Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

I've been doing some research on Kenda tires, & it seems they CAN build pretty good tires! SmartCars here in Aust run them, & their tires not only look better, they rarely seem to have any of the issues we have with tires! Kenda make bicycle tires & tubes, many riders swear by them as 'the best' tires & tubes available; & they make Fork Lift & Loader tires, very few problems reported there?! There's more examples like that out there, & it seems they get the bulk of the good stuff, while BRP & the Spyders we are buying more often get the crap & even potentially dangerous stuff?!?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of the best sledge hammers, 1.5 kg, I've ever seen or owned is the one I bought in Finland in 1989. It was made in China!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ....As far as the Centramatic balancers are concerned I have a hard time in my mind seeing, other than from the standpoint of convenience and ease of use, how they can be better than a proper spin balance. If experience overall shows that a good spin balance is needed 3 or 4 times during the wear life of a good tire because tire wear significantly affects balance, then I'll accept that the Centramatics would be a good investment.
    It's actually the USE of the vehicle & driving on the road rather than tire wear per se that leads car & tire manufacturers to recommend that you get your wheel alignment & tire balancing done regularly throughout the life of your tires! Here in Aust, the recommendation is currently to get a wheel alignment & balance done whenever you fit new tires & then get them checked at least every 6 months or 10,000km; & also to always get them checked after a significant impact on a kerb or pothole etc - if an impact jars you so much that you hurt, even if only for an instant, then you should get your wheel alignment & tire balances checked!!

Here, we can access tire life warranties of up to 100,000km IF we comply with that regular balance & wheel alignment check regime, usually for a very reasonable cost - for the wheels on my 4WD's it's only $50 to check the balance on all the wheels (inc both spares) plus doing the w/align, so over the life of a set of 6 tires it's LESS than the cost of just one new tire!! And if you run Centramatics or similar, the balance requirement is waived & it's significantly cheaper for the w/a check alone!! I'd even go so far as to suggest that most Heavy Trucks & commercial vehicles that have a good safety & roadworthiness record here in Aus either already use Centramatics or similar devices, or they get their tires regularly balanced & their wheel alignments checked.... Just Sayin'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So JC, just to clarify.......in your opinion, with my fairly new(1500km), balanced front Kuhmos, would I be better off removing the balance weights from the wheels or not?

Pete
    My
    professional opinion is if the wheel/tire is properly balanced, there is no need to remove the weights and unbalance the assembly when installing the centramatics. When you go to install new tires, remove the old tire, all the old weights and mount the new tire with the yellow dot aligned with the valve stem and install with the centramatic.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's actually the USE of the vehicle & driving on the road rather than tire wear per se that leads car & tire manufacturers to recommend that you get your wheel alignment & tire balancing done regularly throughout the life of your tires!
    Makes sense. That's one of those maintenance admonitions I've read and heard many times, and almost as often as not, ignored. Shame on me, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Not sure why you say I feel otherwise. Sadly, what we have here is a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a defective tire. .
    Sorry
    for my failure to communicate. I think you got though anyway. We feel the out of balance and out of round Kendas are defective. You seem to agree with that. BRP does not. I do not think its right, I also do not think I can do a darn thing to change BRPs mind. BUT I can have great tires on my and my customers bikes that do not have these problems.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

.... Shame on me, right?
    Absolutely!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's actually the USE of the vehicle & driving on the road rather than tire wear per se that leads car & tire manufacturers to recommend that you get your wheel alignment & tire balancing done regularly throughout the life of your tires! Here in Aust, the recommendation is currently to get a wheel alignment & balance done whenever you fit new tires & then get them checked at least every 6 months or 10,000km; & also to always get them checked after a significant impact on a kerb or pothole etc - if an impact jars you so much that you hurt, even if only for an instant, then you should get your wheel alignment & tire balances checked!!

