Spyder Garage

Default RT instrument cluster leaking

Just got back from Maggie Valley and noticed what looked like water had got on the inside of my instrument cluster I took it to my dealer on Tuesday and asked them to put in a warranty claim with BRP. Dealer just called me to tell me that BRP has authorized the replacement for the instrument cluster.
    Very pleased with my dealer and BRP20181016_171725.jpg20181016_171901.jpg20181016_172021.jpg

I have done an update which appears at the end of this post
    Last edited by spydernatic; 12-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It seems odd that they would replace the whole cluster. There is no need. Just replace the lens and gasket. Now you will have the hassle of keeping a record of the original mileage and disclose that when you sell it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It seems odd that they would replace the whole cluster. There is no need. Just replace the lens and gasket. Now you will have the hassle of keeping a record of the original mileage and disclose that when you sell it.
    I believe my dealer was concerned about corrosion from the moisture and did not want to have that problem later on.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Let us know about the odometer reading. When I put a new cluster on my Triumph the original mileage came right up. Seems all that info was stored in the computer and not the cluster. Wonder how the Spyders work?
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I had my 15 RTS cluster replaced at 350 miles due to stuck speedo. The new one started back at 0. My friends did the same at 1300 miles and his started at 0. Being digital you would think they could reset it to your current miles.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Usually it is just the lens that needs replacing. The anti-fog coating starts running. You are lucky. BRP refused to allow the lens replacement under warranty because it was "cosmetic." As mentioned before, my dealer said that a lot of what BRP authorizes depends on who answers the phone at BRP. My hazing headlight lenses were also denied under the "cosmetic" reason. So much for purchasing a BEST warranty.

When the lens gets bad enough, I'll spend the $18.00 for the lens. I wouldn't want BRP to file for bankruptcy by replacing my console lens under the terms of my BEST warranty.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The parts list for the 2014 RTS shows the entire gauge cluster as a single part. The lens and gasket are not listed separately.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The parts list for the 2014 RTS shows the entire gauge cluster as a single part. The lens and gasket are not listed separately.
    2014 RT parts listings. Gasket always come with the lens. As shown on other parts listing for the same part number.

cluster lens.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 RT parts listings. Gasket always come with the lens. As shown on other parts listing for the same part number.

cluster lens.jpg
    Interesting! This is what I was looking at!
    Cluster parts.JPG

BRP either changed their mind about what parts they want to offer, or the manual I have a copy of was an early edition with an error.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If they replace the cluster, your mileage will reset. It will also result in a mileage discrepancy flag on carfax for the vin after your next state inspection. Your title will show 'not actual mileage' when sold. Matters to some, not others.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If they replace the cluster, your mileage will reset. It will also result in a mileage discrepancy flag on carfax for the vin after your next state inspection. Your title will show 'not actual mileage' when sold. Matters to some, not others.
    Does your aftermarket BUDS have the option to reset mileage to be correct, we know the dealers do not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Does your aftermarket BUDS have the option to reset mileage to be correct, we know the dealers do not.
    I have not seen a way to reset mileage in the cluster.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I have not seen a way to reset mileage in the cluster.
    When I was shopping for BUDS years ago, I thought one feature was mileage reset.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Instrument Panel Cleaning

Found this on You tube maybe helpful if anyone has a problem with the Cluster glass
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Found this on You tube maybe helpful if anyone has a problem with the Cluster glass
    Wow I would never had thought that it could be so easy I was sure that it would be a sealed unit due to it being where water can get to it. So now we will see if the whole unit will be replaced or cleaned.My dealer said they were going to order a new unit ...but what they say and what they do is sometimes is vastly different. I will update this post when the work is completed.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    When I was shopping for BUDS years ago, I thought one feature was mileage reset.
    Nope

Megatec.jpg

That is for a Megatech license for 2016 and earlier. The Mechatronic Expert license for BUDS2 for 2017 and later reads about the same.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Cleaning the lens looks to be one of the easiest chores done on Spyders. I wonder why the dealer and BRP didn't just clean it....? Was there something else wrong within the cluster? If there was nothing else wrong, I would have opted to have the lens cleaned and not have to deal with mileage issues.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Oh well
    Nope

Megatec.jpg

That is for a Megatech license for 2016 and earlier. The Mechatronic Expert license for BUDS2 for 2017 and later reads about the same.
    Oh well.
    Possibly it was discussed during our phone conversation or maybe I misunderstood.
    Stepped away from purchasing aftermarket BUDS for various reasons, so never went further than talking with the Megatech folks and deciding if it was a viable in a business plan.

Spyder Garage

Latest update on my instrument cluster, Mountain motorsports called me to tell me that the cluster was in and I need to bring in the Spyder. While they had it I added Tricled A arm led lights and a Custom Dynamics high mount 3rd brake light. Got the Spyder back after 2 days they were very busy with all the 4 wheelers coming in for hunting season, all looked good very happy with the Tricled lights as they turn amber when you turn on you turn signal great safety addition. When parking my Spyder in my work shop and having the sun behind on turning off the ignition I was shocked what I saw on the instrument cluster. There were scratches all across the cluster on the inside of the lens and there was moisture in the cluster as it fogged up except for 2 ovals in the middle of each side.
    I called the dealership and sent them photos they were very surprised and admitted that nobody had seen this when they released my Spyder to me. The service advisor told me they would have to work on this to see how they were going to resolve this.
    Here are the photos.
    20181117_162552.jpg20181117_165120.jpg20181117_165157.jpg
    Dealership told me so as not to get my miles revert back to 0 miles they just replaced the lens on my old cluster but did not see the scratches???? they managed to order another instrument cluster for me and replaced it I now have 0 miles on my 2017 RT and so far it all looks good I will check again today as I got home in the dark .....but on my way home when I put on my turn signal to turn they began hyper flashing. I parked the Spyder for the night and called Tricled for help and their technician was extremely helpful and knew the answer right away ....so this would be helpful to all Spyder riders if this problem comes up. I was told to get the Spyder running and the turn on the emergency flashers and hold down the emergency flasher button for 10 seconds this would reset the blinkers, I did this and they are now flashing normal .....so all ends well. Thanks go out to my Dealership and to Tricled for for helping me finally getting this all resolved.
    Last edited by spydernatic; 12-06-2018 at 01:24 PM.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White