Spyder Garage

Default My First Long Road Trip

Last week, myself and my girlfriend Heidi went on our first long road trip on the Spyder. I thought I might share our route as well as some of my observations about the Spyder and how she did. I have read a lot on this forum about problems folks have with their Spyders (even 2014's like mine) and all the farkles and such folks use to make it more comfortable for them. So I went into this trip a little concerned about reliability and comfort. But there is only one way to find out and that is through time, experience and miles on the road. First off, about my Spyder. She is a 2014 RTS with the stock seat and windscreen. I added the BRP driver backrest and BRP adjustable wind deflectors. I also have the bajaron sway bar and links. I started the trip with just a hair over 3,000 miles and just completed my first service. I went over her with a fine tooth comb prior to leaving. Front tire PSI was 21 and rear was 28. The pressure stayed consistent throughout the ride. I had also purchased saddlebag and frunk liners from an aftermarket source which were invaluable and held up well. Comfort was not an issue for either of us. Although we do have two Airhawk seat pads to help.

The trip consisted of 2310 miles round trip over seven days. Day 1 was from Tucson to Cortez, Colorado via the Salt River Canyon, and Gallup, NM. Day 2 was Cortez to Leadville via Telluride, Aspen and Independence Pass. Day 3 found us riding from Leadville to Estes Park via Vail, Berthoud Pass and Rocky Mountain National Park. We drove from Estes Park to Gunnison on Day 4 via the east side of RMNP, Loveland Pass, Breckenridge and Monarch Pass. Day 5 we took the long route from Gunnison to Ouray via South Fork, Pagosa Springs and the Million Dollar Highway (US550). Riding from Ouray to Flagstaff via Lizard Head Pass, Cortez and across northern Arizona consumed Day 6. Because the temperatures in the desert southwest have been so hot, we left Flagstaff early on Day 7 and rode directly back to Tucson. As I stated previously, 2310 miles in total. The scenery was awesome and the weather pretty good. We dodged more than one rainstorm and managed to stay dry even though we had raingear just in case. We had purchased Sena SMH10 headsets prior to the trip and they worked well. Heidi used a 3/4 helmet so hearing wind noise at speeds over 70 mph from her mike was an issue from time to time. I use a modular and never had that issue. I had turned off the voice activation feature so the wind wouldn't trigger the mikes. But we left them on intercom most of the time. The battery life was excellent we found out. I forgot to recharge them one night and we were able to use them most of the next day with no issue. granted, we kept them off part of the time, but we never had them stop working due to low battery.

Now for the Spyder. As stated previously, I was a little concerned about running into some issue with the Spyder. Whether it be a loose connection, DESS screen, limp mode, whatever. I have read enough posts to be a bit worried. That being said, I had ZERO problems with the Spyder. She performed wonderfully in all cases. In the heat the temperature gauge never exceeded the halfway point. At altitude she climbed well with no hesitation. By altitude I mean over 12,000 feet. This in spite of a full load including me, Heidi and a lot of baggage. I averaged about 40 mpg for the entire trip which was significantly higher than I expected or budgeted for. With good tire pressures, an alignment and the sway bar/links, she tracked straight and true. She started every morning and every time I shut her off. No hesitation and no stalling. I was very impressed and pleased about how reliable she was. I can't speak for any other Spyder model, but this one has gained my trust.

Some things I noticed about the Spyder. The only "issue" I seemed to have was really squeaky brakes. And one night after getting into Ouray, I had to park on an incline and found that the parking brake would not hold me. She kept wanting to roll back. Because I just got off a road where I had to use the brakes quite a bit, I put it down to hot brakes. From that point on I had no issue with it. Not did I have an issue previous to that. But I did not find myself needing to park on an incline either. So I found a more level parking spot and that was it. Even after over 5,000 miles, I find myself still getting used to the Spyder's handling, particularly on winding roads. Because of the stance (two front wheels) I feel the unevenness of the road's surface more. When that happens in turns, it just feels different. I know this is obvious to most all of you. But it seemed to have a detrimental effect on my carving up the twisties like I used to do with a two wheeler. Before someone points out that the Spyder isn't a two wheeler, I know that already. I guess I was just a bit surprised how much longer it took me to cover a certain distance on a road on the Spyder than it did on a two wheeler. Part of it was taking it easy with a passenger on the back. Part of it I guess is that I miss carving up a twisty road on a two wheeler.

