Thread: Sad day.

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

You bring up a number of good points. This is way beyond my expertise. Your comment about a non Spyder mechanic confuses me a bit. Why would a non Spyder mechanic be of value? Currently it is at Tulsa Supersports and that is the only resource I know.

It sounds like there are a number of pitfalls and I am not sure how to avoid them though it does appear the bike is mine plus the funds they are sending me.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    You bring up a number of good points. This is way beyond my expertise. Your comment about a non Spyder mechanic confuses me a bit. Why would a non Spyder mechanic be of value? Currently it is at Tulsa Supersports and that is the only resource I know.

It sounds like there are a number of pitfalls and I am not sure how to avoid them though it does appear the bike is mine plus the funds they are sending me.
    Well that part is good. Silver lining.

My comment was of the mindset of someone who is a competent and well equipped mechanic who is used to working on small engines could perform the swap for you. This is not the type of thing you would have to be familiar with a Spyder to be able to complete. What I am saying is that an independent non-brp mechanic could do a frame swap and potentially save a lot of money.

Edit: IMO you will either find an independent to fix it, or it really is totalled. Sounds to me that you will be in it at least 5k and likely closer to 10k at that labor rate. $4500 for a frame swap is actual robbery...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: 'an independent'

Spyder Garage

My 2000 GMC C-3500 SLE Dually pickup truck was totaled in a head-on wreck (not my fault, other driver coming my way made a sudden illegal left-hand turn not 20 feet in front of me with a pickup almost as large as my own!)... I bought my truck back from insurance for salvage even though the passenger's side frame was accordioned at the transmission mount and un-repairable, then had a reputable shop replace the entire frame and put a new front clip on and paint to match. Best decision I ever made, I still own and drive this truck TODAY and at over 20 years old (the truck, not me) people still think it's a brand new pickup truck.

You have an emotional investment in that bike, don't discount what that costs to replace (impossible to replace!).... if it can be reasonably rebuilt go ahead and do so IMHO! You will be so happy to have YOUR bike back!

- Michael