Here, we can access tire life warranties of up to 100,000km IF we comply with that regular balance & wheel alignment check regime, usually for a very reasonable cost - for the wheels on my 4WD's it's only $50 to check the balance on all the wheels (inc both spares) plus doing the w/align, so over the life of a set of 6 tires it's LESS than the cost of just one new tire!! And if you run Centramatics or similar, the balance requirement is waived & it's significantly cheaper for the w/a check alone!! I'd even go so far as to suggest that most Heavy Trucks & commercial vehicles that have a good safety & roadworthiness record here in Aus either already use Centramatics or similar devices, or they get their tires regularly balanced & their wheel alignments checked.... Just Sayin'
    kenda does make some good tires, truck & trailer tires. but i hear a lot of complaints about them on here & on the
    indian forum. when i installed some new kenda's for a member here i did see problems in them when balancing & 1 could not
    be balanced at all. the more i see & hear of kenda tires for bikes the more i feel i will change them when mine are low, i think
    i will be going with vredstein. i have not had problems with mine & i have 9k on them, i don't do a lot of mileage so i will be
    changing them because of age next year.

Spyder Garage

I installed the yokohama tire at discount tire for 8.00 and removed 12 of those sticky weights of of the rim. I put the centramatic on and it is smooth as I can tell at 24psi. Was I supposed to leave the 12 weights on there? It has no bounce or anything. Wanted the hydroedge, but discontinued.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

from what I understand the weights should be left on as you have must have got lucky because you are saying the front dont shake while driving

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tim1 View Post
    I installed the yokohama tire at discount tire for 8.00 and removed 12 of those sticky weights of of the rim. I put the centramatic on and it is smooth as I can tell at 24psi. Was I supposed to leave the 12 weights on there? It has no bounce or anything. Wanted the hydroedge, but discontinued.

The weights were for the Kenda. I would have suggested balancing the new tire prior to mounting the wheel on the bike but yours turned out fine. If its smooth, leave it be.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Never seen these before, what makes them worth $100 ea?

Ive had my Spyder 5 years, still have factory front tires, on my second rear tire.

Never had an unbalanced feeling, nor unusual tire wear since I originally laser aligned my bike.

Just wondering how this is worth it over balancing? Can do a lot of balancing for $300. Lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Never seen these before, what makes them worth $100 ea?

Ive had my Spyder 5 years, still have factory front tires, on my second rear tire.

Never had an unbalanced feeling, nor unusual tire wear since I originally laser aligned my bike.

Just wondering how this is worth it over balancing? Can do a lot of balancing for $300. Lol
    You sure CAN do a lot of balancing of OEM tyres for $300, Snoopy, but for those of us who, for whatever reason, have moved to 3rd party car tyres and don’t have a Can Am dealer to fit them, balancing can present issues for the tyre shops. The Centramatics are a one off purchase, address the issues where tyre shops may damage your hub if they aren’t careful balancing, and for me, provide excellent value for money.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Ah, so an issue with balancing or an issue w non-motorcycle tires.

I couldn’t find a tire shop who could mount my new rear tire and had to take it to a BRP dealer, who seemed to balance it fine.

Maybe fronts would be an issue on mine, don’t know yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Ah, so an issue with balancing or an issue w non-motorcycle tires.
    I couldn’t find a tire shop who could mount my new rear tire and had to take it to a BRP dealer, who seemed to balance it fine.
    Maybe fronts would be an issue on mine, don’t know yet.
    Yeah, the tyre shop was worried about their balancer damaging the integrated F3 hub, Snoopy.

My dealer (200km away) would not replace the Kenda with a Kuhmo, so I had to do it myself. I could have had the rear balanced at a local motorbike shop, but their balancer was broken at the time, and they were waiting for a part from overseas, so I left the rear unbalanced and went with Lamonster’s Centramatics.....figured I may as well go with them on all 3 wheels, even though the tyre shop was able to balance the fronts safely. Overkill perhaps, but hey

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Ok, cool. Thanks for the thoughts.