Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yu View Post
    Why would BRP want to do that?
    I think it's more a liability issue than a supply chain issue. The Kendas have "special motorcycle use" on the sidewalls, so I think that has the lawyers at BRP covering their corporate butts. If the dealer is willing to let you sign a waiver absolving them of any tire-related liability issues, then they should be OK mounting the tires, if you supply them. It would be a courtesy to the dealer for you to source the tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    When I was in Quebec last year for the Spyder 10th anniversary celebration I asked a BRP rep if they had any objection to dealers installing car tires. He said there was no such directive........
    Well, that word's not out. I called around my region when I needed new tires, and the five nearest dealer all said "no."

That's why I keep saying that BRP needs to explicitly make this clear to their dealers. Publish some kind of dealer-wide bulletin, or something, 'cause the word's not apparently getting out.

Heck, maybe BRP could post that statement here at Spyderlovers, and we could print it out and show our dealers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP isn't going to do that; I'm pretty sure that the Feds take a dim view of "Dark-sided" motorcycles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default DEALER INSTALLED CAR TIRES??

When I had ours changed by a dealer, he said "as long as we don't remove or install the wheel(s) from the machine, we can mount the tires". So removed the rear wheel from the machine and took it to the dealer, had the tire (Yokohoma S-drive) mounted/bal. and was on my way back home. Still cost me $45.00 for the "service" though. Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

I have discussed the dealer in previous tire threads. My dealer is one that will NOT install non OEM tires on the . They are now the ONLY dealer in the state. Next nearest dealer is 1500 miles South (Washington State) or East (Whitehorse YT.).

I am okay with it. My current Kenda fronts (2014) have 28,000 on them and still look like new. The rears are approaching 20K.

Normally I get 20K on the fronts and around 15K on the rears.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default stealers

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    When I had ours changed by a dealer, he said "as long as we don't remove or install the wheel(s) from the machine, we can mount the tires". So removed the rear wheel from the machine and took it to the dealer, had the tire (Yokohoma S-drive) mounted/bal. and was on my way back home. Still cost me $45.00 for the "service" though. Mad Mac
    If you have to do that much work ...... just take the wheel / tire to any car tire place and have it done for $10 to $15 .......Mike

Spyder Garage

I have about 11k on my second Kenda rear tire. 7800 on my first one.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I changed the rear tire( Kenda) @ 5,824 miles. I changed the rear tire to General Altimax RT43, and I have 16,176 miles on the General Altimax RT43, I have not had any problems. The rear tire was changed in Aug/Sept. 2014.

I had a Can-Am dealership install the above tire, and I signed a waiver.

Deanna

Last edited by Deanna777; 01-18-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added to post on 1/18/18 @ 7:37pm

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have discussed the dealer in previous tire threads. My dealer is one that will NOT install non OEM tires on the . They are now the ONLY dealer in the state. Next nearest dealer is 1500 miles South (Washington State) or East (Whitehorse YT.).
    You missed a few dealers in British Columbia ... LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    You missed a few dealers in British Columbia ... LOL
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Not worth the drive for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My dealer would not mount them either even tho I called first and they said they would if I brought everything in. Had them mounted at a local tire shop and brought them back to the dealer and they even refused to balance them.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    My dealer would not mount them either even tho I called first and they said they would if I brought everything in. Had them mounted at a local tire shop and brought them back to the dealer and they even refused to balance them.
    This is why I think BRP should clarify its policy, since some dealers have mounted non-OEM tires and others won't. If it's a complete ban due to liability issues, that's one thing. They should also clearly state whether they'll accept a rider signing a waiver absolving the dealer of any issues arising from use of non-OEM tires. And if so, riders must supply the tires; the dealers shouldn't have to source them.

I would just like some consistency.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you have to do that much work ...... just take the wheel / tire to any car tire place and have it done for $10 to $15 .......Mike
    Exactly!

Do you have your 'Ford' tires done at a Ford dealership? Probably not. It's a Car tire on a Car wheel. A no-brainer for any tire shop. They probably don't have a dynamic balance machine that they can get to work with it. But the truth is. Neither do most dealerships. Most Can-Am dealerships just static balance your tire, if that.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-18-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    This is why I think BRP should clarify its policy, since some dealers have mounted non-OEM tires and others won't. If it's a complete ban due to liability issues, that's one thing. They should also clearly state whether they'll accept a rider signing a waiver absolving the dealer of any issues arising from use of non-OEM tires. And if so, riders must supply the tires; the dealers shouldn't have to source them.

I would just like some consistency.
    I think you may have the wrong perspective on this. Dealerships tell you they are there to provide customer service. Looking at it from this point of view your query makes sense. But in truth. Dealerships are there to make money. Now it may be wise in this monetary pursuit to give excellent customer care. But not all dealerships see it that way.

The bottom line is. Dealerships have to ask; 'What is in it for us?' Look at it from their point of view.

1- We don't sell a tire
    2- We get the dirty end of the stick (mounting and maybe balancing someone else's tire). Which takes shop time and really, not much profit in it.
    3- We have the potential of inheriting someone else's problem. What happens if the tire is defective. What happens if the customer is not happy with the tire. What happens if there are clearance issues, etc.
    4- Though I think most dealerships use this as a ruse to get you to purchase a Kenda. I think some dealerships actually believe there is a real potential for liability. While I will admit, anything is possible. I have never heard of a single related issue using a non-Kenda tire on the Spyder.
    5- It may be that BRP has not issued any kind of blanket policy prohibiting dealerships from mounting an aftermarket tire. But they may have issued a policy stating that if a dealership does mount an aftermarket tire. The dealerships assumes all liability and BRP will not stand behind them if there is a problem.

Bottom line. It's just not worth the effort for most dealerships. But they aren't going to tell you that. They are going to give you a 'Story'. Blaming it on a BRP policy (whether it it exists or not) is a handy and efficient way to do that.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-18-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

1- We don't sell a tire
    2- We get the dirty end of the stick (mounting and maybe balancing someone else's tire). Which takes shop time and really, not much profit in it.
    3- We have the potential of inheriting someone else's problem. What happens if the tire is defective. What happens if the customer is not happy with the tire. What happens if there are clearance issues, etc.
    4- Though I think most dealerships use this as a ruse to get you to purchase a Kenda. I think some dealerships actually believe there is a real potential for liability. While I will admit, anything is possible. I have never heard of a single related issue using a non-Kenda tire on the Spyder.
    5- It may be that BRP has not issued any kind of blanket policy prohibiting dealerships from mounting an aftermarket tire. But they may have issued a policy stating that if a dealership does mount an aftermarket tire. The dealerships assumes all liability and BRP will not stand behind them if there is a problem.

Bottom line. It's just not worth the effort for most dealerships. But they aren't going to tell you that. They are going to give you a 'Story'. Blaming it on a BRP policy (whether it it exists or not) is a handy and efficient way to do that.
    I agree with what you are saying, Ron, but if Spyder dealers carried even one brand of car tyre that was exactly the same dimensions as the Kenda, then points 1, 2, 3, and part of 4 are gone. I really don’t care what brand of alternative car tyre I use as long as it is upper tier. I realise that this does not take away the fact that BRP will not stand behind the dealer in the case of liability, and that is a real showstopper, but for me, my 300lbs and my passengers xx lbs, a car tyre is virtually a necessity. I would be more than happy to sign any kind of liability waiver in this case.

Even if the dealer had a method of removing the rear wheel and parking the Spyder in a corner (I would not expect them to leave it on a hoist for obvious reasons) while I took the wheel to a tyre shop, and then returned to have them remount it, would work for me. Once again, I would be happy to sign a waiver should the tyre not fit and wear their labour costs.

I’m sure there are issues with the above, but after my hip replacement, and with bad knees, it is going to be near impossible for me to replace the tyre myself next time, and I really can’t/won’t go back to the Kenda.😉

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default CAR TIRE

Ron, I believe the reason that some dealers will mount a car tire is that they can charge for labor. Yes, they won't make money on selling a Kenda but if they were doing warranty work they wouldn't make any money on labor anyway. Charging their labor rate is better than getting nothing at all. Of the two dealers I mentioned in an earlier post, neither one have asked me to sign a waiver. I think dealers that refuse to mount a car tire are passing up business that would lead to more $$ for them versus turning the customer away!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Peteoz and JKMSPYDER immediately above have the gist of my complaint. I currently don't have the necessary jacks and stands to remove the wheels; on top of which I too have some minor physical issues that make such a task a literal pain.

As I see it, if I supply the tires, the dealer at least gets some money for his work; if I go elsewhere or do it myself, he gets zero. He also accrues some good will with his customers -- and I keep hearing that this is a desirable thing. What I also get out of it is the peace of mind knowing that it was done properly.

This is an incredibly minor thing for the dealers to do, but it would mean so much to the Spyder community.

BTW, I don't see this as "darksiding." Darksiding is mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim; that's not what's happening here.

Spyder Garage

Peteoz and JKMSPYDER immediately above have the gist of my complaint. I currently don't have the necessary jacks and stands to remove the wheels; on top of which I too have some minor physical issues that make such a task a literal pain.

As I see it, if I supply the tires, the dealer at least gets some money for his work; if I go elsewhere or do it myself, he gets zero. He also accrues some good will with his customers -- and I keep hearing that this is a desirable thing. What I also get out of it is the peace of mind knowing that it was done properly.

This is an incredibly minor thing for the dealers to do, but it would mean so much to the Spyder community.

BTW, I don't see this as "darksiding." Darksiding is mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim; that's not what's happening here.
    I understand your position and your point. It makes sense even to some dealerships. The problem you are having is that it does not matter to many dealerships for reasons that make sense to them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My local dealer will mount non-OEM tires with a written waiver. You could ask your dealer about that (they do talk to each other about these issues).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Any tire manufactured after 2814 (28th week of 2014, at the end of the DOT string of numbers on the tire) is a harder compound than ones made before that date. The harder compound MAY give you longer life depending on how you ride. My first two tires, the soft compound lasted only around 7K while my first tire with the harder compound gave me over 11K. My second harder compound tire is approaching paws up at only 8.6K but that tire has 5,500+ miles of interstate travel at high speed. I'm just about finished researching a dealer not too far away that will install a car tire for me.

I have a later 2014,7500 on original Kenda and it doesn't even look half worn.At this rate it should make 15,000.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    If a customer came in my store missing a safety shield that hangs off the back of their lawn mower deck, and wanted a tune up. The mower would leave with a new safety shield on the back of the mower deck. The customer will usually throw a fit about the $8 - $12 part, & ask to sign a waiver. I will tell him it is a safety issue, and it doesn't leave my store without it.
    So you are effectively forcing your customer to buy a safety shield, whether they want it or not, JAS? I would have thought that would be opening yourself up to litigation every bit as much as having the customer sign a waiver, especially if you are the only dealer within 150miles and the customer simply can not afford to go elsewhere. Please don’t get me wrong. I would not dream of criticising you as you are running a store (unlike me) and are fully aware of the gotchas. I am just interested.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will not allow any written waivers in my dealership. I learned in a business class I took way back in the day waivers will not hold up in court.

The courts will look at it like... As a professional in my field I know exactly why that safety shield is on the back of the mower deck, & I should have never have let a consumer sign a waiver that doesn't fully understand why it is there in the 1st place. So I would be deemed to some of the fault, simply because I know better as a trained professional, over the general consumer with lack of knowledge.

So I'm sure there are a lot of other dealerships out there that also see things as too big of a liability risk even with a waiver signed.
    I give you kudos as a small businessman and I wish you well. But, that doesn't qualify you to give advice involving legal liability. Also, lawn mower salesman / mechanic is not a recognized profession in any state, that I know of. It may be a recognized trade, I don't know.

Legal liability varies state by state. In my state (Utah), signing a waiver is acknowledgment of personal responsibility and would protect a business that was providing a requested service in spite of the owner's misgivings about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever... MY POINT IS NOT EVERY DEALERSHIP WILL TAKE THE RISK IN TODAYS SUE HAPPY WORLD
    I never said they would. I just said mine does, and it doesn't hurt to ask their dealer if they will.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-19-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't like it. Thats where you have the option to go somewhere else for your services.
    I've got a funny feeling I wouldn't feel comfortable in your shop.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    My local dealer will mount non-OEM tires with a written waiver. You could ask your dealer about that (they do talk to each other about these issues).
    Already asked, Pete.......as Ron says above, the dealer won’t do it for reasons that make sense to them, which I understand, but it needs to be all about ME !

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.