Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-S Front tires

Good or bad on front of Spyder RT-S?
    Federal 595 EVO
    Federal Formoza AZ01

Spyder Garage

Neither. We stock and install high quality Yokohama tires for the front. Do not care for the chinese imports.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Front tires

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Neither. We stock and install high quality Yokohama tires for the front. Do not care for the chinese imports.
    What model yokahomas for the RT-S 2014
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A much better tire - IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rpopdan View Post
    Federal 595 EVO
    Federal Formoza AZ01
    " Vredesteins " Quatrac 5 , model ...... They are probably the best wet / dry road tire sold today ..... they have 14in. & 15 inch sizes to fit All Spyders ....... Tire Rack is currently shipping these FREE ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...T5XL&tab=Sizes

TIRE RACK TEST RESULTS VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5

Video; Are These Grand Touring All-Season Tires the Way of the Future? (06:25) Scroll down at link above to see this video comparison of 3 Grand Touring All-Season tires

Some drivers can be successful with a single tire solution for their year-round mobility needs. To see how three new three-peak mountain snowflake-branded tires perform and what, if any, tradeoffs come along with this enhanced snow traction, we did a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive.

Read the Full Test Report
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-13-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

think we need more tire and oil threads on the forum. Couple hundred aren't enough
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Default VREDESTEIN TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

TIRE RACK TEST RESULTSVREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5

Are These Grand Touring All-Season Tires the Way of the Future? (06:25)

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • Mail

Some drivers can be successful with a single tire solution for their year-round mobility needs. To see how three new three-peak mountain snowflake-branded tires perform and what, if any, tradeoffs come along with this enhanced snow traction, we did a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive.

Will these premium Grand Touring All-Season tires be the way of future?

Did you scroll down into the GREEN - performance numbers .....this is why I think they are currently the best all-around tires today ..... compare them to Kumho or Toyo " S " drive ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Did you scroll down into the GREEN - performance numbers .....this is why I think they are currently the best all-around tires today ..... compare them to Kumho or Toyo " S " drive ...... Mike
    Yep, there's a lot of good info at that link
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default GOOF INFO

Yep, there's a lot of good info at that link
    There have been comments & complaints that those tests were done using Cars not Spyders and therefore are totally Invalid ............ I've been to school on this and I feel they are valid .... I have yet to see a highly rated tire become a Crappy tire just because it's on a Spyder annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I've yet to see a poorly rated tire become a Great tire when used on a Spyder ..... For Spyders using Car tires it's ALL about what PSI you are using ....... JMHO ( and probably Peter Aawen's also ) ................... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There have been comments & complaints that those tests were done using Cars not Spyders and therefore are totally Invalid ............ I've been to school on this and I feel they are valid .... I have yet to see a highly rated tire become a Crappy tire just because it's on a Spyder annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I've yet to see a poorly rated tire become a Great tire when used on a Spyder ..... For Spyders using Car tires it's ALL about what PSI you are using ....... JMHO ( and probably Peter Aawen's also ) ................... Mike
    I haven't seen a lot of comments and complaints. What I've seen is people trying to get clear, unambiguous answers to their questions about tires from the experts, including yourself. Speaking from experience, that isn't always easy to do on this forum. I don't think anyone is trying to deliberately mislead anyone. I think it's because there are NO independent tests of car tires on Spyders, so everything is conjecture and narrative about experiences folks have had with them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default VALID INDEPENDANT TESTS

I haven't seen a lot of comments and complaints. What I've seen is people trying to get clear, unambiguous answers to their questions about tires from the experts, including yourself. Speaking from experience, that isn't always easy to do on this forum. I don't think anyone is trying to deliberately mislead anyone. I think it's because there are NO independent tests of car tires on Spyders, so everything is conjecture and narrative about experiences folks have had with them.
    I give up ........

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Federal 595 EVO
    Federal Formoza AZ01
    I have run both on the RT and I prefer the Formoza. That’s what I’m running on my F3T now as well. They handle great and should last you upwards of 30,000 miles. Another benefit of the Formoza is it is asymmetrical so you can rotate them without dismounting and remounting the tire on the wheel.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

In truth, I think that since the stock Kendas are so crappy, anything else is a vast improvement!

FWIW, I currently have Kumho Solus KH16s on the 2014 RT-S. They work for me, but then I'm not an aggressive rider.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    What model yokahomas for the RT-S 2014
    Yokohama Avid S34FA 175/55-15 Great tire for the Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Federal 595 EVO
    Federal Formoza AZ01
    I have no comment on the Formosa, as I haven't tried them. But I did have the Federal 595 EVO on my 2014 RT, and I loved them. That is definitely what is going on my F3T when the need for new rubber arrives. I actually didn't know how bad the OEM tires were until using the 595's. The bike had around 18k when I installed them, and rode/drove better than the day it was delivered.
    BTW, I am a very agressive driver.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    In truth, I think that since the stock Kendas are so crappy, anything else is a vast improvement!......

Wot 'e says!!

But as Mike mentioned earlier, "....For Spyders using Car tires it's ALL about what PSI you are using ....." - simply because the Car tires are built to be capable of carrying so much more weight than we generally find in a Spyder, and it's the volume of air inside the tire (& therefore the pressure) that actually does the load carrying, so our Spyders need proportionally less volume/pressure than the volume/pressure required to carry a car.... Exactly what that pressure might be is going to be dependant upon many things, largely those related to you & your ryding, where & how you ryde, what you carry, but it IS going to be lower than the pressure needed to carry the weight of a car whichever way you look at it! And running at that (lower) pressure is what lets your chosen car tires flex & warm up & resist punctures & provide traction & clear water out from between the tread & the road so you don't hydroplane and basically let it do all those things that whichever car tire you've chosen has been designed & constructed to do best & excel at - well, once you drop the pressure down to one which is suited to the lighter load imposed by your Spyder anyway.

