Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok car buffs

Spyder Garage

Default ok car buffs

my sister is posting some pictures of my dad, he has been gone over 40 years now. she posted one today of him standing on the street in east harlem ny and we think it is of him b4 he went into the air force, does anyone know the years of the cars in the picture so we might get a idea of what year the picture was taken

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Guessing...

had a 37 Olds and those cars look the same era. So middle late 30's. But those in the know will come along. If not we could try for the clothing starting with the cool boots..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

we think they were his sneakers, he was a big base ball player back than
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The car with the sidemounts looks to have the look of a Packard. I would say it is a '37 or '38.

The other car is definitely pre-war but hard to tell. I would say a '35 or '36 Chevrolet.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The one behind your Dad looks a lot like a '36 Chevy my brother had once.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pre-War: mid to late thirties seems about right.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

me my sister and my dad

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

one of my best friends dad's had a 38 olds that looked about the same era!

Spyder Garage

Default Okay then...!!

nice photo..now your in the early 50's. Great to have all those old photos..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    my sister is posting some pictures of my dad, he has been gone over 40 years now. she posted one today of him standing on the street in east harlem ny and we think it is of him b4 he went into the air force, does anyone know the years of the cars in the picture so we might get a idea of what year the picture was taken

John,

I'm no expert on the model years for the cars, but civilian automobile production was stopped during the war. So there were no model years in the early '40s. So, even though those are pre-war models, the pic could have been taken during the war.

When did you dad go into the service? Was he in New York any time after his enlistment, but before the end of the war?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I cannot help with the car ID's. Thank you for sharing the pictures though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    John,

I'm no expert on the model years for the cars, but civilian automobile production was stopped during the war. So there were no model years in the early '40s. So, even though those are pre-war models, the pic could have been taken during the war.

When did you dad go into the service? Was he in New York any time after his enlistment, but before the end of the war?
    from what i understand, once he enlisted he was not home for a long time, i know he was in Scotland, England, Texas, Sioux falls SD. i will have to check
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    me my sister and my dad

Can I comment on the pork store?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Can I comment on the pork store?

There was probably not a lot of them in the area. Hence, the name and big sign.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

back than there was also a live market around the block from there. as a kid i would go into the market to play with the rabbits and ducks, you would pick out what you wanted and they would kill it and get ti ready for your dinner. i remember watching them kill and de feather the chickens
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Pork store - is that where modern politics started??
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Cuz, your pictures remind me of my dad and being a kid in the '50s. He was Army Air Force in 1942 based in Aberdeen, Scotland, part of the 100th Bomb Group. Your dad seems to be about the same age, maybe born in 1922 like mine. Maybe they served at the same base in Scotland. You might try looking him up on the 100th Bomb Group's website.

https://100thbg.com/

Good luck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Cuz, your pictures remind me of my dad and being a kid in the '50s. He was Army Air Force in 1942 based in Aberdeen, Scotland, part of the 100th Bomb Group. Your dad seems to be about the same age, maybe born in 1922 like mine. Maybe they served at the same base in Scotland. You might try looking him up on the 100th Bomb Group's website.

Good luck.

Very cool history.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing this little piece of history my dad was also in the Army air corps born in 1921 he stayed state side to train pilots.
    His cousin Clayton Kelly Gross went to Europe and flew fighter planes he achieved Ace status and is still alive at 94 years old. We lost my Dad in 2011 at 90 years old.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post

Good luck.
    my dad was born in august of 1921 . now a quick story, when dad was in Scotland he went to a photographer and had a picture taken of him in a kilt and jacket. he told the guy to send the picture to my grandmother in ny and gave her name and address. when the guy saw his last name he told my dad to hang on and went in the back of the shop and came out with another picture of a guy in a kilt and jacket. he asked my dad if he knew the guy because he had the same last name, when my dad looked it was his brother frank who was in a week earlier, he was army infantry and wanted the same type of picture sent to his mom, my grandmother. talk about a small world
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That is a priceless family story small world is right !!
    Here is a doozy for ya my Dads cousin Clayton shot down a German Ace who was flying one of the first fighter jets ever made, the German pilot parachuted Clayton circled back around and waved at the pilot the German pilot saw the name on the side of the Mustang and took note
    flash ahead to the year I think it was 1990 something Clayton went to Europe to attend a WW11 pilots convention and met the German jet pilot that he shot down, The German pilot thanked him for saving his life because of the injuries he sustained from being shot down he couldn't return to his squadron . And said that his entire squadron that he flew with all perished in the 6 months after he was shot down.
    Small world indeed.

Spyder Garage

Cool story.

Im still waiting for the Red Baron to thank me for shooting him down.

Snoopy

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    John,

r?
    An awful lot of cars were manufactured in 1940 and 1941 before December 7th.

We had a '41 Chevy.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

my sister has the picture of my dad in the kilt that he took in Scotland but no one knows where my uncle franks picture is, as soon a my sister sends me the picture of dad i will post it here
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME