Thread: Unprepared!

Spyder Garage

Default Unprepared!

My wife & I went for a day trip to Velvet Ice Cream plant in Utica, OH yesterday, it was our 30 wedding anniversary and thought a nice ride was a good way to spend the day together. The temps here in OH yesterday and today are well in the 90's. We set off on our journey with what I thought was plenty of water. However, as the day progressed it became painfully obvious that the 6 bottles of water wasn't nearly enough. My wife began to suffer from heat exhaustion on the trip home. We decided to push through it which in hind sight was not the right call. We should have stopped more frequently and found places to cool down and rest. I know what we did wrong on this trip and I just wanted to let others know not to mess around with the hot weather. When you ride in this heat make sure you cover up so you don't bake in the sun, and stop frequently to hydrate and cool down. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Camelbak!!! Can't beat 'em.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope both of you have recovered with no lasting ill effects.

How far was this trip ?

And the advice to "cover up" needs to be qualified a bit.
    Good air flow is as important as good hydration.

Living in Florida, I sometimes think my RT does TOO good a job of keeping the wind off of me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I hope both of you have recovered with no lasting ill effects.

How far was this trip ?

Living in Florida, I sometimes think my RT does TOO good a job of keeping the wind off of me.
    Indeed! we pulled the windshield off our 2016 F3L until the cooler weather gets here. the windshield aerodynamics work TOO good....
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Spyder Garage

Default Good reminder

First off hope you both recovered well...Great reminder to folks now that the weather is getting hot. Dress for it hydration is most important. When getting gas re stock water supply....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you always prepare for the most severe conditions that you might encounter: you'll never be caught unprepared.
    I hope that you both recover quickly and completely!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Like Chupaca says.. restock when you stop

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    First off hope you both recovered well...Great reminder to folks now that the weather is getting hot. Dress for it hydration is most important. When getting gas re stock water supply....
    We usually carry a six-pack of cold water bottles when we leave out as well as ice in the softside cooler and some wetted down neck wraps. Like you said, sometimes the water is used up, and we take advantage of gas stops as well as refill water bottles if at a restaurant stop. Long days in the heat take the liquid out of you--must replace to avoid heat exhaustion, and sometimes it requires extra cooling stops in the AC somewhere. Glad you're recovering!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

My significant other( vtrider) and I before we leave to go riding, we take water or Power Aid with us. Even if we are on the road, when we gas up/ we get more water/ or Power Aid/ Gator Aid.

Everyone out there stay hydrated,( water or other liquid) and take breaks, when riding in the HOT Weather.

I hope you folks are ok. P.S. Happy anniversary!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We can never be reminded too often of the need to stay hydrated. Thanks for the reminder and glad you're okay.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Camelbak!!! Can't beat 'em.
    Filled with ice cubes and one cup of water at home. You will have ice cold water to drink all day. Remember to blow into the tube, to blow the hot water in the tube back into the bladder, before sucking the ice cold water.
    Ride Safe,
    Roger
    Last edited by Explorer; 06-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Too much airflow can contribute to dehydration and you don't even realize it. What with the heat making you sweat (losing hydration) and the airflow wicking the moisture away faster than normal you can find yourself in trouble rather quickly. Wet your hand and place it in front of a fan. Feels cool doesn't it. It is also drying quickly isn't it. This is happening to your body while riding. I wear mesh jacket and pants which give nice airflow and I wear a LONG SLEEVE lightweight shirt under the mesh jacket. You lose a lot of fluid from bare skin and the long sleeve shirt helps slow this and yet allows airflow. Break out your National Geographic mags and check out the photos of folks who live in hot climates. They cover up for protection from the sun and for protection from dehydration. Riding nekkid on a hot day may feel great, but you had better be taking in a lot of water.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here
    My wife Julie and I when we travel in the heat always take plenty of water along,
    We have 3 soft sided Colman coolers that fit into the side bags on all out motorcycles
    each of the smaller ones hold 6 but you can cheat and put one on top of the others
    and get 7.... we always freeze 3 for each cooler and that way on the trip up we each
    have 3 or 4 and on the way back hours later the frozen ones are ice cold to drink.
    When I still had my GoldWing I had one of the racks that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver
    that way we could take a large ice chest with just about anything we wanted to drink
    and eat...
    The collapsible coolers are easy to find at Target, WalMart, Kmart even Walgreen's.
    Get a large neck scarf dunk it in cold water ring it out and wrap it around your neck when it is
    super hot say 115 or so it will help a lot.
    Ride safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    My wife & I went for a day trip to Velvet Ice Cream plant in Utica, OH yesterday, it was our 30 wedding anniversary and thought a nice ride was a good way to spend the day together. The temps here in OH yesterday and today are well in the 90's. We set off on our journey with what I thought was plenty of water. However, as the day progressed it became painfully obvious that the 6 bottles of water wasn't nearly enough. My wife began to suffer from heat exhaustion on the trip home. We decided to push through it which in hind sight was not the right call. We should have stopped more frequently and found places to cool down and rest. I know what we did wrong on this trip and I just wanted to let others know not to mess around with the hot weather. When you ride in this heat make sure you cover up so you don't bake in the sun, and stop frequently to hydrate and cool down. Chris
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-18-2018 at 09:46 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BOB I bet you were in the Boy Scouts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you always prepare for the most severe conditions that you might encounter: you'll never be caught unprepared.
    I hope that you both recover quickly and completely!

