Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas door for rt seat

Hi Spyder riders, I am looking at putting a gas door in the seat of my 2016 rt. Just wandering how it is done, and also the size of door to use.

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

BLUEKNIGHT911 a member here and resident guru on installing gas doors...he will be able to tell you what to get...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS / FUEL DOOR FOR SEAT

Quote Originally Posted by BOW View Post
    Hi Spyder riders, I am looking at putting a gas door in the seat of my 2016 rt. Just wandering how it is done, and also the size of door to use.
    I did some digging and found a Blk one for you E-bay #263105286659
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-27-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default GAS DOORS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    BLUEKNIGHT911 a member here and resident guru on installing gas doors...he will be able to tell you what to get...
    .. .... Thanks - while you were typing , I was already searching my database ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Use search and you will find a another solution that might help..

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel door

Thank you BlueKnight911, for your help with finding a place to get a door. That way Queenie doesn't have to get off anymore

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike installed mine: feed him enough good barbecue, and I'm sure that he'll make a house-call!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Door

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1290148]I searched my database of doors that work and if you want one in Chrome this is an E-bay # 142407332764 ...$ 23.99 it's on sale ......... All the black ones are out of stock ( about 5 sources ) ....PS you don't just slap this on the side of the seat and it's done !!! ........ Mike ........PS, I did some digging and found a Blk one for you E-bay #263105286659 Mike, I couldn't find either one in a search of E Bay

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I searched my database of doors that work and if you want one in Chrome this is an E-bay # 142407332764 ...$ 23.99 it's on sale ......... All the black ones are out of stock ( about 5 sources ) ....PS you don't just slap this on the side of the seat and it's done !!! ........ Mike ........PS, I did some digging and found a Blk one for you E-bay #263105286659
    How about a link, Mike. Searching ebay using item # doesn't work for me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... Your kidding ...right .... Go onto E-bay ... ( in the what you are looking for Box ) just type in any of the numbers in above posts for either Chrome or Black ....it goes directly to that item ..... Not being snide here , but if you think that is difficult ... when the door arrives .........it doesn't go on the seat by itself ..... Mike
    Yes, Mike, you are being snide. I did put those numbers in the search box and I got no results. Then, I put various relevant key words in the search box and came up with everything to do with fuel doors, Spyder seats, etc - except for those items.

What is so difficult about posting a direct link to the item? I didn't think I was asking that much. And, I don't want a door in my seat but I'm sure I could handle the mod okay if I did.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I like Mikes solution best. The "other" solution was a Corbin seat. I had two. Prices starting at $750. I was happy with mine--others not so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yo Pete ... Do you think I didn't or wouldn't post the because I decided to be an *SSHOLE ...... IF I NEW HOW TO POST A LINK ....I SURE AS *HIT WOULD HAVE ..............and - 263105286659 ...shows the Black gas door on my computer .... the other number ( chrome door ) no longer exists because the seller doesn't have anymore to sell so e-bay pulled the Ad .... I checked for another chrome one and that seller is out also.......Sorry if I'm computer illiterate, I'll work on those skills when I have some Free time - possibly in Jan. 2018
    Hello BK, I didn't think anything ill of you, nor did I say anything derogatory. I'm sorry my suggestion that you post a link upset you so.

To post a link you just copy the url (the website link of the ebay page you're viewing) at the top of your browser window and paste it into the body of your message. Like this;

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...86659&_sacat=0
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I tried it. Success. I don't want a gas door though.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Worked for me. Hopefully, this link will work, too. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...86659&_sacat=0
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

I'm seriously thinking of this mod also.
    But I don't want a door with a lock. I don't need to carry around another damn key.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I found this one 201488851223 on ebay
    not sure if its the one others fit
    on my eBay it shows cost + P/P to the UK
    seller is based in the USA
    i just posted the number in the search box and it came up
    Hope this helps
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used one that fits 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram pickup

Spyder Garage

Default LOCK OR NOT

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    But I don't want a door with a lock. I don't need to carry around another damn key.
    .. ..The door may have a lock ..... but you don't have to use it .... and it won't lock accidently .... just having will be a deterrent ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default GAS DOORS

If you go searching on E-bay or Amazon .... make sure you are buying a " billet alumin." door ... they also sell COVERS and they aren't always clear about that fact ..... Also look at ALL the pics as to how to mount them ....And Do NOT get a DOOR for a JEEP they are too large and have a funnel neck you would have to remove = PITA .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default gas door install video

Does anyone have a video on installing the gas door into the seat?
    HughT - US Army Major (Retired)

