and voodoo exhaust
    Thanks, sounds like he has made good progress then. I am gonna wait to send mine back until he has developed and dyno'ed a specific 89tooth tune from a Daytona he has use of now. He is supposedly doing this in the spring of this year, so we are getting close!

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default Oh boy....

Will I need to send it back? What’ll the difference be??

Spyder Garage

Will I need to send it back? What’ll the difference be??
    My understanding is he will work on a more specific 89 tooth flash and incorporate any new features that can be made available. Like top speed limiter removal and some other items I don't recall from the myriad of emails exchanged with him.

For any of these new features or to have the latest and greatest tune you would have to send it back. But he has 2 locations in the US now for faster service....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default Intersting

I wish he said something, I woulda waited. I sent mine to Canada. How will we know it’s available? Do you know where in the US?

Spyder Garage

I wish he said something, I woulda waited. I sent mine to Canada. How will we know it’s available? Do you know where in the US?
    I looked in my emails and he said there is one in Louisiana and North Carolina but I don't have the addresses. Just call him and get them and give him a heads up that you are sending it back to make sure that whatever place you send it knows it is for a "re-program" and is supposed to be no cost.....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much... will do in the spring. So far... about 500 miles on the flash and I love it.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much... will do in the spring. So far... about 500 miles on the flash and I love it.
    What exactly are you loving about it? Has the speed limiter been removed? Do you no longer feel it starting to shut down around 100-105 (some were feeling it as early as 96 on their F3, me included, which is the RT shutdown window)? Mine has always been a rocket up to about 100 but now it is more pronounced AFTER the flash! Do you feel yours accelerates better/pulls harder etc throughout the range?

Just curious....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

I’m mostly... oddly enough, feeling improved low end and throttle response. It pulls better everywhere, but not really past 105.... it still creeps up to 119 or so. But on the way there it pulls harder and I can hear the intake sucking air now. On the bottom end it’s hard not to break the tire loose... it used to be a dog there. I hope the next phase improves the limiter. I am on Long Island and will be at americade if you want to take it for a spin to compare.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Monster Mod

I’m mostly... oddly enough, feeling improved low end and throttle response. It pulls better everywhere, but not really past 105.... it still creeps up to 119 or so. But on the way there it pulls harder and I can hear the intake sucking air now. On the bottom end it’s hard not to break the tire loose... it used to be a dog there. I hope the next phase improves the limiter. I am on Long Island and will be at americade if you want to take it for a spin to compare.
    I hope you have an Auto tire on your Spyder and if you do ....at 17-18 psi in the rear tire you will have a lot more traction ........... try it - you'll love it .. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire

The rear tire is original with 12,000 miles on it. Still on a quest for a slightly wider car tire that'll fit.