Thread: Too Easy???

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Like a lot of people have said, the hardest part is removing the proper panels to get to what you want to do. It all starts with one or both of the mirrors. Now that I am a seasoned veteran of Spyder maintenance(HA!!), the mirrors come off in a couple of seconds. For me, the second hardest part was getting the Spyder in the air high enough so that I could get under it to actually see the two drain plugs. I'm a visual learner, I have to see something being done in order to do it myself. Thank Goodness for YouTube and SpyderLovers!! Now that I know where everything is at, the next oil change will be cake.

To those out there who are on the fence about oil and filter changes, I look at it this way - you can pay the local dealer the $200-300 to do what you are perfectly capable of doing yourself, with the proper tools and equipment, of course. Or, you can get the job done yourself, with all of the satisfaction and pride and whatever else I can't think of right now. You'll learn about your Spyder, and be more involved in the maintenance aspect of ownership. I'm all about saving money if I can do it myself, and this last weekend was a huge boost to my self-esteem!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Like a lot of people have said, the hardest part is removing the proper panels to get to what you want to do. It all starts with one or both of the mirrors. Now that I am a seasoned veteran of Spyder maintenance(HA!!), the mirrors come off in a couple of seconds. For me, the second hardest part was getting the Spyder in the air high enough so that I could get under it to actually see the two drain plugs. I'm a visual learner, I have to see something being done in order to do it myself. Thank Goodness for YouTube and SpyderLovers!! Now that I know where everything is at, the next oil change will be cake.

To those out there who are on the fence about oil and filter changes, I look at it this way - you can pay the local dealer the $200-300 to do what you are perfectly capable of doing yourself, with the proper tools and equipment, of course. Or, you can get the job done yourself, with all of the satisfaction and pride and whatever else I can't think of right now. You'll learn about your Spyder, and be more involved in the maintenance aspect of ownership. I'm all about saving money if I can do it myself, and this last weekend was a huge boost to my self-esteem!

Just out of curiosity, what is high enough? I suspect that the height can vary based on how big the person is and their limberness so looking for a ballpark figure.

Thx

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is high enough? I suspect that the height can vary based on how big the person is and their limberness so looking for a ballpark figure.

Thx
    My driveway is sloped just enough that when I drive the front wheels onto 8.5" high ramps, the Spyder is still pretty level. That's high enough for me to stick my head underneath to see what the heck I'm doing. Plus it gets everything up off the ground a little higher so it's easier to remove panels, etc. I don't bend at the waist like I used to!!
    2014 RTL , Gray