Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oil consumption on 2012 rts-se5

My rts-se5 uses a lot of oil. There are no drips or puddles on my garage floor so I can only assume I am burning it. My dad has the same spyder and uses very little. I have to add oil every 1000 miles or so. any ideas?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's what the Vee-Twin Spyders do. You should get in the habit of checking your oil every 500 miles.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

x 2. Advice to check every 500 miles is right on. Some use a little more oil than others--but "that's just the way they are."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bandit1986 View Post
    My rts-se5 uses a lot of oil. There are no drips or puddles on my garage floor so I can only assume I am burning it. My dad has the same spyder and uses very little. I have to add oil every 1000 miles or so. any ideas?
    My 2012 used a quarter of a court every 600 miles

Spyder Garage

Default Don't worry....

Nature of the beast. The best is to check your oil as soon as you get in from a long ryde. Take off your gear and check the oil level and add if needed. This way it is measured correctly and you will not over or under fill it. If the other spyder is not using any oil it is a newer 1330 triple or someone is not checking their oil correctly. as I always tell folks ... a certain amount of oil will go up in smoke...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default i don`t know

I have thought about this also ... I have the s-m 5 and I ride a little not a all out everyday ride , and the oil seems too be fine , hardly use any , another fellow ,same model and year , 1000 miles add oil , so I wonder if one runs the heck out of it , fast starts , gunning it at all possible times , run it like you stole it attitude , might burn a lot of oil ! I just eas into the gears , run easy at 60 not so fast take off , only if I need too just putter around and enjoy the day and ride .. { how is your riding habit ? }

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How you ride them has little effect on oil usage. I always babied my 2010 RT A&C, and it still needed oil at about the 1,000 mile mark.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Have you checked......

Quote Originally Posted by bandit1986 View Post
    ..... your spark plugs? They will tell you the real story.... if black carbon on them, or one of them, something is wrong.... white or pale gray....all is fine. Also, check the air filter to see if any oil goes up in there. if so, your are not filling it to the proper level. you add too much...... don't ask me how I know......

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...