Spyder Garage

Default INSTAL VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by HughT View Post
    Does anyone have a video on installing the gas door into the seat?
    There are PICS around but no video that I know of .... Install is not difficult .... I've done 18 or so, finding nice bolts or machine screws can be a pain 1/4 inch works .... use "T" nuts , cut off two prongs on ea. file down the other two ( the seat pan doesn't take the prongs easily )... A trick I learned was using two or three 1/4 X 2 in bolts to squeeze the ring down to compress the Foam then you can use shorter bolts ( 3/4 in long Torx )these will reach the "T" nuts because they have a long shank !! ..... Put the DOOR on the left side of the seat ....it goes very far forward leave about 1/2in at top and bottom at the front of the Ring so the bolts will hold .... pick which way it should open .... I would have someone holding it now & BURN the holes only through the seat material ( a soldering iron or heat a large nail ), then you use the drill DON'T JUST DRILL IT FIRST .... the Bit won't cut the nylon threads in the seat material and it will GATHER .... I would just do the TWO that you use the long bolts on ,they should be opposite each other ... then tighten them down and do the other holes ... I prefer the hinge at the back because I don't use the bolts there ....the seat PAN has a large bump there so you would need 2 in. long bolts ( they aren't needed anyway ) leave the dummy ones that hold the HINGE for the actual door for just that purpose .... Now you need to CUT the material around the inside of the RING ... I use a box cutter with a new blade ...leave a little extra around the inside edge , this keeps the door from going past the edge of the ring .....now you have the PAN to cut .... I use a hole saw cutter 2 to 2 1/2 in max size ( a larger one is too difficult to control - I learned this lesson ) run your Drill BACKWARDS ... for the rest of the PAN I use the very course stone in my dremel ... you can get one for your drill ,it will just be slower ..... you can smooth the foam with a VERY hot spoon or just paint it Black ... you may have to trim out where the Lock Latch rotates between the seat and the ring ...... Now I hope someone makes this a STICKY so it can be found be someone else .... This the most comprehensive Install instructions I have ever written and I don't want to do it again.... if some talented member can Bookmark this or somehow make retrieval EASY I would appreciate it....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-27-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    A locking gas door? Don't think they are needed on our 's. Never had an issue with over 50,000 miles of the Corbin gas doors--without locks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default TO LOCK OR NOT TO LOCK

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A locking gas door? Don't think they are needed on our 's. Never had an issue with over 50,000 miles of the Corbin gas doors--without locks.
    That's not the issue .... try and find one ( that is the correct size, made sturdy eenough, & has the right hinge mechanism ) ..... almost all of them MADE have locks ..... Your car / trk has door locks it's you choice to use or not.............. Mike .........One of my motto's is " Adjust or Perish "

Spyder Garage

That's not the issue .... try and find one ( that is the correct size, made sturdy eenough, & has the right hinge mechanism ) ..... almost all of them MADE have locks ..... Your car / trk has door locks it's you choice to use or not.............. Mike .........One of my motto's is " Adjust or Perish "
    I can adjust to your point of view. It's a moot issue for me now. The bikes with the Corbins are gone. Both seats need to be "unlocked" for us to get gas. We don't ride with passengers or gear, so it's only us that have to get off when it's time for gas. I am back to safe, secure, and no gas door.

We have a beautiful sunny day today. Time to go for a ride, put on some miles, and re-test how we feel about no gas doors.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-27-2017 at 03:32 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

• 1/4" machine screws work .... use "T" nuts , cut off two prongs on ea. file down the other two ( the seat pan doesn't take the prongs easily )... A trick I learned was using two 1/4 X 2 in bolts to squeeze the ring down to compress the Foam then you can use shorter bolts ( 3/4 in long Torx )these will reach the "T" nuts because they have a long shank !! .....
    • Put the DOOR on the left side of the seat ....it goes very far forward leave about 1/2in at top and bottom at the front of the Ring so the bolts will hold .... pick which way it should open .... I would have someone holding it now & BURN the holes only through the seat material ( a soldering iron or heat a large nail ), then you use the drill
    • DON'T JUST DRILL IT FIRST .... the Bit won't cut the nylon threads in the seat material and it will GATHER .... I would just do the TWO that you use the long bolts on ,they should be opposite each other ... then tighten them down and do the other holes ... I prefer the hinge at the back because I don't use the bolts there ....
    • the seat PAN is very far from the seat material and you would need 2 in. long bolts ( they aren't needed anyway ) leave the dummy ones that hold the HINGE for the actual door for just that purpose ....
    • Now you need to CUT the material around the inside of the RING ... I use a box cutter with a new blade ...leave a little extra around the inside edge , this keeps the door from going past the edge of the ring .....
    • now you have the PAN to cut .... I use a hole saw cutter 2 to 2 1/2 in max size ( a larger one is too difficult to control - I learned this lesson ) run your drill BACKWARDS ...
    • for the rest of the PAN I use the very course stone in my dremel ... you can get one for your drill ,it will just be slower .....
    • you can smooth the foam with a VERY hot spoon or just paint it Black ... you may have to trim out where the Lock Latch rotates between the seat and the ring ...... Now I hope someone makes this a STICKY so it can be found be someone else ....

This the most comprehensive Install instructions I have ever written and I don't want to do it again.... if some talented member can Bookmark this or somehow make retrieval EASY I would appreciate it....... Mike
    Mike, I don't think I have access to make a sticky of it...does anyone else know how to do this?
    2014 RTL Platinum