Spyder Garage

Default Preparation

Most everything that has been written here is true and very important. One thing that is almost always overlooked is your preparation for your summer riding. Well before you take that first summer ride you need to start preparing your body for the heat. Hydrating on a daily basis is the key to not getting into a bad situation with dehydration. Water is so important to your body all year round but in the summer it is even more essential. Drinking half of your body weight in ounces daily is recommended year round and not just on the day of your 12 hour riding trip in 90 plus temperatures. Stay prepared by drinking water all day long and all year long and you won't get into a heat related situation that might turn deadly quickly. Stopping and cooling off frequently on your ride is also a good habit to get into. It not only cools down your body but it also keeps you from developing fatigue. Covering up (not only for road safety but also in hot temperatures) to keep your skin protected and hydrated (from your sweat). I never go out for a ride without my large insulated cup on my Spyder, even in the winter when the temps are colder. Your body is 85% water and that water needs to be replaced on a regular basis.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Happy anniversary. 30 years that's a good start

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides drinking plenty of water and stopping along the way, I have an evaporative vest I wear under my mesh. It really helps keep me comfortable. When it dries out, I can wet it down again whenever I stop.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Too much airflow can contribute to dehydration and you don't even realize it. Riding nekkid on a hot day may feel great, but you had better be taking in a lot of water.
    While that is all true, a really LOT of people don't absorb or understand all that they read.......so some of what you said can be dangerous to some people.

Your body needs to COOL. The only way it has to do that is by evaporating sweat from your skin.
    The only way that happens is with air flow.

I think it would be hard to pinpoint whether too MUCH air flow or too LITTLE might be the worst.
    There needs to be a balance and I think it is better to err on the side of more air flow and not less.

When I ride with a mesh jacket, I have only a T-shirt under. The jacket provides more than enough protection from the direct sun.
    When I ride without the jacket, then long sleeves are required.......for a ride of more than a half hour or so.

YOU SHOULD NEVER WEAR A NON-VENTILATED JACKET IN REALLY HOT WEATHER.

Spyder Garage

Be prepared that's the Boy Scouts marching song, be prepared as the Boy Scouts march along etc. etc. ( now we have to make up a new

song right girls?)

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

While that is all true, a really LOT of people don't absorb or understand all that they read.......so some of what you said can be dangerous to some people.

Your body needs to COOL. The only way it has to do that is by evaporating sweat from your skin.
    The only way that happens is with air flow.

I think it would be hard to pinpoint whether too MUCH air flow or too LITTLE might be the worst.
    There needs to be a balance and I think it is better to err on the side of more air flow and not less.

When I ride with a mesh jacket, I have only a T-shirt under. The jacket provides more than enough protection from the direct sun.
    When I ride without the jacket, then long sleeves are required.......for a ride of more than a half hour or so.

YOU SHOULD NEVER WEAR A NON-VENTILATED JACKET IN REALLY HOT WEATHER.
    Excess airflow is always best in hot conditions, BUT it does mandate that the person drinks to replace fluids.

Some off the most painful off road bicycle races I have competed in were 6 hour events. Never fun when hot with no breeze, but hot with a light breeze hurts the most. It requires huge amounts of water, bannanas, Gatorade, energy stuff, pickles and pickle juice.

Until you experience true dehydration, most people just blow it off as nothing. After becoming truly dehydrated, wirh foggy head and cramps plus more, you never want to experience that again. One easy tip to consider, if you ever feel goosebumps for no good reason on a hot day, you are or very close to dehydrated and overheated.

Also, smart folks drink water or stuff, not beer, prior to getting thirsty at the mouth. Once you become thirsty, that too is a warning sign to continually drink more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Filled with ice cubes and one cup of water at home. You will have ice cold water to drink all day.
    Ride Safe,
    Roger
    Good method no doubt, done it many times before myself.

Ensure you have the insulated tube option for best results.

The Camelbak is great, but can also be a curse limiting airflow. Years ago, Camelbak made the Icebak version. Very little insulation on the back pad. Was nice with cold stuff in the bladder, kept your core temp lower.

Spyder Garage

If you are traveling alone, stay hydrated and stop often, and take stretch brakes. Bring extra water,& liquids, wear light colored clothing.

Before leaving on a trip if you can get an other spyder rider, just in case if something does happen.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Just like many other aspects of riding you need to find out what works for you when it comes to riding in extreme heat. I nor anyone else can do that for you, all we can do is offer up what works for us as individuals. Many people have a cutoff point for cold weather riding, but few have one for extreme heat. I took my first cross country trip at age 18, that was forty five years ago. I know what works for me and at what temperature extremes I stay off the bike. If I ride 100 miles and don't need to visit the little motorcyclists room than I increase my water intake. Extreme cold usually makes you uncomfortable enough to call it a day or to seek warmth. Extreme heat doesn't always give warning until you are trouble. Know your limits.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Dave here
    My wife Julie and I when we travel in the heat always take plenty of water along,
    The collapsible coolers are easy to find at Target, WalMart, Kmart even Walgreen's.
    Get a large neck scarf dunk it in cold water ring it out and wrap it around your neck when it is
    super hot say 115 or so it will help a lot.
    Ride safe
    Dave
    I just came back from a business trip to Las Vegas.
    I had planned to rent a Harley and ride out to Hoover Dam.
    Instead, I elected to rent a car.
    I think that was a wiser decision.
    My philosophy regarding riding:
    Wherever you go, you prepare for the worst weather, you never know if you might get caught.
    But you don't LEAVE in bad weather.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey