Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
Even if your a single guy or gal or grandparent of 20 It seems as though with all the miles you ride and all the money you spend on these toys and their upkeep and extras you could probably put a kid through college or donate to the orphaned children's homes and reap the benefits that far out weigh motorcycle trivia. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my spyder quite a bit but it isn't my no 1 love or even no 10. I do appreciate the how-tos and simple ways to save money on tires in stead of BPR's million dollar rubber with gold lettering or ways to avoid bike malfunctions that are common. This site is invaluable in many ways but to lissen to story after story and complaints and thousands of dollars spent on crap just to make you look important and better and smarter is a waste. Maybe we should start a Bull Sh__ category. Just speaking my mind...
Jimmy, I live just outside of a super-wealthy community and the things these elites say and the way they spend their money on third and fourth 'homes' that will be occupied only a few weeks a year make me cringe sometimes. They just recently raised $38 million through charitable donations to buy some open space to keep their 'buffer zone' intact for eons. I made a comment on social media that I can think of much better ways to spend $38 million in charitable donations that would directly benefit people less fortunate than themselves. The responses I got to that were pretty hostile for the most part. On the other hand, the same community supports local charities, including the one my wife runs (a domestic violence shelter), a non-profit health clinic, etc. so it's hard to get too upset when they do something so obviously self-serving once in awhile. And, I have to remind myself that every community has in it people who share my values and those who don't.

How does that relate to your comments? Well, to begin with I really doubt any members of this forum are independently wealthy as you're suggesting. We're Spyder enthusiasts sharing our appreciation of these wonderful machines with anyone who cares to join the conversation. I imagine the degree of passion and enthusiasm runs the gamut also from casual riders to those who have devoted themselves exclusively to the sport. I think the demographics of the Spyder community tend to be older people with disposable income and time to enjoy what they do, but not all. I think you'll find that, once the kids have finally left the nest, you will also have more time and money to enjoy 'extra-curricular activities', including Spydering.

You, like others on the forum, make your own choices as to how you spend your time, money and other resources. If some choose to spend their money on modifications, accessories or just plain 'farkle', why should you take that so personally?

I hope you can make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in and enjoy owning and riding your bike in your own style, regardless of what others do.