So once you decide to run a car tire instead of a Kenda, and you recognise the need to run it at a lower pressure than the lightly constructed Kenda or less than whatever pressure that tire might need in it if its being asked to carry something maybe 3 times heavier, then YOU need to choose the tire that has those characteristics that best suit YOUR Ryding needs & wants (be it a Kenda, a car tire, or a piano wire tire or whatever it's your needs and your choice!) Mike has researched what's available over in your part of the world & made an educated suggestion/recommendation about some tires that should be good; SpyderAnn01's done a whole lotta miles on some of the tires available & told everyone what her educated suggestion/preference is for tires that suit the miles she does; jcthorne has fitted more'n just a few car tires to Spyders & made his educated suggestion/recommendation about tires that suit those wanting a tire with better traction.... So you already have a few relatively 'highly educated' suggestions & recommendations, even preferences from people who between them have racked up a fair bit of experience running car tires on Spyders to go on, and then there's ALL THOSE OTHER MILLIONS OF MILES that all the other Spyder Ryders who were disappointed (or worse!) by the Kendas have done on the tires they chose - Ryders who have, in the large, found a tire choice that DOES DO what they need & want from a tire in a way the Kendas didn't & couldn't. And on the whole, like Fat B suggests, they've found that pretty much ANYTHING else is a vast improvement over the Kendas!

Still, it doesn't really matter how many tires OTHER people try or test or how many miles we might ryde, or even how many independent tests there might one day be, there comes a time where YOU are just going to hafta make a decision about what tires YOU want to run on your Spyder.... maybe one based upon the recommendations & experiences of others; maybe one based upon someone else's published tests; but ultimately its gotta be your choice based upon your own perception of your needs & wants, or it's always going to be a guess or a compromise & that means it's waaayyy more likely to be a disappointment.

SO, over to you, it sounds like it's probably time for you to make YOUR choice.....

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    think we need more tire and oil threads on the forum. Couple hundred aren't enough
    No we don't.

People should use the "Advanced Search box" top right hand corner, below the Log Out, Settings, My Profile tabs.

I know there are new spyder/current spyder owners that join this site.

Deanna

Last edited by Deanna777; 06-14-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

A month or so ago I went to the Federal web site and Fount the Formoza but could not find the Evo listed at all. Am wondering if the Evo has been discontinued. Easy enough to tell if someone would post a 2018 manufacturing date on their new Evos.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Tires evolve

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    A month or so ago I went to the Federal web site and Fount the Formoza but could not find the Evo listed at all. Am wondering if the Evo has been discontinued. Easy enough to tell if someone would post a 2018 manufacturing date on their new Evos.
    Federal made changes to EVO and I guess decided not call it EVO II - I think the Formoza is a better tire than the EVO was ...... Michelin did much the same with the Defender , they now make the Defender - T&H, which has improved All around Performance ratings .......There are still " EVO's " for sale but they OLD stock & eventually will dis-appear like the Michelin Hydro-Edge did ...........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-15-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Checked today, isn’t this the same EVO as always?

http://www.federaltire.com/en/produc...ts_detail_sn=7

Spyder Garage

If you download the 2018 Product Guide at this link,
    http://www.federaltire.com/download/...lobal-2018.pdf, I find no Evo except in the Ultimate performance category, and only one, Super Steel 595 in 185/55 R15. The Formoza AZ01 is available in several 15" sizes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If you download the 2018 Product Guide at this link,
    http://www.federaltire.com/download/...lobal-2018.pdf, I find no Evo except in the Ultimate performance category, and only one, Super Steel 595 in 185/55 R15. The Formoza AZ01 is available in several 15" sizes.
    Based on your info, those wanting to ride on 595 EVOs are out of luck.

No worries here as we roll Formozas.

Spyder Garage

Will this fit the 2015 spyder rt limited. Does the fenders have enough height and width for theses tires?

Thanks, Lois

TIRE RACK TEST RESULTS VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5

Video; Are These Grand Touring All-Season Tires the Way of the Future? (06:25) Scroll down at link above to see this video comparison of 3 Grand Touring All-Season tires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lois35 View Post
    Will this fit the 2015 spyder rt limited. Does the fenders have enough height and width for theses tires?

Thanks, Lois
    That link you referred to - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...T5XL&tab=Sizes

is for a Quatrac 5 sized 185/65R15 tire!! I don't know of anyone who's managed to fit a 185/65R15 onto their Spyder without doing mods to the fenders &/or support brackets. The biggest I personally could fit on my 2013 RT Ltd with the same fenders as most of the 2015 RT Ltd's was a 175/60R15, and even then, I had to gently prise up the fenders to actually fit/mount the wheels onto the hub (once on, they were fine!) However, when cornering hard the hex head screws that project their heads into the wheel well area just touched the new tires, so I took all the hex head screws out & replaced them with dome head screws, & no more touching!

But I think you'd be seriously 'touching' something if you tried to run the linked 185/65R15 tires, they are just too much bigger than the OE Spec tires, that are a bit on the small side of their nominal size anyway!! You could always mod the fenders tho?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-16-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've run both the Federal Evo 595 and the Formoza. I prefer the Formoza over the Evo. On paper the Evo should be the better tire, but in the real world the Formoza is superior in ride and handling.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6