Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Question Hard break in and warranty

I have read this thread with keen interest since I appear to be getting a new engine in my bike. If I use this break in method and I blow another engine, is there diagnostic information that would show it and subsequently void my warranty? 'm a little gun shy now as you can imagine....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty uses 87... proof rum!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    I have read this thread with keen interest since I appear to be getting a new engine in my bike. If I use this break in method and I blow another engine, is there diagnostic information that would show it and subsequently void my warranty? 'm a little gun shy now as you can imagine....
    BUDS gives the tech a graph, with the percentage of operation spent at each rpm range, the average rpm, and the maximum rpm. Every time they hook up to BUDS they see it. If you have been on the rev limiter, they will know.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Buds RPM on our 08

On our 08, at Daytona I was having issues with the GPS (gear position sensor), at high rpms in first gear the neutal and reverse lights would flash back and forth. So the rep., reset it for me and then he look at the RPM chart to see how I was driving it. He said there was something wrong with my BUDS, because the machine show that I was running in all RPM ranges 100% of the time, So the 08 is very great machine, it can run at minimum and at maximum all the time.

Spyder Garage

I recommend going with what the owners manual recommends. For me, better safe than sorry. The recommendatins to beat it, or be hard on it scare me and I would never do so. We have had mixed reviews on driving at the red line all the time. I will say no more because I don't want to get beat up today.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I've spouted off on this subject before, so I will refrain from getting on my soapbox. Let me just say that this is not your grandfather's Model A, or your father's 1966 Dodge Charger. Break-in needs and methods have changed radically over time. Unfortunately, people's thoughts on the subject seem to have lagged behind.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Got the Spyder free from BRP, so I did baby-it :

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, You should be proud for keeping it below 8 grand until you got out of sight of the dealership...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black