All in all, it was a great trip on a very reliable and enjoyable Spyder. I had none of the issues I have read about on this forum and am very thankful for that. The one issue (besides the squeaky brakes) that I had was self-inflicted. This may get a knowing chuckle from some of you. On day 1 we were about 15 miles south of Gallup. It was pretty warm and I was messing a little with my GPS unit which is mounted on the right side handlebar. All of a sudden the Spyder died just I was touching the GPS unit. I pulled over and we got off. I was not pleased and my first thought was that the Spyder was a piece of crap. I calmed a bit and started checking battery connections and fuses. I had lights when the key was turned on, but nothing when I pressed the starter. Fortunately, it only took me about 7 minutes to realize I had inadvertently hit the kill switch with the palm of my glove when I was messing with the GPS. I put the kill switch to run and she started right up. I felt like a complete idiot and was glad I didn't call for roadside assistance. After that, we were on the road again with no issues the rest of the trip.

2014 RT-S SE6 (Rider backrest, BajaRon sway bar & Lamonster links)
    "Black Betty"

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you had a good trip. That kill switch thing happens to just about everyone--at least once.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder

Great story thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default kill switch and handle bar heaters

Yes first time I tripped kill took a minute. Still hit the handle bar heaters once in awhile, back thing in AZ heat

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that. Those are some beautiful places you both visited. I'm off for 7 days next week on my first long road trip on my Spyder & am very uptight about it all. Both the Spyder's reliability (it has been great so far) & mine!

Wifey & I have been all over the areas you rode but neither of us can recall the Lizard Pass.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Lizard Head Pass

Oldgoat, Lizard Head Pass is north of Cortez on the way to Telluride. Highway 145 I believe. That is a very nice ride.

"Black Betty"

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

glad you had such a great first long ryde. Don't go by the issues you read here they are few and they are the reason folks come here. Well that and the laughs... we need more posts like yours to balance out the site. Thanks for the ryde along...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great trip MyEleanor, wish we could of joined you. Have not done a long trip on the Spyder yet. May have to take a ride one of these weekends, when it gets cooler in the desert.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on what is just the first, of many successful and fun trips!
    of some of those gorgeous views?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nice write up on your road trip. Colorado and Northern AZ have some beautiful scenery to ride thru. Sounds like you two had a great trip.
    We'll have to meet up this winter, when I return.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Ride Pics

Bob, I'm still sorting and editing pics on my iPad. I'll load a few tonight when I get home from work. It is indeed beautiful country.

"Black Betty"

Spyder Garage

Azcpl85711, maybe we could meet up for a ride up to Summerhaven sometime. And Big Arm, sounds like fun when you come back this winter.

"Black Betty"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MyEleanor View Post
    Bob, I'm still sorting and editing pics on my iPad. I'll load a few tonight when I get home from work. It is indeed beautiful country.
    Cool...
    I'm pretty sure that we ALL can't wait to see them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Road Trip

My Wife and I just got back from a road trip to Michigan and the UP, from Lady Lake, Florida. We have a 2014 RT SE6, we went through Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, N & S Carolina Georgia. We put 4,048 miles round trip in 2.5 weeks. The only problem we had with the Spyder was that the compressor stopped working, as long as my wife stayed on the bike when moving the air stayed in the air bag. On the way home we also took the Skyway Parkway. My Spyder is 17 months old we have over 23,000 miles on it. All in All it was a great trip. However at 70 years old I was glade to get home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Spyder Garage

Sounds like fun MyEleanor.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice Trip report

Thanks for the report and your impressions of your RT. Looking forward to seeing your pics later!
    Ken "Tasian" Bryson
    U.S. Air Force Retired...
    RTS-SM6, "Steel Chariot"

Spyder Garage

Oldgoat, Lizard Head Pass is north of Cortez on the way to Telluride. Highway 145 I believe. That is a very nice ride.

Thanks MyEleanor. Found it & noted it down as a "to do" when we are in that area next.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Kill switch still happens to me depending on which gloves I am wearing. Just keep Rydin
    RAVENZCLAW
    2011 RT-S SM5 Timeless Black
    Baja Ron Bar
    No Other Farkles

Spyder Garage

Default Trip Pics

A few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Black Betty"

Spyder Garage

Default More pics

Couple more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Black Betty"

Spyder Garage

Couple more.
    Beautiful pix. Thanks for reminding me what Co. looks like.

Spyder Garage

Great write up and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Alan

I'm in my second childhood, only this time I have more money.

Modes of transportation
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2015 Spyder F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default brake noise

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoLucy View Post
    Great write up and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    In reverse have noticed that in reverse the brake will be loud also.
    While in California had bike serviced in Lodi mentioned this to the part employee.
    He said to hit brake pedal hard before reversing.
    Haven't tried it yet.